Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband advice needed

Options
  • 29-05-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be moving house soon and just wanted to ask about UPC Broadband and if it's as flakey and their customer support as bad as it's mentioned in other posts.

I currently have a 3MB DSL connection with BT but the house I'm moving to is in a cabled UPC area in Waterford and has no phone line.

So, the options are:
    1. get a phone line in and reconnect with BT on 3MB (or 7.6 if it ever becomes available) which works out at 46e per month inc. line rental
    2. get 20MB UPC broadband only (already have Sky) for 48e per month

UPC would seem a better option but then there's the good stuff to consider such as contention ratios, service reliability, customer support and network traffic altering (which I think UPC do but BT don't). I would be using the web for general browsing and P2P, not so much for gaming.

I'd like to hear UPC customer's opinions please particularly if you're based around Waterford if you think going to UPC is a good idea or would it be better to stick with DSL.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Gor for UPC (purely to save the hassle of not waiting to get a phone line installed).

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Not in Waterford but have used UPC 3MB regularly, find it very good, always have good speeds. Its gone down about 3 times in the past year, but always backup within a few hours.
    As regards their customer support its crap, prob the worst I've had the misfortune to come accross. When you do eventually speak to someone then you're not too bad but to actually get a reply can be difficult.

But weighing things up I'd still stick with UPC.
    The all in package of phone, tv and internet is pretty good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Had their 20MB connection in Cork for 2 years now and am very happy with it.

Their customer service is terrible however. It takes so long to get through, I've given up calling them. Luckily, I haven't had to call them as I've had no real problems with the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

That's good to hear, thanks for the info. I might just go ahead and order with them so. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement