Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Wave & Official Invite Thread - No other invite threads please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

vigos wrote: »
    likewise if anyone has an invitation I´d be grateful if you could send one my way.

can trade for spotify invite if that helps in anyway

i thought you could only give someone a spotify invite to someone where spotify free is available. Ireland ain't in that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

According to Lifehacker, only people that have been invited by a
    google employee have received invites so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Shiny wrote: »

yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. Wave is a limited preview according to Google, whereas (iirc) Gmail was fully into Beta by the time invites started reaching people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I got my invite this morning - it took 6 days between the person telling me they sent the invite and the arrival today. The invite came from a Google employee, rather than from Google itself; I'd applied for the invite (along with the gazillion other people!) but I also asked for one on Twitter, Facebook and my Gmail status and in the end, that's what worked. (Just sayin', cos it looks like people may not get much joy from this thread for the time being)*.

Currently in the middle of my first wave. First impressions: I'm using it to chat to other people about finding our feet with Wave and its features so it's a pretty standard IM conversation so far. There's a couple of nice features: There's a Yes/No/Maybe gadget which you can add into conversations to quickly see what people think about something. You seem to be able to drop in any gadget as long as you have the URL, plus you can put a Google Map into a wave. Pretty cool.

It's not quite as awesome as I expected yet but that's because of how I'm using it. I can see how it would be excellent for any kind of collaborative effort involving docs, pics or even just making a decision on something.

Criticisms for far: I thought one of the features was that you can drag and drop photos into the wave but maybe I got that wrong? They have to be uploaded and attached. Also, you don't seem to be able to see when people are online.

*Just to pre-empt any questions, I don't have any invites to give away yet. It says I'll be notified when I'll be able to invite people, but no idea whether that will take days or months. I'll keep this thread in mind whenever it happens;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Congrats Stargal, thanks for the first impressions.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Would love to get one aswell if they become more readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I received my invite yesterday and I didn't get it from a google employee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I would like an invite as well please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Could I'd love an invite if there is one going :)

I'll pass mine on here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

Count me in for an invite too. Will put them all back into this thread if I get in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I applied for beta testing a couple of weeks ago, no joy. An invite would be appreciated :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Briongloid-M

I think the people on this thread alone could easily suck up the paltry 100k invites. Obviously I don't need to tell you I'd like to make it 101 - so, you know, I ain't got one either, y'know, just sayin'... :cool:

Now you didn't hear this from me, but wurd on the street is the big G are taking a hellova long time to process invites. It's almost as though they're trying to limit the amount of users. Perhaps it's just a traffic/server issue, OR, perhaps it's not running quite so smoothly as it's supposed to. I mean surely they knew what the demand was going to be.

So I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences with it, whether it's crash prone or not and would be particularly interested to know how it looks/works in IE8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

God, anyone with a free invite, throw it my way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Any invites & I'll re-distribute my invites back here.

kev2501 [at] gmail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Quick update, I got an invite today from a google employee in dublin. Definitely was held back for a while though because I know it was sent to me about 5 days ago. I checked to see if i could invite people but the help section said no, it was in trial and I'd receive a notification when I could invite others. I'll come back then!

Just a heads up guys, there's a lot of email scams out there trying to take advantage of the demand for Wave. These range from trying to sell you crap, trying to fish for credit card details to attempting to get you to download bogus "antivirus" software which totals your machine.

Nice huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I can't edit my post but I've gotten my access to google wave. When I get invites I'll pop back in here and share the wealth.

As an impression I must say I'm in love. I can't wait until everyone uses it. It, IMO, could potentially be far more important to google then search. It's everything you expect, but easier to use. I can see so many applications in work/college. As I say, cannot wait 'till it's out in the wild properly :)
    Now you didn't hear this from me, but wurd on the street is the big G are taking a hellova long time to process invites. It's almost as though they're trying to limit the amount of users. Perhaps it's just a traffic/server issue, OR, perhaps it's not running quite so smoothly as it's supposed to. I mean surely they knew what the demand was going to be.

