Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit Card Charged Twice in Bar

• 29-05-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was in a bar last night and paid for drink with cash back. The transaction was rejected the first time I entered my pin (possibly because I dropped the machine when handing it back to the waitress) and I had to enter my pin number a second time.

My bank statement today shows the transaction has gone through twice. Do I contact the bar to ask for it to be cancelled or will the bank cancel it when it shows up as a double charge? Unfortunately I don't have the receipt for the transaction; will that cause me a headache?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Has it actually come upo on the statement twice? As in:

BAR ABC €60.00
    BAR ABC €60.00

or are you just noticing that double the amount you paid is showing as being deducted from your balance? If the first is true, you'll need to contact the bank. If the second is true, then the first payment may have been authorised (basically permission sought by the bar to take from your bank to take €60.00, bank gives permission to retailer and puts a hold on the amount until the transaction comes through), but due to the problem it may not be debited. The hold will still be there for a few days, but will drop off eventually and the funds should be available again. The second transaction will probably come through as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ColmD16

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Has it actually come upo on the statement twice? As in:

BAR ABC €60.00
    BAR ABC €60.00

or are you just noticing that double the amount you paid is showing as being deducted from your balance? If the first is true, you'll need to contact the bank. If the second is true, then the first payment may have been authorised (basically permission sought by the bar to take from your bank to take €60.00, bank gives permission to retailer and puts a hold on the amount until the transaction comes through), but due to the problem it may not be debited. The hold will still be there for a few days, but will drop off eventually and the funds should be available again. The second transaction will probably come through as normal.

Thanks for the reply BuffyBot. It hasn't come up on my statement. I just noticed that double the amount was deducted from my balance. So it looks like you were right and it'll hopefully drop off in the next few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Would you believe the exact same thing happened to me on sunday except the machine ran out of paper and I didn't drop the machine :pac:

I've asked my branch to do a refund (as the bar in question hasn't bothered to call me back yet) as No1 happened in my case. Mind you it's a bit handier for me as I work for the same bank and getting access to the forms is little more than a few mouse clicks. Not concerned about the money not coming back but it's more annoying than anything else.

Advertisement