Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching TNG again... wth???

• 29-05-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok the OH has never watched TNG, so I convinced her, during this summer drought of new TV shows, to watch it with me.

Admittedly I haven't watched it in years but wtf? Episodes 3 and 4 of Season 1 are diabolical?

The Naked Now was a joke... what was that, it was cringe worthy. I actually have no memory of watching that episode on TV as a kid and rightly so, it would of killed ratings. I've seen clips from it on youtube and always thought it was some joke filmed for roddenberrys birthday or something.

and Code of Honor, talk about your stereotypes. It was like someone watched a "Safari in Africa" video from the 1930's then turned it into a planet of people for an episode of Star Trek.

Anyone else experience this on a second viewing of TNG? Are there any other doozies early in the first few seasons?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

season 1 was fairly gay, but it did get alot better with time it wasn't all just nostalgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

season 1 was fairly gay, but it did get alot better with time it wasn't all just nostalgia

No yeah I know that. I've watched the later seasons numerous times. I'm only realizing now I haven't watched the first season since I watched it last on TV in the mid 90's.

What's odd is the pilot was fantastic, and then the following 2 episodes are utter muck. Data drunk??? :confused:

Watch this scene, particularly from 4:10 onwards. I kid you not, it's like Picard does a Beavis & Butthead impression... what where they thinking :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxvWgV39G8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

embedding disabled on that video, but I can well imagine :)

almost everything about the first season had a kind of layer of ****e dripping off it, but there was some gold underneath all the dross.. I just can't remember any of it right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Many of the storylines and scripts in season one were hangovers from TOS - episodes which were never produced. Hence why there's very much a TOS feel from them - particularly "Code of Honour".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Yeah anything pre Riker-Beard was pretty much ****e. Then we had Dr. Pulaski. ew.

But lads, the Naked Now is brilliant in fairness. As long as you remove anything involving Wesley Crusher you're left with a good comedic 10 mins :D

Well, the Naked Now is admitantly a rewrite or a TOS episode to show that the new characters could pull off some of the stories that the original crew did with the same charisma that the original actors where able to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭Rawr

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Watch this scene, particularly from 4:10 onwards. I kid you not, it's like Picard does a Beavis & Butthead impression... what where they thinking :confused:

Weasley (excited): .....so you mean I'm drunk!...I feel strange...but also good!

Classic line. I always burst out laughing at that.:D

Well, the Naked Now is admitantly a rewrite or a TOS episode to show that the new characters could pull off some of the stories that the original crew did with the same charisma that the original actors where able to perform.

That's what I felt. I got the impression this was supposed to be an overlap episode with TOS, a symbolic passing of the torch, but it fails miserably. The serious tone of Farpoint Station gets completely shattered by it. Supposedly Frakes has openly said he's ashamed they ever made this episode and can't bare to watch it now.

Well I'll hammer on with the season, I just hope these stinkers haven't put off my OH from watching the rest of it with me :p She literally said "you went to conventions for this?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Beavis and Butthead impression is genius! Why though. What is the reason for this inexplicable utterance?

The later episodes are on Virgin 1 right now. Those are the good ones though avoid season 7 except for All Good Things. The Inner Light though is incredible and a season 5 episode. Season 1 is great in its own right for sheer comedy value, all the better because its unintentional. Skin of Evil was a good season 1 episode though it is a bit cheesy. Conspiracy is also good, the special effects are laughable and some of the dialogue is unforgettable and wtf, "we seek peaceful co-existence!!!, (why say it in such a hostile tone!) I love the 80s atmosphere, as if its a videogame and they've reached the boss character in the central brain node chamber. You don't get that nowadays. I can see where they got the idea for the crab people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Season 1 is woeful as noted. Good IMHO eps are the one with the Traveller and the one where Worf meets other Klingons for the first time (even though it's a big stretch to make it fit into his later back-story). Naked Now is pretty funny and what's not to like about Tasha Yar's dress when Data discovers he is "fully functional"?

That's what I felt. I got the impression this was supposed to be an overlap episode with TOS, a symbolic passing of the torch, but it fails miserably. The serious tone of Farpoint Station gets completely shattered by it. Supposedly Frakes has openly said he's ashamed they ever made this episode and can't bare to watch it now.

