Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymacool Park - What's it like?

• 29-05-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Anyone been to it yet? What's it like? Is it any better than the Bernard McGlinchey?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

I have took a walk around it a few times now and think it's a really good park. Better parking, toilet facilities, childrens play area and also has a astro turf pitch for kids. lots of paths gardens to walk on. The only real things Bernard McGlinchey park has over it is the large level grassed area and the cafe. However Ballymacool Park would be ideal for small concert etc because of the hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I went for a look yesterday, with my two youngsters, and think the Ballymacool Park may suit older kids better, say 6+. I just think the Town Park has a better area for little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

I was going to open a new thread, then seen this…

Ballymacool Park is excellent in my opinion. Even more so the fact that you can bring your dogs, as long as they are on a lead and you clean up after them.

The views are excellent and, if you live in Letterkenny, the complete walk around is just what you (and your puppies) need after a day at work without having to travel.

We’ve waited a long time to enjoy a decent place to walk the dogs (Town Park doesn’t but I believe they are currently reviewing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Though dogs were banned in both Parks. They were even on about that in the local paper this week again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Although I have some sympathy for responsible dog owners, the lack of any ability to enforce regulations for those who are not responsible puts me off the idea of dogs in parks. It would deter me from taking children (or even visiting) Ballymacool Park if dogs are allowed there. I'm fed up of fond dog owners allowing their dogs off the lead and telling me that their little Rover 'wouldn't do any harm' as he jumps up on me and mine with his muddy paws, craps wherever he likes, barks loudly, frightens children and old ladies and generally makes a thorough nuisance of himself !:mad:
    Can anyone confirm the situation re dogs in Ballymacool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I can confirm that dogs ARE allowed in Ballymacool park as long as they are kept on a lead and owners pick up after them.

I love the fact that someone saw sense and made this allowance.

However, I hate the fact that there is dog poo visible beside the paths at the upper end of the park (near Ballymacool housing estate). I've been there a few times and I have seen a couple of dogs running loose with no discernable owner in sight.

I don't think that any responsible dog owner would let their pet have a poo and leave it there. If anyone sees this behaviour, they should be confronted about it as they are bang out of order.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that dogs from the estate that are let roam free are coming down into the park and so even if dogs were banned, the problem would remain.

I'd like to see one thing added though. The pet-poop bins that are visible on the Strabane bypass would be a good addition. Just a couple is all that's needed, and even better if bags were provided. That way, no-one can use the excuse that they 'forgot' to bring any. (Feck knows how long they would last, though. The bags would probably be nicked in a day and never be replenished!)

Owners: Neuter your dogs. Pick up after them. Keep them under control.
    Problem solved and we can all then enjoy the great park that Ballymacool is.

By the way, I noticed that the benches have already been vandalised with childish 'graffiti' (and I use that word in the loosest possible way). No enforcement to prevent that either...

Advertisement