Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate My Answer Thread

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Victoria. wrote: »
    General Vision & Viewpoint
    Billy Elliot and Lamb

Both Billy Elliot and Lamb contain messages of pessimism and optimism. They evoke strong emotion in the reader as the story unfolds. Both texts open with a feeling of loss, pessimism and hopelessness.

Our introduction to the world of Billy Elliot begins with a scene of his preparing breakfast for himself and his grandmother....

not everything can go according to plan, it brings us to reality and reminds us of those less fortunate.

I'm only familiar with Billy Elliot, but I'll give this a shot! First of all, this is very good and very promising, I don't mean to sound like a critical b**** but I've a few suggestions below, take them or leave them! :)

• This is nearly 1700 words! Spend time editing it down to 1200, which is all you'll have time for in the exam and is the recommended essay length for the comparative. You've just written a general essay for the mode of V&V. Maybe do a question from the past papers and practise applying your learnt-off essay to the question given. Just be sure to answer what you're asked and to constantly refer back to the question.
    • Begin by answering Q. given and saying you are going to answer the question under the v&v mode with the following texts: the film Billy Elliot, directed by Stephen Daldry and Lamb by _______. You need to give the details of who wrote/directed it!
    • You made a good point about the need for escape in paragraphs 4/5, maybe elaborate on this by discussing that dancing is a metaphor for hope in BE, this contrasts the total hopelessness of Lamb (not familiar with this text so that might be wrong!), Billy Elliot is like a modern day fairytale etc
    • I would also reference the ''key moment'' of Billy's audition and quote it too, where he is asked to describe what dancing feels like for him. It would add a nice touch!
    • You mention that Michael is a good friend to Billy, maybe expand on this further and refer to scenes such as the kiss on the cheek and the snow scene
    • You made a very nice point in paragraph 8 about the importance of the individual!
    • I would move paragraph 9 up to the fourth/fifth paragraphs as they are also talking about escape, it might make the essay flow better
    • You made an interesting point about a lack of respect for the arts, you could expand on this and talk about the pessimism of Everington as everybody is put in a box, stereotyping etc. like when the piano man tells Billy ''You look like a right wanker to me son'' when he's dancing, but how ultimately Jackie and Tony look past the stereotypes and people accept that he is a dancer and doesn't have to be gay. Also, Billy doesn't judge Michael for being gay and knows that they can be friends, this shows optimism as children are innocent, hopeful, non judgmental so the film becomes more optimistic as it progresses
    • You made a good point about how Jackie begins doing everything he can, even crossing the picket line etc. to help Billy realise his dreams. I'd tie that back to the mode of V&V maybe, and stress how the film starts becoming more optimistic (in contrast to Lamb?) and refer back to the question
    • I'd throw in a few more quotes throughout the essay, you need to be able to reference the points you're making and show that you've studied the literature etc. it looks impressive to an examiner. The method of making a point, explaining it, giving an example and a quote and then comparing/contrasting it to the other text is a good formula to constantly keep in the back of your mind!
    • If you could find a suitable quote from either Lamb or Billy Elliot to open and conclude your essays on it would look impressive!
    • It would also be a nice touch to try and give a personal response, just every so often when you're giving an example say something like ''This was one of my favourite shots in the film as it exemplified the point that _____'' or ''It allowed me to understand that _________''

Hope that this is of some help to you, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Victoria, I think your Kavanagh essay is very good but its too long, being completely honest. You'd struggle to get it all down in an exam I think, but If you can, fairplay and you deserve an excellent grade but to make it easier for yourself, narrow it down a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Good kavanagh essay but yeah break it down...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Thanks everyone! :D
    Will have a look at them over weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 candyshan

Does anyone have any ideas of what i could write for Bishop about her vivid imagery, peoples and places? Im not sure what to say about about people and places? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

This is my english composition essay, if you guys want to grade it and see what you would give it that would be good.

Title was something like "Write a feature article on the effect the memory and the past has on our lives".

Reading Between the Lines - Memory and The Past
    In this week's edition of "Reading Between the Lines", Johan will discuss his own weird, wonderful and often sad views on a topic of his choice. His selection this week is "the role played by memory and the past in our lives"
    Hello again! After last week's dissection of the horribly impersonal social networking website that is Facebook, I began thinking of the good ol' days before you knew every precise detail about how drunk your italian friend (Whom you met just once!) was last Tuesday Night! Though to be fair it was his birthday I believe so perhaps... NO! That's for another week! Anyway, as I was saying, upon reminiscing on the times that have passed us by and the memories we have been left with, I realized what an interesting topic it would make to discuss how memory and the past affect our lives! So while you were out living normal lives, I confined myself to my office for the entire afternoon to tediously piece together an information for an article many of you will simply flick past! But to those of you loyal enough to read on, enjoy myy pathetically thorough analysis of a subject you've never even remotely considered interesting!
    The past is merely a time which is no longer the present, event which have already occurred. Our memories are out versions of these happenings, often inaccurate idealized accounts, mind you. In order to illustrate this difference in as patronizing a means as is possible, I will proceed to insult you with an incredibly basic example: The Irish football team lost to Spain on penalty's in the 2002 world cup. This is, you guessed it, the PAST. I can, however, recall watching this on TV with my parents. That my dearest friend, is a MEMORY. While similar, these have separate influences on the human psyche as we grow from children, into adolescence through into adulthood.
    As babies, we are absolutely innocent. We have not lived long enough to have a considerable past, nor are we developed adequately to recall or interpret events which may have happened. Every action is wonderfully neutral, unbiased by any past ordeals which may influence our behaviour, Want to try something to demonstrate this? Things you will need: A baby! Watch a baby carefully. Now make a gesture as though you are about to hit the baby in the face! (For the love of god, please don't hit the child... THIS IS MY DISCLAIMER!) Notice how the baby will never blink. Do this to any human-being who has lived on the planet for more than a couple of years, and he will blink every time? What is my point or did I just endorse child abuse for no apparent reason? My point is children at this age have absolutely no memories, they are open to everything and anything! They do not associate your gesture with pain because they have never experienced an event that would indicate this. As we grow older, we become more and more conservative, clouded with memories which damage our innocence.
    In adolescence, we seem to shift out memory-sensitivity to the completely opposite end of the spectrum. Every little decision a teenager makes is a carefully crafted one to ensure the past event which he so fully regrets does not reoccur. The role memory and the past play for the live of a teenager is undoubtedly a significant one. In fact, to put it frankly, it dictates their lives. Don't believe me? Find a teenager, drive him to the nearest shop and insist, he assist you in your shopping. Observe carefully as his emotional well-being disintegrates in front of your very eyes. You are witnessing a teenager haunted by a vivid memory he has of the time he was sighted by his crush helping his "Mammy" with the groceries. Try it! It is a universal truth that this is the case with each and every teenager on the planet! The past is their life!
    For the adults currently reading this, thinking to themselves "we are the most emotionally balanced and unbiased individuals of them all!", firstly I am glad you share my enthusiasm, secondly I must admit for the most part you are entirely correct! While adults aren't dependent on their past to dictate their future or their memories to make informed decisions, there is no doubt that it plays a huge role in their daily life, all the same. That job promotion you opted against applying for? Your decision to cancel the annual family holiday? There is no doubt that that the former was made somewhat on the basis of fearing rejection, inspired by a memory from the past, and the latter, perhaps a financial decision because of poverty experienced in the past? Whatever the case may be, it is clear that memories and the past play a key role in how one lives their life going forward.
    While memories can often be useful and informative, ultimately, they can hurt your freedom of decision and encourage a sense of paranoia and conservativeness, whatever age you may be (I'm assuming a newborn baby isn't reading this!). So the next time you feel compelled to make a hasty decision, think! Is this you or your past dictating your actions?
    I hope you've enjoyed this week's psychological analysis of the role played by memory and the past in our lives. You are free to return to your active, interesting lives! I will just stay in this solitary room and consider further some more pointless and random topics which I can dissect, more for my own sordidly odd nature that for anyone else's benefit,
    Painfully yours,
    Johan Black,
    Now! Magazine writer (and avid pessimist!).

Tell me what you think if you like, what grade out of 100, where to improve, build upon etc. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

< My Macbeth essays >

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cottonpencil

So i wrote this short story for the English Composition question and would love some feedback. Its called, "Sisters"

It was nearing 5am when Sammy came into my room. Bounced in my bed and shrieked at me in a delightful tone to wake up.
    ​“It’s today! It’s finally here, wake up Kim!” she screamed again and again, until I eventually wiped the sleep from my eyes and kicked my brightly stripped quilt to the floor.
    ​This sort of excitement was unheard of from my shy and fragile sister (excluding Christmas and the occasional birthday). Her thinned blond hair swept untidily across her this face just as the light from outside my bedroom window caused her bright blue eyes to glint, in an angel-like fashion. Sammy was already fully-clothed and from the looks of it had been for many hours. Before I had the chance to sit up fully, Sammy was out the door again bounding off, happy to wake the whole street if she could. I smiled to myself as I thought what good this trip had done for my sickly darling sister in such a short space of time.
    ​I remember the despair and heartbreak evident on my mother’s face, the fear visible in my dad’s eyes and the hopelessness that day two years ago when Sammy was diagnosed. She was four years of age at the time, a happy bright young thing whose life was set on a timer when the kind doctor told us she had an incurable and malignant form of Leukaemia. That day not only did the life of my sister get turned upside down but our lives as a family were changed forevermore. However it wasn’t until that day I learned the meaning of the proverb ‘Every cloud has a silver lining’, as it was that day we met the wonderful people from the ‘Make a Wish Foundation’. On that day, Sam was asked what she wished for more than anything in the world. But all my amazing, little Sammy wanted was to make Mummy, Daddy and Kimmy happy again.
    ​Making our way out the front door it was clear Sammy’s dream was coming through, as she bounced her way out the main gate looking to any passer-by like a smiley and healthy little girl. For once our whole family was happy and giddy with excitement thanks to our little gem. Dad lifted all our luggage into the back of the Fiesta. The fun was had the night before, as Sam and I packed and unpacked toys and hair bobbins, bright swimsuits and pink shorts finally making everything fit. A smell of fresh cut grass was in the air from the night before just as the sun decided to rise. We eventually were all bundled into the two-door, five-seater and were ready to head to the airport for our big family adventure.
    ​Sammy was still hopping around the back of the car, a grin plastered across her face from ear to ear almost permanently at this stage. As the engine began to rumble I buckled her in tightly, there was only one seatbelt because of the rough and tumble down through the years, so I gave Sam priority as always. Soon enough, Mom gad pulled out the drive way and images of our semi detached modest little house were only fond memories. It was just dawn as we made our way onto the moterway. Cars with bright lights sped all around us, people with generic lives doing what they always did at this time in the morning, the telephone in one hand steering wheel in another balancing a breakfast bagel on the way to work, ignorant of the joy on spread on Sammy’s face as she stared out into the spinning world around us. I could hear the birds singing as Dad commented on what a beautiful morning it was. Everything was just right. I turned to Sam once more, I grabbed her little fingers and gave her a reassuring grin.
    ​“I will always be here for you sis, whatever happens” I muttered.
    ​“I love you too, Kimmy” she said with a sparkle in her eye.
    ​It was only when I looked over Sammy’s shoulder in an embrace that I saw it coming. A silver grey truck was speeding in our direction at the intersection, but why wasn’t stopping? The traffic lights signalled red to stop. Why was it still coming towards us. It was then I felt the initial collision and my whole world began to spin in slow motion. I could hear the squeal of the tires, an airbag exploding, the connection of the construction truck and our small family car, but it was the scream of my six year old little darling sister that drowned out the rest. I began to feel my nostrils fill with an intoxicating burning scent, whilst the salty taste of blood ambled in my mouth. Through the corner of my eye, I saw fragile bodies being tossed like rag dolls throughout the vehicle as stray objects flew through the air. But all I could really sense was Sammy there beside me, her hand grasping mine until there was nothing...
    ​“Wake up Kim! Please Kimmy, wake up!” Sammy’s voice pleaded with me. It was all I could hear as I was shot forward into a tunnel of light. A sense of nothingness enclosed me as I floated slowly upwards. It was only then I could see, I was looking down from the ceiling at a crowd of people huddled around a hospital bed. Please, don’t let it be Sammy. Please not my little sis, these were the thoughts that consumed me. Suddenly the voice of a strong yet concerned doctor filled the room.​
    ​“I’m afraid we may have to pull the plug” he said in a distressed tone. “Her injuries are too severe, the lack of a seatbelt caused her to bound forward, damaging her spinal cord. There is very little we can do”.
    ​It was my mother’s cry that drowned the end of his sentence out. And as she turned to look for support in my father, I could with relief see Sam, not lying motionless on a hospital bed, I thought with relief but bending down pleading with her sister to wake up. With all my heart I urged to descend and wipe the tears from my sickly sibling but my body simply floated, unwilling to move.
    ​As everything filled with darkness once more, I knew, my fate wasn’t to live my life on earth with my darling sister. But to look down on Sammy from heaven, as her Guardian Angel.

