Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accrington Stanley receive Winding Up Order

• 29-05-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Just heard this on Sky Sports News, seemingly they owe about £300,000 to the tax office. I've a bad feeling with the way things are this could be a trend in the lower leagues over the coming months, given the bad news at Southampton as well.

Surely now more than ever is the time to allow more money to trickle down the leagues to help these clubs survive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Sad state of affairs alright, when you consider 300k is what some Chelsea players earn in a few hours. :rolleyes:

Weren't Accrington founder members of the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I think so yeah, it seems like pittance to us EPL followers but it's a harsh reality that we're seeing in the Eircom League as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Accrington Stanley! Who are they!?:pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYP1d5nN2o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Is going bust twice a record ?

Possibly, I can imagine the chants now

• Advertisement

Another reason for the working class blue collar boys of Everton to win the cup and give a nice 2 finger salute to the rich behemoths of Chelsea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

legs11 wrote: »
    Another reason for the working class blue collar boys of Everton to win the cup and give a nice 2 finger salute to the rich behemoths of Chelsea
    LOL

Chelsea players don't earn 300k in a few hours either, stop exaggerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Sad state of affairs alright, when you consider 300k is what some Chelsea players earn in a few hours. :rolleyes:

so some chelsea players earn around £3,000,000 a day?

thats 21,000,000 a week.

or £1,092,000,000 a year

can you let us know who they are?

CHD wrote: »
    LOL

Chelsea players don't earn 300k in a few hours either, stop exaggerating.

well you get my gist...

I think Chelsea's spending might be winding down at bit, seeing as Ribery doesn't seem to be heading to the bridge.

Here's a statement from the club site

HM Revenue and Customs debt
    Accrington Stanley have received notice of commencement of winding up proceedings issued by HM Revenue and Customs in respect of unpaid tax and national insurance contributions of around £300,000, to be heard in the High Court on 10th June, 2009.

Although we do not look to make excuses the arrears have occurred due to a number of factors, most notably because of the club’s contractual obligations with regards to players wages despite the fact that levels of income have dropped significantly.

While we have been back in the Football League, our average attendance has dropped from 2,260 in our first season three years ago to 1,415 for the season just gone. Despite the falling attendances and general economic downturn our request for dispensation from the Football League to postpone having to install an additional thousand seats was turned down requiring us to carry out over £60,000 of work on the ground, and we also took a significant hit with the collapse of our main sponsor Fraser Eagle midway through last season, with well over £100,000 owing to the club.

All this said, the club fully accepts the liability, we believe that it is morally right that the money should be paid and are not seeking to avoid paying the any part of the debt. With the end of the current season we now have the opportunity to restructure the finances of the club, particularly in terms of revising our playing budget, and we are confident that working with our professional advisers we will find a solution to clear the outstanding balance in full.

Aside from the amount owing to HM Revenue and Customs our other liabilities come to less than a quarter of this figure, certainly not excessive for a company of our size with the majority incurred as general day to day operational costs.

It's sad to see how common this kind of thing has become, surely it's time for some sort of wage cap for every division

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

well you get my gist...

I think Chelsea's spending might be winding down at bit, seeing as Ribery doesn't seem to be heading to the bridge.
    Who's spending power isn't, except City of course. Still about to shell out £20M for Zhirkov.

But yeah, your statement failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Eirebear wrote: »
    Accrington Stanley! Who are they!?:pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYP1d5nN2o

Can't believe it took a whole 4 posts before someone said that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Weren't Accrington founder members of the league?

I don't think Accrington Stanley were founder members of the football league - i read somewhere before the 2 are not the same,

still though its sad to see a club fall out of existense

CHD wrote: »
    Who's spending power isn't, except City of course. Still about to shell out £20M for Zhirkov.

But yeah, your statement failed.

How old are you? Chelsea have spent over half a billion pounds on players over the last decade. The wages would be amongst the highest in the world also

duh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I agree with legs11.

It is a disgrace that Chelseas players are paid billions a year, when poor Evertons players have to make do with a few butter vouchers and £20 a week.

I like the cut of your jib, legs11, I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Voltwad wrote: »
    Surely now more than ever is the time to allow more money to trickle down the leagues to help these clubs survive?

Better still would be if people started supporting them instead of top-four Premiership clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    Better still would be if people started supporting them instead of top-four Premiership clubs?

Or maybe they could just stop overspending. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote: »

Or remove their over sized rose tinted glasses and see that life actually exists underneath it all. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Zebra3 wrote: »

At least let me get a coffee into me before I get another our-shite-smells-of-roses fiscal lecture :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    At least let me get a coffee into me before I get another our-shite-smells-of-roses fiscal lecture :pac:

very well

class starts at 10.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Oh Goody , we'll get more of their players now!
    Hopefully more Ventre and Butler than Boyd

Advertisement