Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nessa Childers on LMFM, afraid of Declan Ganley

Options
  • 29-05-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Thomas Sharkey, Sinn Fein Nessa Childers Labour and Raymond O Malley Libertas the european canidates were due to speak on LMFM this morning about there party issues etc in the upcoming european elections. Normal run of the mill stuff that switches 90% of listerners over to another music station would you not agree!

Oh but how it got interesting, Raymond O Malleys mother passed away today (RIP) so raymond was to distraught to be there. Declan Ganley of Libertas offered to step in for Raymond. Thomas Sharkey was fine with that. Guess what! Nessa Childers would not apear with him on the show. She felt Declan Ganley had no business talking about european politcs for meath east!

OMG!!!!

Is this Nessa Childers from Tallaght! Is this nessa childers who left the greens! more importantly, is nessa childers trying to convince us that Declan Ganley has no business discussing Irish Politics and yet she has the job of setting off and convincing a German or Italian that little old meath matters.

Nessa would have been better accepting the chellange! She allowed herself to be shown as incapable of defending herself but more importantly she allowed 2 no to lisbon campagners apear on a show together because of her own fears! How stupid of labour!

But then lets face it! Labour are popular not because they have buring policies. Labour are popular becuase they allow others like Fianna Fail and Fianna gael step up and do all the argueing and then when its all over step in with there own policies.

Nessa you truly dropped the ball there, Mike Reed of LMFM said it to her before the show started and she still went ahead!

Good women nessa!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Condolences to him on his loss. Just as well I missed that scintillating lineup. Having heard all the major players this week, none of them would have inspired me to tune in. Childers' point is a fair one and principled IMO. He is not a candidate in this constituency. On that basis Cowan and Kenny could've shown up for FF and FG. It doesn't really matter where she's from, she is a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

is_that_so wrote: »
    Condolences to him on his loss. Just as well I missed that scintillating lineup. Having heard all the major players this week, none of them would have inspired me to tune in. Childers' point is a fair one. He is not a candidate in this constituency. On that basis Cowan and Kenny could've shown up for FF and FG. It doesn't really matter where she's from, she is a candidate.

Good lad I expected that reply. Its funny then how nessa in her double standard way had mr derossa stand in for her in brussels last week cause she could not be there, once again Mike reed pointed this out and she did not back down. Mike reed clearly said Nessa are you not worried how people will judge you considering you asked derossa stand in last week for you in a simular meath east debate in brussels. She could not answer it. Her reply was, My advisors have advised me not to get into a debate with Declan Ganley. Mike reed asked why! Nessa replied because he is not meath east! Mike reed replied, neither was mr derossa last week! No reply other than, thats the party line!

But like I said. If Nessa Childers cannot represent herself against 2 irish canidates and allows the No campagn to dominate 2 hours of LMFM the largest radio in the northeast. Then maybe labour should have run mr derossa in meath east instead!

Keep up the good work mike reed!

Good girl nessa you done us proud....Not!

Good lad I expected that reply. Its funny then how nessa in her double standard way had mr derossa stand in for her in brussels last week cause she could not be there, once again Mike reed pointed this out and she did not back down. Mike reed clearly said Nessa are you not worried how people will judge you considering you asked derossa stand in last week for you in a simular meath east debate in brussels. She could not answer it. Her reply was, My advisors have advised me not to get into a debate with Declan Ganley. Mike reed asked why! Nessa replied because he is not meath east! Mike reed replied, neither was mr derossa last week! No reply other than, thats the party line!

But like I said. If Nessa Childers cannot represent herself against 2 irish canidates and allows the No campagn to dominate 2 hours of LMFM the largest radio in the northeast. Then maybe labour should have run mr derossa in meath east instead!

Keep up the good work mike reed!

Good girl nessa you done us proud....Not!

This issue appears to have been with Ganley from what you've claimed and not two candidates. The East constituency stretches from the border to Wexford. As Avril Doyle demonstrated the last time out you don't need to set a foot in the northeast to pick up a seat. I see no big deal here at all and a bit of headline manufacturing. Snubbing LMFM and Mr Ganley might even show some class. :p

This issue appears to have been with Ganley from what you've claimed and not two candidates. The East constituency stretches from the border to Wexford. As Avril Doyle demonstrated the last time out you don't need to set a foot in the northeast to pick up a seat. I see no big deal here at all. Snubbing LMFM and Mr Ganley might even show some class. :p

See once again you fail to professionally approch my post. Its typical of a labour move and of course a labout supporter.

Nessa childers has double standards. She thinks its ok for derossa to stand in for her but its unacceptable for ganley to stand in for o malley

For Nessa Childers to allow a No campagn dominate LMFM shows 2 things

1. She is clearly afraid of the No campagn and it begs what has she got to be afraid of. Oh wait the possibility they are right!

2. She has not got the logic to see that Declan ganley would not be up to speed on meath east as she would so could constantly bring the subject back. Further more politicsw shows that where 2 men gang up on a women the women gains the vote of sympathy. Something I have for her after this mornings daft appearence!

But you believe that Nessa Childers was right. I will leave it to the north east to see what they think and if they agree that all labour see to do is leave others with the REAL debate and than add there few cents at the end.

A total worthless contrabution and would have been ignored by most only for the big deal made by Nessa.

Good Girl nessa keep up the work!

See once again you fail to professionally approch my post. Its typical of a labour move and of course a labout supporter.

Nessa childers has double standards. She thinks its ok for derossa to stand in for her but its unacceptable for ganley to stand in for o malley

For Nessa Childers to allow a No campagn dominate LMFM shows 2 things

1. She is clearly afraid of the No campagn and it begs what has she got to be afraid of. Oh wait the possibility they are right!

2. She has not got the logic to see that Declan ganley would not be up to speed on meath east as she would so could constantly bring the subject back. Further more politicsw shows that where 2 men gang up on a women the women gains the vote of sympathy. Something I have for her after this mornings daft appearence!

But you believe that Nessa Childers was right. I will leave it to the north east to see what they think and if they agree that all labour see to do is leave others with the REAL debate and than add there few cents at the end.

A total worthless contrabution and would have been ignored by most only for the big deal made by Nessa.

Good Girl nessa keep up the work!

Firstly let me help you. It's not Meath East, that's a GE constituency, it's East.

A lot of assumptions in here as well. I offered an opinion on what a candidate did. I see no big deal in her not wanting to spend time with Declan Ganley. How does that automatically make me a supporter?
    Will people remember or care next Friday that a candidate refused to go on radio with someone else?

A further feature of the Euro elections is that it doesn't matter whether Ganley is up on "local issues" or not. Ganley will do as he always does which is trot out his message.

Oddly enough you may have even provided the answer yourself in amongst all that drama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Hmmm. On face value it seems strange that this has happened, considering that politicians have pairing arrangements etc, and even from a professional courtesy point of view. However...

... something similar happened last week in the west with a farmers meeting, and Declan Ganley had pencilled in Raymond O'Malley as his sub. I wonder do the other parties think that they are swopping candidates in a horses for courses type way?

I think she should have debated. I wouldn't have heard it anyway, but on her name alone I had considered giving her my number one in a fairly uninspiring field.

Time to fall back on good old fashioned research, eh?

Firstly let me help you. It's not Meath East, that's a GE constituency, it's East.

A lot of assumptions in here as well. I offered an opinion on what a candidate did. I don't recall saying she is right. I see no big deal in her not wanting to spend time with Declan Ganley. How does that automatically make me a supporter?
    Will people remember or care next Friday that a candidate refused to go on radio with someone else?

A further feature of the Euro elections is that it doesn't matter whether Ganley is up on "local issues" or not. Ganley will do as he always does which is trot out his message.

Oddly enough you may have even provided the answer yourself in amongst all that drama.

Meath East is the Broadcast area and you must have realised that when you pointed out " you don't need to set a foot in the northeast to pick up a seat"

No assumptions only fact as presented by Mike Reed!

If you see no big deal in her not wanting to debate to the No campagn then why did she agree to apear on the station in the first place! She hardly expected a free run for the yes campagn! Like that she offered to the No campagn!

People remember a awful lot and mike reed has still to rehash the show tuesday morning! so listeners will be reminded!

Lastly as mike reed is only concerened with the North east canidates are generally discussing the north east issues. Something declan ganley(Libertas) and thomas sharkey (Sinn Fein) did in discussing farming issues!

But if Nessa Childers failed to come on the show she would have made no impact instead it became obvious that nobody was there to here what she said as mike reed pointed out how could she expect an answer to her questions when she failed to allow the no campagn on...

Like I said Good girl nessa....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 krayZpaving

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, Joey.

Nessa Childers explained on air (and it was explained to the producers beforehand) that she has had a policy since the start of the campaign that she only debates with other candidates. She has refused interviews with others on this basis. If she changed that now, the other station would have a legitimate grievance. It's not an unreasonable policy, I'm sure you'll agree, and it allows for coverage to be balanced.

As for the other factual errors: she has never lived, and has no intention of ever living, in Tallaght (or Foxrock for that matter); she did not proffer de Rossa as an alternative for an interview, and the interview in which de Rossa appeared on LMFM did not take place last week but rather several months ago; she is not running in Meath East (there is no consitutency called Meath East in this election); &c, &c. You also seem to be strangely mistaken in believing that this is a vote on the Lisbon Treaty. It's not.

Your rant is typical of the desperate lashing out that Fine Gael supporters, from branch members to the Party "Leader" Enda Kenny, have been engaging in for the past week. Vicious personalised attacks aren't going to save your seat in Ireland East - it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

IIMII wrote: »
    Hmmm. On face value it seems strange that this has happened, considering that politicians have pairing arrangements etc, and even from a professional courtesy point of view. However...

... something similar happened last week in the west with a farmers meeting, and Declan Ganley had pencilled in Raymond O'Malley as his sub. I wonder do the other parties think that they are swopping candidates in a horses for courses type way?

I think it's pretty evident that they are. When the IFA in the NW needed to be addressed, Libertas wanted O'Malley, even though he's not the candidate - this seems the other way round.

It goes with Libertas' record of strokes and attempted strokes, anyway.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

IIMII wrote: »

I may be engaging in idle gossip here, but I thought the reason O'Malley didn't speak at that meeting was because the farmers didn't want him there, due to grudges over his time in the IFA?

Have you time travelled to October? With your hysterical ranting in this thread, what will you be like when the campaigning for Lisbon II actually starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I may be engaging in idle gossip here, but I thought the reason O'Malley didn't speak at that meeting was because the farmers didn't want him there, due to grudges over his time in the IFA?

It seems to be because he wasn't the candidate in their constituency. Outrageous really.
    Have you time travelled to October? With your hysterical ranting there, what will you be like when the campaining for Lisbon II actually starts?

I am so looking forward to that debate.

not,
    Scofflaw

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, Joey.

Nessa Childers explained on air (and it was explained to the producers beforehand) that she has had a policy since the start of the campaign that she only debates with other candidates. She has refused interviews with others on this basis. If she changed that now, the other station would have a legitimate grievance. It's not an unreasonable policy, I'm sure you'll agree, and it allows for coverage to be balanced.

As for the other factual errors: she has never lived, and has no intention of ever living, in Tallaght (or Foxrock for that matter); she did not proffer de Rossa as an alternative for an interview, and the interview in which de Rossa appeared on LMFM did not take place last week but rather several months ago; she is not running in Meath East (there is no consitutency called Meath East in this election); &c, &c. You also seem to be strangely mistaken in believing that this is a vote on the Lisbon Treaty. It's not.

Your rant is typical of the desperate lashing out that Fine Gael supporters, from branch members to the Party "Leader" Enda Kenny, have been engaging in for the past week. Vicious personalised attacks aren't going to save your seat in Ireland East - it's gone.

No rant! Sorry, It was blackrock actually she was from where as Declan Ganley being from galway you would wonder what she had to fear. Meath East was the area the station covers and as for it being coverage of the lisbon treaty agreed it was not but as she gave 2 no campagners free run at it She gave them the chance and they took it to make it a no to nice!

Oh by the way as also pointed out to me this is not a rant but if you want a rant you should have listened to the local election labour canidate ms bell on the same program. She accepts that Labour have no possibility of getting into office and will ultimately go into power with Fine Gael. Mike Reed put it to her well then why was she fighting against fine gael when she knows she will have to do a deal with them!

See fine gael dont need to attack labour! Labuor do a good job at sitting back and letting the flak come to them as Nessa Childers and Ms Bell showed. Where as call them what ever but Fine Gael have the majority vote in the MRBI pole today so it seems what ever they do they are doing it well.

Perhaps Pat Rabbit, Eamonn Gilmore and Nessa Childers should jump ship AGAIN! and this time try stay off the titanic which of course sank! Very fast!

No rant! Sorry, It was blackrock actually she was from where as Declan Ganley being from galway you would wonder what she had to fear. Meath East was the area the station covers and as for it being coverage of the lisbon treaty agreed it was not but as she gave 2 no campagners free run at it She gave them the chance and they took it to make it a no to nice!

Oh by the way as also pointed out to me this is not a rant but if you want a rant you should have listened to the local election labour canidate ms bell on the same program. She accepts that Labour have no possibility of getting into office and will ultimately go into power with Fine Gael. Mike Reed put it to her well then why was she fighting against fine gael when she knows she will have to do a deal with them!

See fine gael dont need to attack labour! Labuor do a good job at sitting back and letting the flak come to them as Nessa Childers and Ms Bell showed. Where as call them what ever but Fine Gael have the majority vote in the MRBI pole today so it seems what ever they do they are doing it well.

Perhaps Pat Rabbit, Eamonn Gilmore and Nessa Childers should jump ship AGAIN! and this time try stay off the titanic which of course sank! Very fast!

It broadcasts a little further than East Meath. As for Linda Bell she's a council candidate and is using her relationship with the other Bell. She's at the same type of standard as Councillor Sharkey, who is a complete no-hoper in the Euros. While councils can produce possible national candidates most councillors are mediocre at best.

That aside Linda Bell really has very little to do with your conclusions about Ms Childers and tbh it has become more of a ramble at this point.

The suggestion of guilt by association implied here appears to indicate a particular anti-party stance. Incidentally the "dubious" Ms Childers is very much in the mix for a seat although I guess your vote won't be going anywhere near the Labour party.

It broadcasts a little further than East Meath. As for Linda Bell she's a council candidate and is using her relationship with the other Bell. She's at the same type of standard as Councillor Sharkey, who is a complete no-hoper in the Euros. While councils can produce possible national candidates most councillors are mediocre at best.

That aside Linda Bell really has very little to do with your conclusions about Ms Childers and tbh it has become more of a ramble at this point.

The suggestion of guilt by association implied here appears to indicate a particular anti-party stance. Incidentally the "dubious" Ms Childers is very much in the mix for a seat although I guess your vote won't be going anywhere near the Labour party.

I agree at this point it has turned into a rant because there is nobody capable of defending labour and linda bell has a lot to do with my conclusions

Its double standards all the way by Labour! That is Nessa Childers standards that is Linda bells standards. It was pat rabbits standards and it was eamonn gilmores standards so they are well trained!

The only reason Nessa Childers will get a seat is because Fianna Fail wont! No other reason! and def not her ability to defend herself!

lastly if you need to ask me am I voteing nessa childers I wonder if you have actually been reading my posts!

But that being said I think if labour were more vocal and actually kicked up like Fine Gael labour would have of had a far higher rateing in the MRBI poles today! Meaning they wont be seeking a cololation party next week but rather a party will be seeking them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My guess would be that if Ganley was coming in at the last minute it might be a tactic by Libertas to have someone other than who she was expecting so that it would become harder to slam the candidates policies since he wasn't there.

Leaves wide open to attack if she does turn up and someone else appears for Libertas.

I say its fair play not to turn up if that is the case. If Libertas have done this elsewhere, it might be a general tactic they are going for.

thebman wrote: »
    My guess would be that if Ganley was coming in at the last minute it might be a tactic by Libertas to have someone other than who she was expecting so that it would become harder to slam the candidates policies since he wasn't there.

Leaves wide open to attack if she does turn up and someone else appears for Libertas.

I say its fair play not to turn up if that is the case. If Libertas have done this elsewhere, it might be a general tactic they are going for.

Thats a good guess but by impling that in a guess you are suggesting that Raymond o malley killed his mother just to let Declan Ganley take his place and I dont think you mean that!

It was for that reason Raymond O Malley failed to turn up. ie His mother Died!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Thats a good guess but by impling that in a guess you are suggesting that Raymond o malley killed his mother just to let Declan Ganley take his place and I dont think you mean that!

It was for that reason Raymond O Malley failed to turn up. ie His mother Died!

Okay I read the thread earlier and forgot about the reason used to not appear by the Libertas member.

I think Libertas are capable of many things but I'd be a bit surprised if they went to those lengths.

It probably is the reason she didn't want to go on though. I think she inevitably would have come out of it looking bad since it would serve little purpose to attack Ganley's policies as he isn't running the East.

thebman wrote: »
    Okay I read the thread earlier and forgot about the reason used to not appear by the Libertas member.

I think Libertas are capable of many things but I'd be a bit surprised if they went to those lengths.

It probably is the reason she didn't want to go on though. I think she inevitably would have come out of it looking bad since it would serve little purpose to attack Ganley's policies as he isn't running the East.

But again that was the presenters point! Nessa Childers allowed derossa represent her on tax issues in a meath east disscussion only a short while ago!

She could not defend this! She could only say this is the party line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

But again that was the presenters point! Nessa Childers allowed derossa represent her on tax issues in a meath east disscussion only a short while ago!

She could not defend this! She could only say this is the party line!

em... she allowed someone else represent her, but did she attach a warning of "and I hereby condemn anyone who is unwilling to accept DeRossa in my stead, as I would always accept this in any circumstances"

or... Was it just that the other people involved didn't have a problem with it in that situation, unlike the specific situation we're actually discussing here?

• Advertisement

passive wrote: »
    em... she allowed someone else represent her, but did she attach a warning of "and I hereby condemn anyone who is unwilling to accept DeRossa in my stead, as I would always accept this in any circumstances"

or... Was it just that the other people involved didn't have a problem with it in that situation, unlike the specific situation we're actually discussing here?

Your getting a slight bit confusing for me here. When she asked the presenter to allow derossa represent her the presenter said yes. Even though all the other canidates were not in derossa's league. That did not matter because the issues discussed on the radio station were in relation to meath east.

Now yesterday the same thing the exact same thing arose where by Nessa Childers refused to go on with Declan Ganley because he was not from the area like Raymond o malley, nothing to do with Issues!

The presenter pointed out to Nessa that she would be viewed with Double standards and gave her plenty of time to reconsider. She refused.

Advertisement