Another one of my essays, this discussed the vision of evil presented by Shakespeare in Macbeth :) let me know what you think :)

“In Macbeth, Shakespeare presents us with a powerful vision of Evil”

​In Shakespeare’s darkest of tragedies, ‘Macbeth’ we as an audience are undoubtedly presented with a strong and morally ignorant vision of evil. In appreciation of this opinion we must understand the key premise of evil at its most basic. Evil is indeed the very opposite of humanity, an unnatural force with the simple aim of destruction. It is a force that originates in the human heart at the darkest of times. This, in my opinion is the powerful vision presented to us in the untimely drama, ‘Macbeth’. The very evil nature of the drama can be seen in The Witches with most vigour, yet it is clear the unnatural force fuels the actions of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth also. However, I believe this battle is between two very distinct sides as the power of good is also prevalent throughout this story. These forces are personified in the good nature of a variety of characters such as Macduff, Malcolm and King Edward. These characters add another dimension to the stage as we witness the ever present saga between good and evil play out.
    ​Imagery is a key aspect in Shakespeare’s presentation of evil. We see a variety of types of imagery used to portray this. This includes blood imagery and animal imagery, aswell as light and darkness imagery. The use of blood imagery is at its most predominant in Act 2 Scene 2 in the prelude to the death of Duncan, “And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood”. The use of blood imagery throughout the play reminds the audience of the fatal actions of the antagonist, Macbeth, emphasising the sheer evil at the heart of the drama. Animal imagery is used throughout the drama as a symbol of evil. Lady Macbeth refers to animal imagery in a diverse range of situations as she manipulates the will of her “dearest partner in greatness”, Macbeth “Act like the innocent flower, but be the serpent undern’t”. Animal imagery is used most often throughout the drama to portray evil doings. I feel the use of imagery is essential in allowing the audience to connect on familiar grounds to unfamiliar situations, whilst it also acts as medium for a powerful vision of evil to be presented to us.
    ​At the time the play ‘Macbeth’ was initially performed around 1606, creatures such as witches with supernatural abilities were wildly believed in. Witchcraft, a crime punishable by death was outlawed and the abilities of these hags were feared far and wide. For this reason it is clear that the use of these unearthly beings by Shakespeare to portray evil was central in the entertainment of his audience, and more so in the Middle Ages than now presented a horrific and powerful vision of Evil. The initial introduction to the witches in Act 1 Scene 1 set a wicked atmosphere right from the outset, I feel this is very effective in portraying an evil vision to the audience. I also think that the horrid appearance of these ‘hags’ is a frightening image that hooks the interest of the audience straight away. In the drama, the witches are undoubtedly a catalyst to the unravelling of the central plot. These “instruments of darkness” are undeniably corrupt with a supernatural, evil nature, and in my opinion lie at the core of evil in the tale of ‘Macbeth’. It is clear that the witches act as malevolent temptresses playing on Macbeth’s fatal flaw, his “vaulting ambition”, alluring the glory of King before him, “All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!”. They play a prominent role in the discussions of the theme appearance vs. reality, as they speak in riddles holding double meaning, “Fair is foul and foul is fair. Hover through the fog and filthy air”. The Witches’ actions, use of short sentences and repetition of numbers 3, 6 and 9 exemplifies there supernatural persona, this in my opinion helps present the audience with a spooky and powerful vision of evil.
    ​In relation to the question of evil, a key character that must be addressed is Macbeth’s loyal and ruthlessly ambitious next of kin, Lady Macbeth. In my opinion the character of Lady Macbeth portrays the greatest desire for evil in hope of achieving the highest glory – Macbeth’s kingship. In Lady Macbeth’s first appearance (Act 1 Scene 5) we see the Queen to be call on evil spirits, “unsex me here and fill me from crown to toe top full of direst cruelty!”. Although this illustrates her actions were influenced by unnatural powers, she called the evil upon herself to give her the will to commit the most unforgivable crimes. We soon realise that Lady Macbeth holds an evil persona through and through, acting compassionate in no act, “I have given suck and no how tender tis to love the babe that milks me, I would while it was smiling in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and dashed the brains out”, this exemplifies her ruthless nature. We see with the calling of the evil spirits upon her that Lady Macbeth transforms into an almost witch like character. Yet after she goads Macbeth to commit regicide, she later suffers pangs of guilt for her involvement in the crime. Lady Macbeth becomes haunted, I feel this portrays the inability of a human soul to deal with such guilt. In the end it is evident that no power good or evil can save her from herself, can save Lady Macbeth from her guilt, “what’s done cannot be undone”. In the end, she is the crux of her own downfall. This is clear in her inability to sleep no more, her inability to be at peace, “here's the smell of the blood still: all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand”. The sheer evil of Lady Macbeth in my opinion portrays at the highest order the powerful vision of evil presented to us in the drama, ‘Macbeth’.
    ​More than any character in the drama, I feel that Macbeth undergoes the greatest of transitions. We see in the beginning a brave and heroic soldier, “valiant cousin, worthy gentlemen”. Macbeth is praised for his noble stature by all. Yet it is clear that this praised noble suffered from one untimely fatal flaw, his intoxicating, vaulting ambition, “I have no spur... but only vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself, and falls on th'other side”. This fatal ambition is the key element in the destruction of a great character. It is clear that in his quest of moral destruction Macbeth did not travel alone, aided most greatly by the witches, their alluring persona originally plant the evil thoughts of regicide at its most basic. Yet, we see the witches did not put a dagger in his hand, nor force him into hiring a hoard of murderers to do his bidding, the actions of Macbeth were of his own purpose, even more and more as the drama develops. In the beginning it is evident Macbeth as well as his wife greatly regret the crime of killing Duncan, “Wake Duncan with thy knocking. I would thou couldst”. Yet this changes dramatically as Macbeth begins to do murder without the knowledge of his “dearest partner in greatness”, Lady Macbeth, “be innocent of the knowledge dearest chuck until thou applaud the deed”. Until, eventually we see Macbeth changing into a heartless murderer in killing Macduff’s innocent wife and children without reason, “From this moment, the very firstlings of my heart shall be the firstlings of my hand”. In this we realise Macbeth is a multi dimensional character who has undergone a great transformation. As the drama drives to a tragic conclusion, Macbeth’s fate becomes clear. Although bulging of false confidence - thanks to the Three Witches apparitions, “none of women born shall harm Macbeth” - we see our antagonist come to the realisation of his fate as he suffers greatly in the end at the hands of Macduff. As in the death of Lady Macbeth, this illustrates the consequences of his evil doings. In my opinion it is through the actions of Macbeth that Shakespeare presents us with a powerful vision of Evil.
    ​Throughout the drama, we are overcome with a constant air of darkness and evil, it isn’t until Act 4 Scene 3 we see the forces of good rise up together. In this scene we see Macduff approach Malcolm in the English court, in hope of a rebellion. At first his plea goes unanswered, as Malcolm tests the reliability of Macduff as an ally. However in the end his endeavours prove good as the duo unite to bring down the tyrant that is Macbeth. These forces are led by the morally good and brave Macduff. Seen throughout the drama as a force of good, constantly in rebellion against the power of Macbeth, Macduff is the epitome of good in the drama. His will to prevail over evil can be seen as a complete juxtaposition to the evil doings of Macbeth, his wife and the witches. Because of the benevolent strengths of Macduff and Malcolm, as well as King Duncan, Edward the Confessor and Siward, the deeds of Macbeth are undermined even more so. For this reason I feel the contrast between good and evil, emphasises the vision of evil Shakespeare presents to us.
    ​In the end it is clear that the evil powers of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth suffer the greatest, due to their sheer disregard for humanity, due to their damaged souls. It is evident that those who deserved it the most paid with their lives. In this we see that Shakespeare’s vision of evil can be compromised from a variety of factors, the acts of Macbeth, Lady Macbeth aswell as the witches and the imagery used to present these. However in this appraisable vision of Evil presented to us, we realise the instigators of the storyline, the catalyst to the plot go unscathed, the weird sisters, the evil hags, the three Witches become immune from retribution, free from punishment. In my opinion this is a deliberate message that is conveyed by Shakespeare; the forces of evil are ever present, always to be fought against yet never vanquished. In my opinion this is the true moral of a timely tale, which remains in the minds and the hearts of all that hear it. It rings true a famous statement of the Irish political philosopher, Edmund Burke, “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing”. It is with this understanding of Shakespeare’s vision of evil we come to appreciate the story of ‘Macbeth’ as much today as in 1606.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

