Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Cable into DSL slot?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

My old Belkin Wireless G Plus Router is acting the maggot so a friend gave me a new Zyxel P-660HW-D Series, 802.11g Wireless ADSL 2+ 4-Port Gateway to use instead.

I though it'd be relatively simple to use but I've immediately come up aith a problem regarding the cabling used to connect it to the modem my ISP (Chorus) have provided me with.

Previously I ran an Ethernet cable from the Chorus modem into the wireless Belkin modem. With this new modem though there's no ethernet input, just a DSL one and four ethernet outputs.

Is it possible to run a cable from the ethernet output of my chorus box to the DSL input of the new Zyxel wirelss modem or am I just talking crazy talk? Maybe these things are compatible at all? I dunno, I just want to take advantage of my new free modem and get rid of the old dodgy one.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

fattestman wrote: »
    My old Belkin Wireless G Plus Router is acting the maggot so a friend gave me a new Zyxel P-660HW-D Series, 802.11g Wireless ADSL 2+ 4-Port Gateway to use instead.

I though it'd be relatively simple to use but I've immediately come up aith a problem regarding the cabling used to connect it to the modem my ISP (Chorus) have provided me with.

Previously I ran an Ethernet cable from the Chorus modem into the wireless Belkin modem. With this new modem though there's no ethernet input, just a DSL one and four ethernet outputs.

Is it possible to run a cable from the ethernet output of my chorus box to the DSL input of the new Zyxel wirelss modem or am I just talking crazy talk? Maybe these things are compatible at all? I dunno, I just want to take advantage of my new free modem and get rid of the old dodgy one.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    No you can't, the Zyxel is a DSL router (for Broadband through a telephone line), your Belkin is a Cable Router, the type of Broadband that Chorus provides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Aaaahhhhh! That makes sense. Obviously I knew that...obviously.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Advertisement