Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is hippie bashing in Ireland on the rise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Spannerman14

At least we'd have German V8 Bi-turbos..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's the usual Irish thing: fear of something different.

Conservatism is a mental illness IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,393 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nodin wrote: »
    Strange, because as a life long Republican, I think I'd have a mark under 'hippy' if such a group was associated with "anti-Irish nonsense". But, when I look at the Great Book Of Grudges theres no such mark... don't suppose you'd clarify what you mean?

Degsy? Elaborate beyond a basic insult? I haven't read the middle last four pages, but I'm guessing he didn't. The man is a philistine and has no idea what he's talking about, let alone elaborate.
    Degsy wrote: »
    I particularly hate hippies who move abroad and peddle thier anti-irish nonsense from behind a keyboard.
    There's nothing "different" about being a hippy,its just an unwillingness to wash and a chip on your shoulder about about people with strongly held beliefs.

I wouldn't know - I don't know anyone who fits that discription. Unless you disagree with my statement and belive Ireland to be a wonderfully tolerant and open-minded place?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

starn wrote: »
    Is there a difference ?
    Oh yes and there's some varying characteristics of each.

Hippy
    Appearance: Baggy jeans, oversize shirts, smoking weed or herbals. Always smiling happily.

Personality: your average true hippy will not give a crap what you wear, what you like to do, what you believe in, what you want, where you work etc... They'll just offer you some weed and talk about anything. They just want to be friends.

Tosser
    Appearance: Your average Tosser on the other hand is a snake in the grass. he dresses somewhat like a hippy. He'll have long hair, roll his own smokes and have fairly baggy jeans. In some cases, these cúnts wear sandles to really disguise themselves.

Personality: Completely different from a hippy. Will talk about themselves, and when you get a chance to mention what you work as, what you like, what you think of something, they will more than likely disagree so they wont be seen as conformist. They will also try and change your opinion to match theis. They only ever smile if someone is agreeing with them.

Bonus info: Tossers will talk about their plans to go to australia for a year with their friends. OR if they've been already, they will gain a detestable attitude because they feel they know the secrets to the universe from bumming around oz.

So, sadly hippies are being mistaken for tossers. And it's probably on the rise because these tossers are giving those with the long hair a bad name. Very sad stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Whatever about the hippies, it's the Beatniks we should be worried about. They're so defiant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Stop trying to use words you're not comfortable with and prove otherwise.
    tell me how i'm wrong about the countryside for example..

Well, if I had a countryside rant from one of these 'hippys' to read, O Hippy Expert....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I got called a hippie yesterday, i was wearing a black wife beater, skinny jeans and high tops.
    I laughed so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

whats a wife beater?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CianRyan wrote: »
    i was wearing a black wife beater, skinny jeans and high tops..

How was business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I got long hair, like good rock music but i ain't a hippy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

mega man wrote: »
    whats a wife beater?

Stella Artrois i think.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its mostly cuz they're all pressuring you to give you bank details to help concern.

But concern is inefficient and doesn't do much good to the people in 3rd world countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

pwd wrote: »
    i never see hippies in limerick. it's all sports enthusiasts and ruffians.

Sports enthusiasts? I've seen a lot of sportswear, but fcuk all sports being played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't know about hippie bashing but Irish people tend to bash anyone they think is different. From what I've read here no one actually knows what a hippie is. It seems that everyone here describes anyone with long hair as a hippie.

On the plus side at least the mods and the rockers have stopped fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I hate modern hippies, they don't stand for anything decent anymore except a loose affiliation with environmentalism. They are only about hemp, facial piercings, and against "big corporations, man" etc

The only decent hippies were the Leary and Kesey types back in the 60's and 70's. If I had a time machine I would use it to go back and get on the bus with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

pwd wrote: »
    i never see hippies in limerick. it's all sports enthusiasts and ruffians.

Ah the hippies in Limerick were stabbed out long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 conbhui

Valmont wrote: »
    Ah the hippies in Limerick were stabbed out long ago.

Costelloes limerick. Full of hippies, Invested with hippies!!!!
    And a couple of those pubs around the tait clock.
    They hang around tait clock afterwards and bang the rubbish bins as if they were playing drums. Your typical Irish hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trublu

Hippies,schmippies.There is an element within the youth of today that will set upon almost anyone at will.Dosen't matter who or what you are.Best bet is to beat the living **** out of one or two of them if you get a chance,and the rest will run away.Otherwise just stay indoors.:mad:

trublu wrote: »
    There is an element within the youth of today that will set upon almost anyone at will.Dosen't matter who or what you are.Best bet is to beat the living **** out of one or two of them if you get a chance,and the rest will run away.Otherwise just stay indoors.:mad:
    FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah. I wouldn't take eveything here so seriously.

He is serious though, which in one way makes it funnier....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I wouldn't know - I don't know anyone who fits that discription. Unless you disagree with my statement and belive Ireland to be a wonderfully tolerant and open-minded place?

Its tolerant enough for the 4 million people who live here.
    You cant hack the country personally so you moved to berlin to paint murals..maybe its you that has the problem?

Its tolerant enough for the 4 million people who live here.
    You cant hack the country personally so you moved to berlin to paint murals..maybe its you that has the problem?

Exaclty. To paint. Well acknowledged.

Anyway, Ireland is not a very tolerant place when it comes to alternative and different lifestyles, which can be seen by a lot of the posts in this thread. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view - I never said it was either - I just said I hated it and left for a more open-minded place.

Exaclty. To paint. Well acknowledged.

Anyway, Ireland is not a very tolerant place when it comes to alternative and different lifestyles, which can be seen by a lot of the posts in this thread. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view - I never said it was either - I just said I hated it and left for a more open-minded place.

never mind "alternative lifestyles",you sound like some sort of missfit.
    I believe Paul Gadd moved to vietnam or wherever to pursue his "alternative" lifestyle,no doubt pissed off with the UK's missunderstanding of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

at least the drunk **** spend money and contribute to the economy
    In 2003 alone, the direct healthcare cost of alcohol disorders in Ireland was €279 million. However the overall cost to the State, due to issues such as work absenteeism and poor work performance, was €2.65 billion.
    Hippies don't clog up A&E every weekend. Not sure about the work part though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

galwayrush wrote: »
    I got long hair, like good rock music but i ain't a hippy.;)

get a hair cut you hippy:P

Magnus wrote: »
    Hippies don't clog up A&E every weekend:P

They would if it was free!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

never mind "alternative lifestyles",you sound like some sort of missfit.
    I believe Paul Gadd moved to vietnam or wherever to pursue his "alternative" lifestyle,no doubt pissed off with the UK's missunderstanding of him.

Cut this crap out right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

You are in a rotten mood today Javaboy. Are you taking your vitamins? What about having a nice brisk walk to get some fresh air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Most people don't know what a hippie is anyway therefore most of this thread is nonsense.

Advertisement