Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nachos

Options
  • 29-05-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I'd like to prepare a nachos dish akin to the amazing Nachos Supreme in Acapulco on South Great George's Street.

What it seems to be to me is layers of unsalted corn chips, sprinkled with spring onions and topped with a creamy bechamel sauce, then heaped with a mild white cheddar cheese and placed under a grill. Once off the heat, it is topped with salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Perfection.

My only problem is that I cannot find unsalted corn chips anywhere. Tescos do delicious corn chips for 39cents a bag but they are quite salty. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would imagine the best bet would be health food shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

em, not to sound like I'm hoorin' for Taco Taco or anything, but they sell some Mexican foods to bring home as well and I'm pretty sure one of the things they have is unsalted corn chips. That and ginooooooormous tins of refried beans the size of my head

Sorry- just realised I was waffling on about Taco Taco in another thread and this made no sense here. They're in the Epicurean Foodhall in dublin city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm sure I've seen them somewhere. I'd try taco taco alright. Maybe M&S have them? I'm going to be in there later, I'll have a gawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Rubadub I have never seen them in health food shops, although I haven't been in them all, obviously. Can anyone else recall seeing them in a particular health food shop?

And Taco Taco's corn chips are all salted in the dishes they sell, so I'd be very surprised if they had unsalted ones for sale, although I will check, thank you.

Any luck in M&S Olala?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If really stuck you could make some. http://recipes.kaboose.com/homemade-corn-chips.html (omit the salt of course)

I was looking up how to make tortilla wraps yesterday. I have gram flour which is very low GI and thought of making some from it in bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

What do you call cheese that's not yours? Nacho cheese :p

Easiest way to make your own tortilla chips would be to buy a packet of the Old El Paso corn tortilla wraps, cut each one four times, to get eight small triangles, and either bake these in a moderate oven until crispy (you can put something on top of them to stop them curling up if you prefer them flat), or deep-fry, which is more authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

rubadub wrote: »
    If really stuck you could make some. http://recipes.kaboose.com/homemade-corn-chips.html (omit the salt of course)

Assuming that by "unsalted", neuro-praxis means that it doesn't have salt "dusting" on the outside (or any other flavour for that matter), then I wouldn't omit the salt from the recipe.

If by unsalted, though, you mean "no salt used at all", I'd say you could find it tough.

bonkey wrote: »
    Assuming that by "unsalted", neuro-praxis means that it doesn't have salt "dusting" on the outside (or any other flavour for that matter)

Yes that's exactly what I mean - chips with no salt on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've had nachos out where the restaurant used flavoured tortillas.
    Awful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Checked M&S - they only have a 'lightly salted' flavour. No plain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

You can buy a nacho kit from el paso. The nachos are as far as i know round unsalted. then just throw out all the other crap it comes with.

Old_El_Paso_Nachos_Kit_520g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just cut up tortillas and deep-fry them (you don't even need a fryer, just use a wok and a cup or two of oil and work in small batches (and don't leave it unattended and do have a fire blanket...)).
    Cheaper as well as better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Bechamel sauce on nachos? I think I just got a bit sick in my mouth... :eek:

Thanks for that.

Advertisement