Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing euros to dollars? is the bank the best option?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Im going to america on thursday and i need to get dollars in the nxt few days.
    Should i go to the bank or the credit union?
    I was told to go with credit union as the conversion is better but i have to wait a few days to get the dollars and im afraid i wont get them in time also i think the dollar will go up and i wont get as much dollars for euros

Will the bank have to order the dollars too or will they have them allready in the bank and does anyone know what are the charges for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most banks should have dollars in stock - unless you're changing some huge amount :)

With regard to waiting - again, the difference in rates will probably be quite small and unless your changing a large amount probably won't make all that much difference. You will pay a commission (a small percentage of the amount involved). Check with the bank what their commission is before changing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

Ya it will be about 5,500 euros into dollars but the problem is my money is in a 7 day account and i cant access it until sunday :(
    Can they order it without seeing my money does anyone hve a rough idea what the charges are?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Again - contact them. It'll vary by bank as to what amounts will need ordering, what charges are involved and the charges may even be less than normal for a larger amount.

They won't bite when you phone. People seem to have this fear of the telephone instead of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

I just rang them got the number off the internet credit union cant do it until friday but im flying out thursday the bank can do it by wednesday and at the moment ill be getting it at 1 euros at 1.3711 dollars and will msot likely go down by wednesday :(

Advertisement