Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse ideas for 13yo daughter?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Morning,

My daughter is mad about horses, and intends to spend her life working with them. She's had few lessons and attended Pony Camps.

Because of lack of funds, I'm thinking of ideas where she can spend the Summer with horses without it costing me a fortune!

Any ideas welcome

Thanks T*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I myself, was in a similar situation, being 14. I now volunteer in a stables in which the owner is blind. Not only do I look after them, I also get to ride the horses and its a great experiance. I've made a good few friends through it too.

I would find a local stables or the place she goes for lessons and ask the if they can let her stay for the day a couple of times over the summer to help out.

Hope that helps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Just go to a show some weekend and talk to some of the riders in the big classes and they might have something for her.
    Here is a list of upcoming national shows.

http://www.sji.ie/Horses/NationalGrandPrix/tabid/91/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I doubt many would trust an unknown 13 year old child unsupervised, and I doubt they would have the time or inclination to supervise her themselves.

Your best bet is to try a riding school or join PC (which you do not need to own an animal for)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 storm03

when i was about your daughters age i looked into sharing a pony with two or three other people.This was about 4years ago now but the price was about €30 per week towards feed etc.I decided not to go with it though but it could be an option.
    If the riding school she goes to know her then they might not have a problem allowing her to stay after lessons to help out.I know alot of people in the riding school i went to did that and they really apprecitated the help!
    just be persistent and give her name to anyone who has a horse/horses.any experience even if its just grooming and mucking out will stand to her in a few years!!
    good luck....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Get her into a riding school for the summer and offer her labour in exchange for lessons. Make sure she works very hard and experiences the industry in its true colours its very romantic when you don't know it well. I speak from experience I was your daughter.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement