Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I re-classify my car as a Hackney for cheap road tax?

• 29-05-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

I have a 11 year old Lexus GS300 (perfect condition and 100% reliable) with a 3 litre engine and the road tax is a killer at €365 per quarter,

Similar to this:
    2001_gs300_1.jpg

Then last night on the walk home from the pub, I seen a 01 Merc S500 and being curious to see if it was the 500 engine I looked at the tax disc where it said HACKNEY €78. :eek: €78 / year road tax! - (No hackney plates on the exterior of the car)

Could I re-tax my car as a Hackney? I know the cars book value is only about €3-4k at the moment so I dont really care if re-classifying it as a Hackney will affect its re-sale value as I plan to drive it into the ground.

What are the requirements/pitfalls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

The only way to do that is to go tru the proper channels, i looked into that before, You need your licence and plate, and you also need the radio fitted when goin for the nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Have you any idea how much it costs to insure a hackney? My guess would be thousands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The driver must hold a PSV licence, for which you'll need to get a tax clearance cert from the Revenue, and then apply to do a PSV licence test (€250). AFAIK you have to renew every year in similar manner, ie tax cert and pay €250. The car has to also show the licence number and must be do the NCT every year.

You're not required to have a radio or meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

you dont need a radio to have the car classified as a hackney. but it does need to pass the psv nct test. and you do need to hold a psv licence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you allowed to use a hackney as a private car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Limo licence, same tax,same process no plates or radios, Small sticker on windows i think.

You need to get a PSV licence yourself. These days it will not be easy.
    Then u have higher insurance, yearly NCT, Yearly licence renewal of 100 for you and 100 for the car i think(there abouts any way). You have to produce a tax clearance cert every year. I think they are going to make it so you cant use a PSV car as a private vehicle soon. You can save a bit alright but for what will work out as saving 20 euros a week is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

JHMEG wrote: »
    The driver must hold a PSV licence, for which you'll need to get a tax clearance cert from the Revenue, and then apply to do a PSV licence test (€250). AFAIK you have to renew every year in similar manner, ie tax cert and pay €250. The car has to also show the licence number and must be do the NCT every year.

You're not required to have a radio or meter.

A driver could be using a hackney for private purpose and not be picking up customers, then that driver does not need to have a psv license or psv insurance to drive the hackney as a personal private use vehicle. Only when the vehicle is actually working as a hackney picking up passengers does the driver need hackney insurance and a psv license. It is said Mr M Oleary of Ryanair has licensed a car as a taxi for his own private use so he can use the bus lanes

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Limo licence, same tax,same process no plates or radios, Small sticker on windows i think.

You need to get a PSV licence yourself. These days it will not be easy.
    Then u have higher insurance, yearly NCT, Yearly licence renewal of 100 for you and 100 for the car i think(there abouts any way). You have to produce a tax clearance cert every year. I think they are going to make it so you cant use a PSV car as a private vehicle soon. You can save a bit alright but for what will work out as saving 20 euros a week is it worth it?

20 yo yo and the ability to use bus lanes :p

c4cat wrote: »
    It is said Mr M Oleary of Ryanair has licensed a car as a taxi for his own private use so he can use the bus lanes
    He does, but his driver drives it for him. So I assume it's his driver that has the PSV licence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

c4cat wrote: »
    A driver could be using a hackney for private purpose and not be picking up customers, then that driver does not need to have a psv license or psv insurance to drive the hackney as a personal private use vehicle. Only when the vehicle is actually working as a hackney picking up passengers does the driver need hackney insurance and a psv license. It is said Mr M Oleary of Ryanair has licensed a car as a taxi for his own private use so he can use the bus lanes

You cant just ring up your insurance Co. on a saturday night and tell them you want hackney insurance for the weekend and then go back to private use on the monday.

either your in or your not, you cant go half way so in order for this to work, you need the following :

PSV licence
    Tax clearance cert
    Hackney insurance (which may be around the 1200-1500 mark)
    then you PSV NCT the car.
    now your registered as a hackney.

you then tax the car for the year €82.00 iirc
    and then the following year you do all teh NCT malarky again.

but bear in mind, you now have to register yourself with the tax man and declare income, and tax returns, doesnt matter if your working it or not, you still have to complete a return every October or so.
    20 yo yo and the ability to use bus lanes :p

not in a hackney, you cant :)

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »

Really....oh dear......:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if it was that easy, we'd all be doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    if it was that easy, we'd all be doing it
    Exactly. If people would apply that one simple test before posting it would be enough to get rid of 99.99% of all the "I've got a cunning plan to outwit those thieving Revenue ba$tards" threads on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

You cant just ring up your insurance Co. on a saturday night and tell them you want hackney insurance for the weekend and then go back to private use on the monday.

either your in or your not, you cant go half way so in order for this to work, you need the following :

PSV licence
    Tax clearance cert

but bear in mind, you now have to register yourself with the tax man and declare income, and tax returns, doesnt matter if your working it or not, you still have to complete a return every October or so.

also a taxi can only use a bus lane if it has a fare on board

dutchcat wrote: »

Or if on the way to picking up a fare. Which, for obvious reasons, is all the time that they are not carrying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Me brothers wife has a A-team looking VW van that she uses for the kids and students she has. It was a hackney before she bought it and is still down as one so she only paid 60-70 yo-yo's for the tax. Was bustiing meself laughing when I checked the tax on it to see how much it was.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Me brothers wife has a A-team looking VW van that she uses for the kids and students she has. It was a hackney before she bought it and is still down as one so she only paid 60-70 yo-yo's for the tax. Was bustiing meself laughing when I checked the tax on it to see how much it was.

When renewing she must have ticked the appropriate box on the form to be taxed as a PSV. If the VRF states hackney / taxi and you go to tax it and tick Private as the tax class they take the VRF off you and send out a replacement in a few days with the correct use on it. Your sister in law would be in serious dog do if stopped by a Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 colm reilly

dutchcat wrote: »
    wrong ...... can use the bus late traveling to collect a job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

PSV licence
    Tax clearance cert

How much is a PSV NCT?

I believe hackney insurance is compulsory, you won't get the license unless you can show it's insured that way.

How much is a tax clearance cert?

Actually, could someone who knows the figures for the lot tot it all up there?

Is the PSV license difficult?

Personally, it's something I'll consider when buying the next car. Stuff like this is hassle if you think that way, but I'd do most things to save money. My own time is free, so those things wouldn't be a huge problem.

I wouldn't mind working the car too....weddings etc. Handy money.

Advertisement