I think it was an exremely low budget ep with no external sets or guest stars.
    She literally said "you went to conventions for this?"
    Honesty is hardly ever the best policy especially with respect to Trek and ahem.... girls! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Uh huh huh huh huh. . . . I''m gonna score :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Jaysus, cut season 1 some slack will ye?.
    What criteria are you all harshly judging it on?.
    The episodes are over 20 years old, what do you expect?.
    In fact, some were possibly even developed in 1986, maybe even the early ones were filmed then too.
    Every Star Trek series had a start that was not representative of the rest of the series.
    TNG in Season 1 was certainly not low budget for the time.
    Just like TOS, TNG was re-introducing the sci-fi genre to the mainstream TV audience and at the same time had the tough task of trying to keep the old fans happy while introducing new fans.
    There was little to no Sci-fi on US screens at the time and creating something like this that wasn't a feature film at the time was an incredibly difficult task.
    It's universally accepted by fans, cast and crew that "Code of Honor" was off key but an episode like "The Naked now" has a classic 80's TV feel to it that was never again seen in Star Trek.
    Season 1 of TNG is a unique and special season that's appreciated for what it is and indeed what it's success helped to create.
    Because it was a success, if it wasn't you wouldn't have had six more seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's odd is the pilot was fantastic, and then the following 2 episodes are utter muck. Data drunk??? :confused:

Ah yes, "We are more alike than you think". That was cringeworthy. I also notice that Data seemed to display emotion from time to time in Season 1. Was it later on in the series that the writers introduced the emotionless aspect to the character?
    TVDX wrote:
    Because it was a success, if it wasn't you wouldn't have had six more seasons.

Enterprise lasted 4 seasons and no-one could forgive the first two seasons of that show. Season 3 of TNG had far more to do with the success of the show than Season 1 did imo.

Let's not even mention "Enterprise" in a thread about TNG. ;)

TVDX wrote: »
    Jaysus, cut season 1 some slack will ye?.
    The episodes are over 20 years old, what do you expect?.
    I'm an ol' lad. Trust me, Season 1 was well dodgy 20 years ago :D I mentioned the stand-out eps in an earlier post.
    TVDX wrote: »
    Every Star Trek series had a start that was not representative of the rest of the series.
    This is true BUT IMHO TNG is the only series where there is a valid reason for this - i.e. that there had been no TV trek for over 20 years when they made TNG. Other series got off to a bad start due to the increasing incompetence / lack of interest of Berman, Braga etc. TOS hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

and wtf, "we seek peaceful co-existence!!!, (why say it in such a hostile tone!)
    Best Star Trek line ever.

Though I thought that Picard and Riker were quick to kill the alien - not enough effort to make contact with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anyone else experience this on a second viewing of TNG? Are there any other doozies early in the first few seasons?

I skipped most of season 1. Total disaster zone.

I'm actually nearly finished season 1 now. Apart from episodes 3 and 4 the rest of the season has actually been decent. It's funny also noticing actors in it that have since gone on to be in other shows, like "WTH??? T-Bag was going to marry Deanna Troi?" :D and Deep throat from the X-files.

This season seems to have a lot more of Wesley than I remembered also. I'm so glad he takes a back seat in later seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Conspiracy is one of my favourite season 1 episodes. Saw it last weekend.

Even with the slightly dodgy effects it still holds up well and is one of the strongest epsidoes of tng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

This season seems to have a lot more of Wesley than I remembered also.

Season one of TNG In Will Wheatons own words.

Just started season 2 there and there is a real noticeable jump in production quality and scripting. The ship looks a lot more detailed and the CG is actually pretty good, pity I have to suffer fecking Dr. Pulaski, if I didn't know better I'd swear she was Yars mother (she might actually be, what with there being so many rape gangs where Yar grew up :rolleyes:)

Also, funny to see Teri Hatcher in it as well. Playing the lascivious wench as always :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

From Season three onwards I thought they were actually quite decent and some were actually superb.

The cast could really act - Patrick Stewart is amazing as Picard, Brent Spiner as DATA was also brilliant and all the Klingon and most Borg episodes were much better than most of the stuff that they show on TV these days like Stargate Atlantis or the likes

Long live Star Trek (and prosper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I remember hearing Patrick Stewart saying that at any time during the first season he expected the arm around the shoulder from Gene Roddenberry....he was in his own words, living from a suitcase, and never expected it to go the way it has gone.

Think it was during the teaser hour long special leading up to All Good Things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

pity I have to suffer fecking Dr. Pulaski

Quite liked her actually. Was sorry to see her go.

She was okay. But Dr. Crusher was better.

Khannie wrote: »
    +1
    Hated her at first but got to like her eventually. Diana Muldour was a major hottie in her day and was in at least two TOS epS

I got the impression she could still have been relatively pretty if she hadn't adopted that old woman hairstyle.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »

On a second viewing she does become bearable after a few episodes. They made her overly acerbic in her first few episodes but she eventually settles down into making sarcastic jokes and poking fun at Datas confusion.

In comparison, Beverly Crusher seems like more of a non-entity, there really is little to her, personality wise. I guess I like her more because I thought she was fantastic at a convention she attended that I was at. She also introduced the premier of the episode "Genesis" that she directed which still remains my second favourite episode of the entire show.

Advertisement