Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIME FOR A REVOLUTION

Options
  • 29-05-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Isn’t it time the Irish people took back their country from these liars and gangsters in Dail Eireann. They have consistently failed the Irish people and in my view are enemies of us all. Why are we tolerating this, what has happened to the people we once were? There is an anger today that I have not seen in a very long time on this island, but anger is not enough. What this country needs is a new Political party, a new voice, an honesty and a movement of people that will reclaim our country from these Bas**ards. Our health system is in shambles, our Legal system is an outdated joke, our economy is in tatters, and our educational system is crumbling. We tolerate this while these bas*tards treat us like FOOLS !!!!!!! Its time for a change, I’m as angry as hell and I know I’m not alone in wanting change. Change wont come from FG, Labour or any of the other pretenders . . . we must change it ourselves, demand it, it’s our right !!!!! HOW LONG MORE SHALL WE ACCEPT IT ??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Another 4 billion for Anglo after their announcement this afternoon. Mugs mugs mugs, that's what we all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Isn’t it time the Irish people took back their country from these liars and gangsters in Dail Eireann. They have consistently failed the Irish people and in my view are enemies of us all. Why are we tolerating this, what has happened to the people we once were? There is an anger today that I have not seen in a very long time on this island, but anger is not enough. What this country needs is a new Political party, a new voice, an honesty and a movement of people that will reclaim our country from these Bas**ards. Our health system is in shambles, our Legal system is an outdated joke, our economy is in tatters, and our educational system is crumbling. We tolerate this while these bas*tards treat us like FOOLS !!!!!!! Its time for a change, I’m as angry as hell and I know I’m not alone in wanting change. Change wont come from FG, Labour or any of the other pretenders . . . we must change it ourselves, demand it, it’s our right !!!!! HOW LONG MORE SHALL WE ACCEPT IT ??????

Go ahead, start your own party.

Pity it's only a week to the local elections, if you got angry earlier you could have run for as an independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Revolution=replacing the old boss with the new boss.We could allie ourselves with North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

You can change it. In the next election, in 3 year's time. I'm going to keep referring to this quote from George Bernard Shaw:

"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."

We, collectively and persistently, voted for the status quo. It has fluctuated, but by and large most people want Fianna Fail in power, or at least not any of the alternatives. It might have changed right now, but now is too late and they'll be in power for another 3 years or until the Green Party decides that they don't want to play any more. Then, and don't think that the man on the street will have any say in the matter, any new government will organise itself from the existing parties and independent TDs. It may be Fine Gael and some other parties, it may be Fianna Fail and some other parties, but the common good won't come into it.

Don't think that it'll change the economic situation because it won't - it is now too late. We had our low taxes and tax breaks, our loan and mortage-based employment boom, and now it is finished. Even if you had your revolution, it wouldn't change anything in terms of your taxes or employment. The country costs too much, and has too much to pay back.

People are only unhappy now because the party is over. The corruption and shenanigans have been going on for decades and people didn't seem to pushed before now. Election results don't lie. If anyone has any realistic ideas on how things could be improved, let's hear them. A revolution doesn't solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I am not a fan of Fianna Fail but ---

It is so easy for people to blame the recession on everything but themselves and try to find someone to blame. People were up to their arse in debt from owning a second house, two brand new cars, limos for the kids confirmation 3 holidays a year and all kinds of rediculous expenditure. Others made some rather silly investments and didn't get out before it all started to go wrong. Others demanded and expected to keep up the same lifestyle as everyone else if they were unemployed or had a kid. Now the arse falls out of the economy and nobody wants to pay for their own mistakes.

And yes, Fianna Fail and the bankers f*cked up too, but they aren't the only ones to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

yah revolutions worked out great in other countries thru' out history :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Our health system is in shambles, our Legal system is an outdated joke, our economy is in tatters, and our educational system is crumbling…
    …and our posts are full of hyperbole!

