Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logbook and Taxing

• 29-05-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

First time driver so all this is new to me. I bought a 02 Yaris recently and managed to get it insured. The garage who sold it to me assured me that the change of ownership logbook would be in the post over the next few days. Over two weeks ago. Can't get the garage on the phone and whenever they do pick up they just say 'yeah that should be with you over the next few days' - is this a normal amount of time to wait? the car had no tax disc when bought so I cant get a pin number to tax it - I need the log book. Any other way around this to tax the car before it rusts in my driveway?

Thanks, :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Hi

Ring the department of transport in shannon - 061 3650000

They can tell you if they received the application for change of ownership and if there a reason for the delay...if they havent received it then the garage is telling you porky pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sparky2009

Things have gotten a bit more complicated now. Garage are saying they sent it and Dept. of transport are saying they havent received it. Garage no longer taking my calls as they have 'done their part' - am caught in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Sparky2009 wrote: »
    Things have gotten a bit more complicated now. Garage are saying they sent it and Dept. of transport are saying they havent received it. Garage no longer taking my calls as they have 'done their part' - am caught in limbo.

Ring the garage tell them "That you done you part" with the money and if they cannot sort this out yesterday would they care to return your money and take back the car, with car sales like they are the garage owner will drive to Shannon personally and sort it for you :D:pac::pac::pac:;)

You'd think so wouldn't you? I would seriously doubt if this guy is going to give me anything back - plus I've just insured it for over a grand. I like the car but I just want to get it registered in my name and taxed. He's saying he sent it and that's it. A request to re-send it was met with a vague 'yeah I will' but at this stage there's bad blood and no co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Sparky2009 wrote: »
    You'd think so wouldn't you? I would seriously doubt if this guy is going to give me anything back - plus I've just insured it for over a grand. I like the car but I just want to get it registered in my name and taxed. He's saying he sent it and that's it. A request to re-send it was met with a vague 'yeah I will' but at this stage there's bad blood and no co-operation.

In that case it is simply a case of calling into your local Garda station and explain the situation to them they will advise you on what to do and may be able to give you something so you can tax it without having to deal with the garage! You now know where not to buy your next car from ;)

• Advertisement

That may be my next step. Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Once you have a log book, you can walk into a motor tax office and pay for your tax there and then. They will print out the dics for you straight away. That will cut down on the waiting time.

Advertisement