This is my english composition essay, if you guys want to grade it and see what you would give it that would be good.

Title was something like "Write a feature article on the effect the memory and the past has on our lives".

Reading Between the Lines - Memory and The Past

We were always told articles required sub headings to gain full marks for coherence of delivery.

• Advertisement

Aeternum wrote: »
    We were always told articles required sub headings to gain full marks for coherence of delivery.

I included a background first paragraph? Assumed that was all required, thanks though, I will remember in future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

So i wrote this short story for the English Composition question and would love some feedback. Its called, "Sisters"

It was nearing 5am when Sammy came into my room. Bounced in my bed and shrieked at me in a delightful tone to wake up.
    ​“It’s today! It’s finally here, wake up Kim!” she screamed again and again, until I eventually wiped the sleep from my eyes and kicked my brightly stripped quilt to the floor.
    ​This sort of excitement was unheard of from my shy and fragile sister (excluding Christmas and the occasional birthday). Her thinned blond hair swept untidily across her this face just as the light from outside my bedroom window caused her bright blue eyes to glint, in an angel-like fashion. Sammy was already fully-clothed and from the looks of it had been for many hours. Before I had the chance to sit up fully, Sammy was out the door again bounding off, happy to wake the whole street if she could. I smiled to myself as I thought what good this trip had done for my sickly darling sister in such a short space of time.
    ​I remember the despair and heartbreak evident on my mother’s face, the fear visible in my dad’s eyes and the hopelessness that day two years ago when Sammy was diagnosed. She was four years of age at the time, a happy bright young thing whose life was set on a timer when the kind doctor told us she had an incurable and malignant form of Leukaemia. That day not only did the life of my sister get turned upside down but our lives as a family were changed forevermore. However it wasn’t until that day I learned the meaning of the proverb ‘Every cloud has a silver lining’, as it was that day we met the wonderful people from the ‘Make a Wish Foundation’. On that day, Sam was asked what she wished for more than anything in the world. But all my amazing, little Sammy wanted was to make Mummy, Daddy and Kimmy happy again.
    ​Making our way out the front door it was clear Sammy’s dream was coming through, as she bounced her way out the main gate looking to any passer-by like a smiley and healthy little girl. For once our whole family was happy and giddy with excitement thanks to our little gem. Dad lifted all our luggage into the back of the Fiesta. The fun was had the night before, as Sam and I packed and unpacked toys and hair bobbins, bright swimsuits and pink shorts finally making everything fit. A smell of fresh cut grass was in the air from the night before just as the sun decided to rise. We eventually were all bundled into the two-door, five-seater and were ready to head to the airport for our big family adventure.
    ​Sammy was still hopping around the back of the car, a grin plastered across her face from ear to ear almost permanently at this stage. As the engine began to rumble I buckled her in tightly, there was only one seatbelt because of the rough and tumble down through the years, so I gave Sam priority as always. Soon enough, Mom gad pulled out the drive way and images of our semi detached modest little house were only fond memories. It was just dawn as we made our way onto the moterway. Cars with bright lights sped all around us, people with generic lives doing what they always did at this time in the morning, the telephone in one hand steering wheel in another balancing a breakfast bagel on the way to work, ignorant of the joy on spread on Sammy’s face as she stared out into the spinning world around us. I could hear the birds singing as Dad commented on what a beautiful morning it was. Everything was just right. I turned to Sam once more, I grabbed her little fingers and gave her a reassuring grin.
    ​“I will always be here for you sis, whatever happens” I muttered.
    ​“I love you too, Kimmy” she said with a sparkle in her eye.
    ​It was only when I looked over Sammy’s shoulder in an embrace that I saw it coming. A silver grey truck was speeding in our direction at the intersection, but why wasn’t stopping? The traffic lights signalled red to stop. Why was it still coming towards us. It was then I felt the initial collision and my whole world began to spin in slow motion. I could hear the squeal of the tires, an airbag exploding, the connection of the construction truck and our small family car, but it was the scream of my six year old little darling sister that drowned out the rest. I began to feel my nostrils fill with an intoxicating burning scent, whilst the salty taste of blood ambled in my mouth. Through the corner of my eye, I saw fragile bodies being tossed like rag dolls throughout the vehicle as stray objects flew through the air. But all I could really sense was Sammy there beside me, her hand grasping mine until there was nothing...
    ​“Wake up Kim! Please Kimmy, wake up!” Sammy’s voice pleaded with me. It was all I could hear as I was shot forward into a tunnel of light. A sense of nothingness enclosed me as I floated slowly upwards. It was only then I could see, I was looking down from the ceiling at a crowd of people huddled around a hospital bed. Please, don’t let it be Sammy. Please not my little sis, these were the thoughts that consumed me. Suddenly the voice of a strong yet concerned doctor filled the room.​
    ​“I’m afraid we may have to pull the plug” he said in a distressed tone. “Her injuries are too severe, the lack of a seatbelt caused her to bound forward, damaging her spinal cord. There is very little we can do”.
    ​It was my mother’s cry that drowned the end of his sentence out. And as she turned to look for support in my father, I could with relief see Sam, not lying motionless on a hospital bed, I thought with relief but bending down pleading with her sister to wake up. With all my heart I urged to descend and wipe the tears from my sickly sibling but my body simply floated, unwilling to move.
    ​As everything filled with darkness once more, I knew, my fate wasn’t to live my life on earth with my darling sister. But to look down on Sammy from heaven, as her Guardian Angel.