You say you want a revolution, well, you know…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

You say you got a real solution, Well, you know
    We'd all love to see the plan.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Without revolutions we would still be owned by the regional lord. Granted a revolution is 360 degrees back to the same spot, but with different b@%?@#ds.
    There has to be some satisfaction in striking back, I never was one for turning the other cheek. And sure we can do it all again, isn't that the function of revolution, to change the guard and prevent either a divine right of c*@Ts or perpetual slavery setting in? A true patriot fights his own corrupt government and all...

Setting up a simply "get them out" party online would be possible. The party could put forward persons who would refuse to participate in the Dail. Legal contracts in place to ensure this. TD salaries awarded for successful candidates could be directed to further fund the "party" No one once elected could do so again.
    A great number of current politicians form all parties could have their seats wiped out, with a growing movement this would become more worrying for the remainder, so they would have to adjust their policies to take into account the people and not their own funding lobby groups.
    This party could be kept in action, and corrupt officials could be targeted in election campaigns. This would leave some areas without representation for the duration of a Dail, but the threat of - it could be you next - might force those who managed to keep their seat to look after the non-represented area (smartly cutting numbers of politicians.)
    In other words a lobby of dissent, to counter the other powerful lobbies. I think people are jaded because they don't see a choice, wouldn't an empty or "dumb" seat carry more weight than a spoilt vote?
    E.g. We could have those who have lost their homes rent in the constituency of the minister for finance, or housing and wipe them out? Etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭cls

You're about 10 years too late mate. I've been angry for a long time and have long since come to the conclusion that I live in a country full of ignoramouses. And yes, and that includes you and the "lets wait until the country falls apart before we voice our concerns" band wagon you're swinging out of.

• Advertisement

The Government are very, very unpopular right now because of the policies they've implemented. And by that I mean the budget, not the long term planning. By and large, nobody cared up until the wheels came off the economy, and then we all want change.

Nobody particularly wanted change while we were all earning plenty, borrowing more and paying very little in the way of taxes. That is the way here. Wait until it's all come apart and then demand change. No matter who we get in now, the taxes will remain as they are (if not higher) and unemployment will still be at 20% by the end of the year. It can't change because if it does we'll be even worse off.

I'm just so tired of the 'we demand change now, we're getting scr*wed!' rant. People should have demanded change beforehand, because the policies haven't changed in 20 years and we're just seeing the results now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

kevteljeur wrote: »
    People are only unhappy now because the party is over. The corruption and shenanigans have been going on for decades and people didn't seem to pushed before now.
    +1 The electorate is very conservative IMO. When things are going well, they ignore politics. It's only when things go wrong and they start to feel it in their day-to-day lives that they wake up. By then it seems too late so they're left feeling powerless overall to change anything and so the cycle of acceptance continues.
    Election results don't lie.
    I blame the media for the way they cover elections, interviews with politicians etc. It's like it's all a game for most of them. Interviewers should ask politicians tough questions and not let them get away with dodging the question.
    If anyone has any realistic ideas on how things could be improved, let's hear them. A revolution doesn't solve anything.
    I disagree that it's too late to get involved. The longer that attitude continues, the longer they'll continue getting away with being unaccountable.
    I agree with the OP, it's time for people to demand that those who are elected are willing and able to do the job. It's not like we're not paying them a big enough salary!
    It is so easy for people to blame the recession on everything but themselves and try to find someone to blame.
    Why have leadership at all if it's a case of being better off ignoring them and doing all the research ourselves? People have jobs and families and are busy with their lives. The whole reason they elect leaders is to provide leadership! If they are encouraged by the government to spend and borrow, that this is good for the economy etc, it's really not fair to blame them for trusting in leadership is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

dreamlogic wrote: »
    it's really not fair to blame them for trusting in leadership is it!

Yes. Especially when that leadership is FF.

Let's face it, brown envelopes and dodgy money didn't only come out in the last 18 months or so.

Those people who "trusted" put thieves in charge of our money and our future and now are outraged that thieves are stealing our money.

Grow up.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Yes. Especially when that leadership is FF.

