Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journey Time - Dublin City to Kerry

• 29-05-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Kerry this evening. Specifically Killarney.

I plan on leaving the city at 4:30. Any idea what time I might make it there?

I looked at AA Route planner at is said 4hr 30mins. But it doesn't take into account things like weather, traffic, bank holiday etc

I'd like to stop to get dinner too. So would it be better if I stop for dinner as soon as I can so that the traffic might ease off.. or is that wishful thinking? Or could I make it to Killarney in time for dinner at a restaurant?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will take a while to get as far as the Red Cow. Traffice should ease off gradually from there on but many of the smaller towns will still be time consuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭mountain

from red cow to jack lynch tunnel will be about 2.30 hours, unless abbyleix is very busy, from jack lynch to killarney is about 1.10 hours, so 3.40 all up,
    maybe allow 4 if you stop for petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I wouldn't go via Cork , but maybe with the new road now that's changed ( I may try that way now )

I do Celbridge - > Killarney in 3.5 ( Via limerick ) without trying about once a month .

However on a bank holiday friday ..... add 1.5 hrs to that

( 30 Mins Mountrath , 10 mins Adare, 10 mins Newcastle West , 20 mins Castleisland , and the rest just because of traffic volumes. )

Enjoy Killarney !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hi OP

Im originally from Listowel in Kerry which is very similar distance to Killarney from Dublin. Id say the journey will take about 4 hours maybe less, if traffic is reasonable.Good weather helps big time & its looking good so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Might be worth looking at travelling via Mitchelstown, Mallow, Rathmore, Killarney. That way, you're maximising your time on the motorway, but the rest of it is not a nice road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

About 4-5 hours going by limerick depending on traffic/road works etc..best of luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

I go to listowel approx every 2 weeks, on a friday evening to get from the red cow (5pm) to listowel (9pm) approx 4 hrs, mind you it took me 5.5 hrs last year on a bank hol weekend. Watch the small town's before Roscrea i think i go snapped goin tru one of them the limit was 50kph i was doin around 60, white transit sitting on left side of rd just after the petrol station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Thanks very much guys.

I'm going to try leave a bit earlier then because it sounds like it could take me up to 5 hours :eek: I can see why that autobahn is a handy road to have.

I think I'll take the route to Mountrath past Limerick. I'm in Cellbridge now but I have to drive into the city to collect someone then head back out again :(

Killarney better be worth it :p

Advertisement