Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Jump Starting

• 29-05-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I have a car that needs jump starting, I have the leads, I'm well used to doing the whole thing, but it's always been on cars of similar size, and I understand that the two cars shouldn't be too different on size.

However I want to jump start a 1.6 petrol car, and I can easily do so from either my own 2.2 diesel or my girlfriend's 1.0 petrol. Which one, if any, is more suitable? Or should I just ask my mate with the 1.8 petrol?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Doubt it makes a difference but jump the 1.6 off the 2.2 as it'll have a stronger battery.. good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think if you have to jump start a diesel it might be tricky without the right leads?

But you are jumping a petrol motor which is small enough so it should be fine. I've jump started a 1.8 from a 1.0l polo. Both petrol.

I remember there being leads for the van and leads for the car. They looked different :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

does tis mean you shouldnt jump start a diesel off a petrol battery??

i did a few weeks ago!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i jump started my dads 2.4 camry using an old ford ka the other day. engine size makes no difference imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never heard of this problem jumping another car.
    As long as the batteries are 12V it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If you have the choice - use the bigger engine's battery. Trying to start a big diesel with a small 1.0l petrol car's battery can permanently damage the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The best thing to do when jump starting are the following:
    1. Use a decent set of leads, do not use a €20 set as they are potentially going to cause problems.
    2. Leave the donor car engine running for a few minutes while the leads are connected the car with dead battery. If you hold the accelerator at just slighlty above tickover it helps charge the battery.
    3. Do not attempt to start the dead car straight away, give it a chance to charge a bit first.
    4. Connect the positive lead up first & disconnect last. Connect the negative lead to negative terminal of dead battery & to a suitable earth point on donor car, I have always been told to avoid the actual negative terminal.
    5. Avoid jump starting if at all possible, there are so many electronic control units in cars today for engine management, central locking, etc. The potential damage you could do to these units in either connected car could turn out to be quite expensive.
    A few ways to reduce potential cost of damage while jumpering:
    1. Buy a jump start pack, again get a decent one for about €150
    2. Replace a failing battery as soon as possible to reduce the amount of times you are jumping a car.
    3. For cars that are parked up for long periods without being started invest in a trickle charge unit & connect up to a disconnected battery every week or so.

Advertisement