Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching TNG again... wth???

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

Man TNG was brilliant best Star Trek, voyager was stupid and DS9 with the Prohpets was bad until of course the Dominion War

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Penrose wrote: »
    Man TNG was brilliant best Star Trek, voyager was stupid and DS9 with the Prohpets was bad until of course the Dominion War

in fairness there is nothing stupid about 7 of 9 and her padded catsuit :pac::pac:

as for tng.... season 1 was fairly dodge...worse than a lot of the 90's outerlimits (which were cheeseball)....but when barclay came in to the show, it was the best because, lets face it, he represented the everyman...taking the piss out of the super arrogant geek squad ....brilliant episodes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

he represented the everyman...taking the piss out of the super arrogant geek squad ....brilliant episodes....

He also used the holodeck how we all know it would be used. Taking the piss out of our superiors and creating people or celebrities we know and engaging in "relations" with them :D

Riker confirms that humans haven't grown beyond their urges so something like the holodeck would mainly be used for sex. I'm sure they'd even have a private mode in it like in IE8, lol :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

OK so I was flicking around channels, last night and nothing on.

Herself sees that TNG is on Virgin, been trying to introduce her for a while.

She says "put that on shur", cool i think.
    Except it is bloody "Masks". The entire episode is crap, from the very start with the clay sculptures and Troi doing her usual annoying bit

to the above, I liked Polaski. I thought that she had potential and could have her character developed. Fine bring back Crusher but only if you are going to do something with her.

been trying to introduce her for a while.

Yeah I'm already up to Season 4 with the other half. I think Star Trek has a bad rep of being just strings of techno babble, spaceships and no heart so girls don't even consider it.

But, after the shaky season 1, the OH loves it. She's usually asking me to get off the PC now so we can watch the next episode. Compared to the likes of Heroes, Prison Break, 24... etc this show is consistently good and the set quality and production values are top notch. The CGI from current Sci-Fi still has a long way to go before it can compete with the level of realism you get from plastic models.

For me it's nice to have a refresher as it's been over a decade since I watched some of these episodes, but it's interesting watching the OH learn the characters for the first time and laugh at their quirks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah I'm already up to Season 4 with the other half. I think Star Trek has a bad rep of being just strings of techno babble, spaceships and no heart so girls don't even consider it.

Picard-esque Facepalm.

I'm gonna do Mistress Beata proud here and proclaim: it's not a girls just dont get it issue!
    Try being a girl who has seen TNG in its entirety about 10 times, loved every word (except Shades of Gray of course) and assumed as a young'un that everyone else watched it too.
    Then fast forward till her teenage years when she started to try to relate to teenage boys. Imagine her shock and horror whilst trying to impress a fella by discussing the possibility of warp drive, as he wondered wtf that had to do with the premiership?
    It's not a female thing. There is a ridiculous stigma placed on Star Trek by people of both genders without an interest in science, or thinking outside the box. It just wasn't "cool".
    Luckily I finally met a kindred spirit who like yerselves assumed girls just dont get it. Nope, some people just don't get it. How sad for them. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh come on people, I love tng as much as the next person but take off the rose tinted glasses.. your average episode is 30-40% nonsense techno babble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

IMO, there was some technobabble, but for many (me included) it was an introduction to computers, science etc at a time in the 80s when that was pretty rare in Ireland.
    It is supposed to be entertainment after all. If they were to be accurate about the science, there wouldn't be much of the fiction now would there.

Eviledna wrote: »
    It's not a female thing.

Well it isn't SOLELY a female thing, but it is mainly. Unless you are bucking the trend and saying the majority of females like Space Sci-fi.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into a gender argument (those always end well :rolleyes:) Needless to say, I knew of no girls growing up who watched Star Trek, even talking about new episodes of it got odd side glances. But the majority of my guy friends where into the show, and those that weren't... well they where those weird Star Wars fanboys :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

you just had geeky friends. Seriously, even science people were ashamed to watch it. Only know 1 girl who liked tng and she did the same science course as me. Also some of the biggest geeks in the class hated it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

oh come on people, I love tng as much as the next person but take off the rose tinted glasses.. your average episode is 30-40% nonsense techno babble

Voyager seems to have a large amount of this IMO. Seems that always get out of some problem or another by techno magic!

Just watched the episode last night where the Doctor joins with other holocharacters who have their own ship full of Alpha characters. Good bunch of episodes but I'm sick of Janeway not giving him any punishment for being so reckless again!

Advertisement