Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse ideas for 13yo daughter?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

My daughter is mad about horses, and intends to spend her life working with them. She's had few lessons and attended Pony Camps.

Because of lack of funds, I'm thinking of ideas where she can spend the Summer with horses without it costing me a fortune!

Any ideas welcome

Thanks T*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Loads of people have more than one horse and could do with help riding them out. If I could find a reliable 13 year old I'd have them like a shot for the summer.

But I'm not in Kildare.

Have a look for the loan/share section in the equestrian forum and put up signs in your local tack shop saying she is available to ride/help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I really don't know much about horses but my girlfriend is a show-jumper and has ridden for Ireland a few times, she has said to me before that a good few kids get into the sport by taking a few lessons from a stable and then practically living there.

Basically go to a stable that seems friendly enough for kids, they are usually easy to spot, kids all over the yard mucking out stables etc etc, get maybe 3 or 4 lessons and hope that she gets on with the kids there..

Apart from that I cant think of anything else unless you want to pay big-time.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Thankyou, I'll give it a go on Equestrian :)

T*

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

Not too sure if its a bit out of your way (Summerhill, Co Meath - only 10 mins drive from Kilcock though!) but would highly recommend Moy Riding centre for your daughter. Very friendly, great atmosphere and a real emphasis on getting kids involved and really learning lots about the upkeep of horses as well as riding them, great fun atmosphere. They have a great website if u do a search :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

*mono* wrote: »
    I really don't know much about horses but my girlfriend is a show-jumper and has ridden for Ireland a few times, she has said to me before that a good few kids get into the sport by taking a few lessons from a stable and then practically living there.

Basically go to a stable that seems friendly enough for kids, they are usually easy to spot, kids all over the yard mucking out stables etc etc, get maybe 3 or 4 lessons and hope that she gets on with the kids there..
    This advise is right on the money.
    Try it out first, rather than making a big investment.
    Kids will be kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Hey, Ive taken up riding after a bit of a break and can recommend Dunbyrne Stables in Kilmeague. They are great there and a lesson is €25, or €125 for a group of six lessons.

Where are these people who would love riders for free??!!!

Advertisement