Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scince degree in maynooth-THE MATHS

Options
  • 29-05-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hello,

I just wonder what to expect from the maths aptitude test for a mature student going for science. I am told it will be based on year 1 maths.

If there is anyone here who has completed year 1 of bachelor of science then i would appreciate your advice, or any advice from anyone else would be great too, can you advise me on which maths it would be beneficial to brush up on?

I have no idea what to expect,

many thanks for your time in advance,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

It really helps if you've done honours maths, it won't be new then but it's not impossible.

The maths covered in first science is Integration, Differentiation, Statistics & some Algebra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Maths is first science can be tough if you haven't done honours LC maths or done maths recently. However, there's plenty of support available for 1st science students. You have your lectures and tutorials along with an extra foundation tutorial type thing which goes through basic stuff related to the course. And also, the Maths Support Centre which is a walk in centre for help with any maths related stuff. The first years find the MSC invaluable. It's open 18 hours a week and you can come as often as you want. Also, in the first week you take a multiple choice quiz to assess your ability in maths and their extra support features there if you don't do well in that. If you're willing to put in some hard graft you'll be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fifibibi

All that sounds fantastic, a great help, especially since its all offered on campus.

Thanks for your replies, but what about calculus ???:( This is worrying me as its on the curriculum for first year in the prospectus? Is it lc honours level so that i can look it up beforehand, or is it a whole new level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

As That Guy said, the course includes modules on differentiation and integration which are the two main tools in calculus. Don't panic anyway. If you're looking to brush up I recommend getting your hands on a LC honours textbook or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Just make sure you can also do the simple stuff like working with Fractions/Indices/Brackets etc... The amount of people who get held back by this is shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Definitely don't worry about it anyway. It's a straightforward test, and I don't think it counts towards any marks (I'm open to correction there). When I was in first year, it was used to assess who went into standard, QM and double maths. Although, you could still choose to do a different level if you felt capable, or not as the case may be. AFAIK, and has been said already, the leaving cert honours text covers almost everything, if not it all, you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

nothing wrote: »
    Definitely don't worry about it anyway. It's a straightforward test, and I don't think it counts towards any marks (I'm open to correction there). When I was in first year, it was used to assess who went into standard, QM and double maths. Although, you could still choose to do a different level if you felt capable, or not as the case may be. AFAIK, and has been said already, the leaving cert honours text covers almost everything, if not it all, you need.

QM has been done away with since last year everyone in first science does standard Maths.

Here are the exam papers for the Maths modules that 1st Science had to do last year.

http://library.nuim.ie/expert2/downloads//2008-MT101-January.pdf
    http://library.nuim.ie/expert2/downloads//2008-MT102-Summer.pdf
    http://library.nuim.ie/expert2/downloads//2009-MT111S-January.pdf
    http://library.nuim.ie/expert2/downloads//2008-MT122S-Summer.pdf

MT101S and MT102S are the main modules as they are worth 5 credits each an the other two are only worth 2.5 credits each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

woah those maths tests look hard,, although i havnt done 6th year maths yet :rolleyes:
    Thinking of this course thanks for the help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Where could you get LC past papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 WhenISingAlong

• Advertisement
Advertisement