Let's face it, brown envelopes and dodgy money didn't only come out in the last 18 months or so.

Those people who "trusted" put thieves in charge of our money and our future and now are outraged that thieves are stealing our money.

Grow up.
    You cannot blame the masses for trusting in what the leadership of the country is telling them. Most people are busy with their lives. This is why they elect a government, to manage the country and guide them in the right direction. Otherwise why have a government? And why have them appearing on tv making speeches and all the rest of it when either they are lying to people, or they are incompetent and don't know what they're talking about in the first place?
    We'd be better off without any government if this is how it has to be!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I am not a fan of Fianna Fail but ---

It is so easy for people to blame the recession on everything but themselves and try to find someone to blame. People were up to their arse in debt from owning a second house, two brand new cars, limos for the kids confirmation 3 holidays a year and all kinds of rediculous expenditure. Others made some rather silly investments and didn't get out before it all started to go wrong. Others demanded and expected to keep up the same lifestyle as everyone else if they were unemployed or had a kid. Now the arse falls out of the economy and nobody wants to pay for their own mistakes.

And yes, Fianna Fail and the bankers f*cked up too, but they aren't the only ones to blame.
    I have to agree with most of your post but FF were in power and have to shoulder most of the blame, they are if you like the managers of all the banks, all the sitting bank managers during the boom are gone and now the people will decide it is time for FF to step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I agree, this government should be ousted. But i don't think there is any other party suitable to run the country. There all the same. there should be laws past for a council to be set up to monitor the government so this crap never happens again.
    Look at Bertie Ahearn. We spent millions on tribunerals and nothing came of them. NO MORE WE WILL WE STAND AND BE MADE A JOKE OF!!! THIS ENDS NOW!
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

yay we need anarchy :eek: :p (just baiting)

mega man wrote: »
    I agree, this government should be ousted. But i don't think there is any other party suitable to run the country. There all the same. there should be laws past for a council to be set up to monitor the government so this crap never happens again.
    Look at Bertie Ahearn. We spent millions on tribunerals and nothing came of them. NO MORE WE WILL WE STAND AND BE MADE A JOKE OF!!! THIS ENDS NOW!
    :mad::mad::mad:

It only ends if the man elected as Taoiseach no longer commands a majority. If the government holds, then you can change it in the next election, in 3 year's time. And then the likelihood of the general public developing a collective, conscious will between now and then is very small.

So, let's say we can vote in whoever we want tomorrow. Will that change any of the taxation policies or the reality of hitting 20% unemployment by the end of the year? It won't, and you'll only see change by the time of the next election. In the meantime, whoever has been in charge will be held responsible for the hardship up until then. And then the opposition get re-elected. That's what happened the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kevteljeur wrote: »

I'm just so tired of the 'we demand change now, we're getting scr*wed!' rant. People should have demanded change beforehand, because the policies haven't changed in 20 years and we're just seeing the results now.

Yeah I wish we were more like America or Britain :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

You cannot blame the masses for trusting in what the leadership of the country is telling them. Most people are busy with their lives. This is why they elect a government, to manage the country and guide them in the right direction. Otherwise why have a government? And why have them appearing on tv making speeches and all the rest of it when either they are lying to people, or they are incompetent and don't know what they're talking about in the first place?
    We'd be better off without any government if this is how it has to be!

Yes you can blame them. The government is there to be supervised by the electorate who let their feeling known through elections. The way democracy is supposed to work in normal countries is the people guide the government and the government guide back. If you don't like the results feck them out at the next election.

What we have here is a corrupt government repeatedly voted back in by a zombie electorate who have suddenly discovered that when you hand over your life to a corrupt elite you end up taking it up the ass.

Apparently it's not such a good idea at all.

Oh, and you can't claim we didn't know FF were incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

So where do you want my Son who has Down Syndrome to go.

An SNA is granted to a Child not because they may have an Intellectual Disability but they may be of danger to themselves or to others.

Considering that I pay for Speech Therapy, OT and Medical Bills out of my own pocket the least that I can expect is a little support in his education.

Or is it back to the good old days of Daingean:rolleyes:

dresden8 wrote:
    The government is there to be supervised by the electorate who let their feeling known through elections. The way democracy is supposed to work in normal countries is the people guide the government and the government guide back. If you don't like the results feck them out at the next election.
    We need to have shorter terms, elections every year maybe instead of giving them free reign for 4 years. Also it would be an idea to have frequent referendums on any proposed policy changes. There needs to be a lot more democracy so that we can "guide the government" as you say, instead of allowing them to get too comfortable and forget what they're there for!
    What we have here is a corrupt government repeatedly voted back in by a zombie electorate who have suddenly discovered that when you hand over your life to a corrupt elite you end up taking it up the ass.
    Yes. So where does this zombie electorate get their information from? Maybe that's part of where we should be looking for a solution to this...

I completely agree with you that people should take a more active role, but the system doesn't encourage this.
    Actually a "zombie electorate" suits FF/FG just fine!
    Oh, and you can't claim we didn't know FF were incompetent.
    I didn't claim that!
    It depends on who you mean by "we". Many people did know what they were like, yes, and didn't vote for them. Many more didn't bother voting at all of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Revolution=replacing the old boss with the new boss.We could allie ourselves with North Korea.

The classic Marxist idea of revolution.
    The proletariat are oppressed and exploited by the ruling classes, and eventual the proletariat rise up ans throw out the ruling classes and then a new ruling classes emerges who exploit and oppress the proletariat and eventually are over throw in a revolution. the cycle carries on indefinitely.

Marx through the dictatorship of the proletariat and a communist society would put a stop to this cycle.

Trotsky said the Russia did not get dictatorship of the proletariat under Stalin but the dictatorship of the bureaucracy.

either way revolution have a habit of reproducing the same problem in the end.

If you turn a when through full revolution the wheel is back it the same sate it started in.

Unless you understand the reasons we got in to this state in the first place any change will reproduce the same problem.

You are right FG FF and Labour are not the answer, they are part of the problem.

Einstein had a good point when he said.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."
    Albert Einstein

Perfect summed up in this Smirnoff Black Advert

Not sure how far a political party will go.
    The problem is a lack of understanding of where the problems came from or how to solve them.
    One or more Think Tanks who could come up with new ideas and analyse the problem we are facing might stand a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

We need to have shorter terms, elections every year maybe instead of giving them free reign for 4 years. Also it would be an idea to have frequent referendums on any proposed policy changes.
    Why not - sure we have money to burn these days, don't we?
    I completely agree with you that people should take a more active role, but the system doesn't encourage this. they're not arsed
    As kevteljeur has already said, nobody gave a toss about what government policy was until they began to feel the pinch. In the same way, nobody in this country is in any way interested in what happens in Brussels until a referendum comes along every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

We need to have shorter terms, elections every year maybe instead of giving them free reign for 4 years. Also it would be an idea to have frequent referendums on any proposed policy changes.

Mobs are morons. If you want to see a society where direct democracy and people power is running riot, visit California. They cant even agree a budget, their politicians have no incentive to be leaders and politics is dominated by narrow minded extremists of either extraction ( ironic...only allowing a duality, see what I did there?)

The best *practical* form of government is not one where Johnno (who cant even find Europe on a map) is asked for his views on European policy. Its one where there are passionate, knowledgeable, patriotic people who can win the confidence of Johnno to engage and decide on European policy on his behalf and he can hire or fire dependant on results. If you think thats elitist...well yes, it is elitist. Because if were not going to be elitist we might as well get our public reps doing song and dance numbers in front of Simon Cowell and do a phone in vote on who gets to be in government this year.

Yes, I know...direct democracy would be great if the ordinary man was motivated and informed, but the ordinary man is more interested in Susan Boyle than Jose Barroso. And democracy hasnt changed that dynamic of politics. Its only given greater expression to the populism of it.

