Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 09 Undisputed - is it just me or is a button masher?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I've rented UFC 09 and was seriously looking forward to it but felt disappointed. Obviously, its a somewhat complex fighting system which I haven't learned altogether so that might be why but I just feel there is a lot of luck involved. Like getting out of a muay thai clinch, you have to guess what direction the other guy is going to and do the opposite action and because the timing system is a bitch, you'd have to execute the evade before you even see the move. So just feel there is a lot of luck unless some of you can explain to me how it isn't because it would be a real shame if a UFC game turned out to be a button masher, luck based game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Haven't played it myself but a couple of mates who are really into their technical fighting games love it (even to the point of ditching SF4 altogether), so I wouldn't have thought it was a button masher.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

I think it depends on how you play it. You can just hit the striking buttons and turn it into a button masher but if you’re technical about it you can take the person down and use Jiu-Jitsu to advance your position. And if you lock in a submission circling with the right stick works better than button mashing.

If your caught in the clinch you can grapple out of it. If they are gonna throw a knee push right stick down and you will take them down. Or if they are gonna throw a punch move stick up and you will win the clinch, I think after a few games its easier to know what will be thrown. Also it depends on the fighter. Muay Thai guys will probably throw knees, Boxers punches. Etc.

I think it is the most technical fighting game that’s been around. But there is an element of button mashing involved I think because they wanted the game to appeal to people who are not fans of UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

No, don't get me wrong, its brilliantly technical with the ground fighting. Its a great game. I guess I just have to get used to the controls :)

Yeah it can take a while to get use to. But once you do you can decide where you want to play. Either stand and bang or take it to the ground

I've heard bad things about online. Lag problems and people quitting if they loose so you dont get the W.

Overall i think its a good game it could be a bit better but ive waited for so long for a UFC game to come out id probably be happy with anything:D

Well, I've gotten into the clinch side of things. I'm big into Muay Thai so the fighter I've created for career is Muay Thai and Judo (should've gone BJJ though :() but I've made most of his strength in his punches and mostly in kicks so ground fighting points are low.

Can someone explain to me how to get the transitions going though because I press Quarter-Circle forward and sometimes my fighter just flinges and sometimes it works but I can hardly get any of the major transitions which are Half-Circle forward/back right? I know my fighter isn't a strong ground fighter but I can't even do it with the regular fighters like Anderson Silva or whoever.

• Advertisement

Right, 2nd time I'm going up against Wanderlei Silva for the Light Heavyweight. Can anyone help me on how to get out of Muay Thai clinches though?

i think depending on your striking level (1,2,3) if you press the right stick down as he throws the knee you will get a take down on him.

it can be a bit hit and miss mind you. Try it in training or an exhibition before you risk your title shot learning the move.

I hate the clinch also its very hard to get out of and you can loose 75% of your energy if your caught in it for a while.

Best advice is don’t get caught in the clinch. Hit and move !

Striking level? Where can I find that? I have like 60 points for striking if thats what you mean.

Advertisement