Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making marmalade

Options
  • 29-05-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, I decided to take advantage of the cheap oranges in Aldi (49 cent for 4) and make some marmalade it was my first attempt to do so. I found a recipe online I used one lemon and 5 oranges 2kg of jam making sugar and 32 fluid ounces of water, I am fairly sure I converted everything correctly as I was using an American recipe, however my marmalade is a little runny but tastes gorgeous. I am going to make some more before the offer on oranges finishes on Sunday has anybody got any tips on getting it to set a little better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not an expert by any means, but AFAIK jam not setting is usually a sign of not enough pectin. Seville oranges which are the orange of choice for making marmalade have more natural pectin than normal oranges, but I think you can buy pectin to add to jam/marmalade recipes that use fruit not rich in the natural sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

Thanks Keith, have a local Tesco will try there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

Thanks Alun have a local Tesco will try to source it there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

or maybe it needs to boil a little longer.

Advertisement