Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tricks for limiting your snacking? i.e. not scoffing the lot in one go

Options
  • 29-05-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

These days it is FAR cheaper to buy treats in bulk than say in the 80's. In tesco at the moment you can get 5 packs of cadbury bars for half price, which is about €1.20 for 5 bars. Now they are a little smaller at 45g or so but it is still a huge saving as you will pay ~€1 for a bar in a newsagent.

Problem is once the pack is open I scoff the lot in no time. Same with tins of heros etc.

An idea I had was to freeze the bars so you would have to conciously plan ahead, maybe leave out just one to defrost so you could not raid the press in an instant. Mars bars & snickers freeze rock solid, I expect many others would too.

I have the same problem with peanuts, I have seen dispensers on ebay, like ones in pubs, but that seems a bit OT.

Does anybody have any other tips for portion control like my freezing idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I know exactly what you mean, its so hard to not scoff all the bars when you open the multipack.

I wonder if there's a human version of this.... :D

http://www.gearfuse.com/timed-pet-food-dispenser-never-overfeed-your-friend-again/

Maybe an option would be to get a lockable treat press/box, and after each one, put the key away somewhere, preferably at the other side of the house, garden shed or car. Then, you'd have to go to the hassle of retrieving the key everytime you wanted another bar, rather than just grabbing another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

rubadub wrote: »
    you will pay ~€1 for a bar in a newsagent.

The only thing I buy in bulk is toilet roll, if I want a treat I would spend the €1 for a bar and savor it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Ah don't get me started on my scoffing demons :pac:

One suggestion might be to brush your teeth after you've had a little... You ever try eating chocolate or biscuits with freshly brushed teeth? It’s mank!

Personally I just don't keep any rubbish food in my place, it's the only thing that works for me. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Funnily enough, I have no problems not scoffing multi-packs, but they're about the only thing I can stop after one with. Frankly, I've never mastered the art of willpower. Sometimes I'll put them out of sight, working of the principle of out of sight, out of mind. It works some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cjdun1

briiliant idea OP re freezing your sweeties - I must try that - I also have jelly in the fridge all the time now and when I want something really nice, I stuff myself stupid with jelly (the sugar free kind) with meringue nests

• Advertisement
Advertisement