Afterall, the Ionians, seeking aid for their rebellion against Persia thousands of years ago marvelled that they had failed to win support from one man ( the king of Sparta, who properly recognised that ****ing with Persia wasnt smart) yet won support from thousands ( the democratic assembly of Athens which was carried away on a wave of jingoism and dellusion about the war being over by Christmas). The Persians sacked Athens.

What we need are the Irish people to expect better from their candidates. That they actually recognise qualified, smart, passionate people and vote for them as opposed to the cheeky chappies and local big men around town that they have voted for so far. We have legislators who are overwhelmingly teachers, publicans and solicitors/auctioneers. Are we surprised we get such amateurish representation?

We dont elect leaders, we elect followers. I have far more respect for someone like Joe Higgins (who I disagree with entirely on almost every issue) than I have for someone like Royston Brady or his inspiration, Bertie Ahern. We need politicians who arent afraid to *lead* - to take decisions which mightnt be popular but which are idealogically and honestly the best course of action. If there was a choice between a politician who would sacrifice his own electoral chances to take the decision that was the best course, as opposed to taking a different course that was more popular I would always vote for the guy who would put his country ahead of himself.

They problem lies with the electorate ultimately. We evaluate and judge candidates on how they impact us. If a politician decides to cut the dole, the unemployed vote against him. If a politician decides to cut health or education, the involved unions vote against them. No body ever steps back and tries to take an objective view - perhaps Im getting hurt by this course of action, but even so it is the best course of action for the country as a whole.

If we stepped back and tried to take an objective view - if public service union workers were to step back for example and say , "yeah, its kinda impossible to see how the public service paybill can double in 10 years, vastly in advance of inflation, and getting that under control is important for the fiscal survival of the state even if i have some pain for a year or two..." - until that happens, were going to get ****ing morons, promising us everything for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Let the good time roll baby :pac:

djpbarry wrote:
    they're not arsed
    They're not arsed because the system doesn't encourage it.
    It's a bit of a chicken and egg type dilemma, but it's not impossible to change. It starts with the education system. Subjects such as civics are not part of the school curriculum. Therefore most children and teens grow up not interested, or feeling that political matters are somehow above and beyond them.
    I would like to see civics and ethics being taught in Irish schools. This would lead to a much more informed and engaged electorate.
    Sand wrote: »
    If you think thats elitist...well yes, it is elitist.
    Wait a minute, where did I say that anything about elitism?
    I have nothing against having a government(or an elite) if it is competent and willing to act in the best interests of its citizens. Nobody is arguing with that. The point is, they are not competent or trustworthy. So this thread asked for suggestions on how we can change the faults in the system so that we can get to a point where our leaders can be trusted and respected...
    Yes, I know...direct democracy would be great if the ordinary man was motivated and informed,
    The ordinary man you say? But what about the extra-ordinary man not being motivated and informed?
    And democracy hasnt changed that dynamic of politics. Its only given greater expression to the populism of it.
    Does this mean that you're anti-democracy or what? Do you think that longer intervals between elections might be a solution?
    Mobs are morons.
    What we need are the Irish people to expect better from their candidates. That they actually recognise qualified, smart, passionate people and vote for them as opposed to the cheeky chappies and local big men around town that they have voted for so far.
    But what you are presenting here is a contradiction. First you say "mobs are morons", then you're saying that this same mob should somehow "recognise qualified, smart, passionate people and vote for them" :confused:
    How do they make the transition from being "morons"?
    We have legislators who are overwhelmingly teachers, publicans and solicitors/auctioneers. Are we surprised we get such amateurish representation?
    Which professions would you suggest as ideal?
    We dont elect leaders, we elect followers.
    Yes, totally agree. Currently they are following bankers etc instead of putting citizens first. But what would you suggest to change this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Are you looking for the Revolution or do you want more PDs in Govenrment. If I remember properly the proposed the low tax no frills society and look at where that has got us.

Society should be for the greater good of all and not just a select few

Advertisement