I was in the first round of Gmail beta testers and it was the same then. Google were slow releasing invites for a while because they were testing strain on their servers. I imagine this is the same but with wave, the servers take much more of a beating.
    So I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences with it, whether it's crash prone or not and would be particularly interested to know how it looks/works in IE8.

No crashes on my end via firefox or safari on OSX 10.6 or Ubuntu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Will stick myself on the 'looking for an invite' list.

Indeed. Might be a veeeery different scéal on IE & Windows though.

Actually I wouldn't put it past MS to have some sort of IE "update" that deliberatly snafus it, and I wouldn't blame 'em for trying it either. Live Messenger and Hotmail - woooo! - Wave is going to bury 'em. :pac:

• Advertisement

Arcee wrote: »
    Quick update, I got an invite today from a google employee in dublin. Definitely was held back for a while though because I know it was sent to me about 5 days ago. I checked to see if i could invite people but the help section said no, it was in trial and I'd receive a notification when I could invite others. I'll come back then!

Same here.

I have the list of people who installed dropbox. I will send ye an email
    when I send the invites. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

I'll jump on the list too for an invite if theres any going! :)

Dave6195 wrote: »

See Sig. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Same here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I can't edit my post but I've gotten my access to google wave. When I get invites I'll pop back in here and share the wealth.

As an impression I must say I'm in love. I can't wait until everyone uses it. It, IMO, could potentially be far more important to google then search. It's everything you expect, but easier to use. I can see so many applications in work/college. As I say, cannot wait 'till it's out in the wild properly :)

I was in the first round of Gmail beta testers and it was the same then. Google were slow releasing invites for a while because they were testing strain on their servers. I imagine this is the same but with wave, the servers take much more of a beating.

An invite would be sweet. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

See Sig. ;)

Whoops, my bad! :) Just signed up there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Can i get an invite please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok has anyone worked out how to make waves public?

Thing is so frustrating. I know its a beta but come-on. I have no contacts and can't post public waves - all I can do is surf other public waves

Oh and just to let people know - when you join up you DON'T automatically get invites - I've gotten none yet (and when I do already promised...sorry guys). Also my own invite took about a week to come after the dude sent it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

pick me pick me... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

If there is any spares going, I would appreciate it.

I will give out all invites I get to boards members.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok has anyone worked out how to make waves public?

OK I figured this out. You go to contacts, click the + symbol. type in "public@a.gwave.com" in the box that appears. it tells you this is use does not have a gwave account and you cna't hit the submit button. ignore this and hit enter. now it is in your contacts list. add as a contact to your new wave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

If anyone'd like to invite me, I'd be very grateful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I would also love an invite if someone would be so kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Mise freisin. Would appreciate any spare invite, and will forward invites I get to other boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

If someone got any left PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

If there is any spares going, I would appreciate it greatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Id appreciate an invite.

Has anyone above who has asked for one got an invite via PM yet - just so we know if its actually worth asking for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I wouldnt think so - if they had I'm sure we'd have had more people in here giving their impressions of the system.

An invite is great and all but not if your friends aren't on it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i got 8 of them this morning - all sent out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i got 8 of them this morning - all sent out
    Ditto, when I get more i'll be back here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PipeDreams

I'm still excited over the fact I got invited this morning :D

It's utterly amazing to use, although I wish I had more people that I know to interact with!

I have since invited 8 people, and am curious to see if they can invite others.
    (However from I can read it seems they may not.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Requesting an invite also if any are going ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also looking for an invite if anyone has a spare one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Also looking for an invite.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Also requesting an invite if anyone has a spare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

i'd love one too ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

would love an invite to this. if i get some ill send them onto whoever wants them but obviously i need one myself first.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cylor

Joining the queue for an invite...

Will of course contribute invites back to boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Would also appreciate an invite...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

one would be awesome, and i'll give you free candy!

Advertisement