Just saw the 'short story' at the beginning, then saw you writing ''I'' .. My teacher ALWAYS recommends us NOT to use first person in the short stories. Instead you could use 3rd person maybe. She warns us of this as many people opt for the short story option and the sense of the ''I'' makes the story feel personal, thus creating a personal essay/story. This would bring you down hugely in the Purpose mark. That's just a tip though, there are people that can do short stories great in first person! :)

I included a background first paragraph? Assumed that was all required, thanks though, I will remember in future...

I'm not sure if it's a definite requirement but it's what we were always told. Articles are often broken up into sub-headings in magazines and newspapers so it's an idea to look in to it if your looking for full marks. Very good tone throughout though I have to say, if you did that on the spot it's done very well :)

I'm not sure if it's a definite requirement but it's what we were always told. Articles are often broken up into sub-headings in magazines and newspapers so it's an idea to look in to it if your looking for full marks. Very good tone throughout though I have to say, if you did that on the spot it's done very well :)

Cheers did it for the Christmas exam off the cuff alright... don't want to grow attached to it as I fear I could try and mimic it in the real thing then even if a title isn't suitable though I will more than likely be doing the article!

ray2012 wrote: »

Just saw the 'short story' at the beginning, then saw you writing ''I'' .. My teacher ALWAYS recommends us NOT to use first person in the short stories. Instead you could use 3rd person maybe. She warns us of this as many people opt for the short story option and the sense of the ''I'' makes the story feel personal, thus creating a personal essay/story. This would bring you down hugely in the Purpose mark. That's just a tip though, there are people that can do short stories great in first person! :)

I agree with this completely. Narrating a story in the first person tends to result in a much more personal, emotional tone. Avoid it if possible.

Cheers did it for the Christmas exam off the cuff alright... don't want to grow attached to it as I fear I could try and mimic it in the real thing then even if a title isn't suitable though I will more than likely be doing the article!

The same as myself, I can spit out an article on the spot much easier than trying to plan a short story. I'm okay with personal essays and speeches but articles are definitely my first choice. As long as a decent title comes up anyway :)

The same as myself, I can spit out an article on the spot much easier than trying to plan a short story. I'm okay with personal essays and speeches but articles are definitely my first choice. As long as a decent title comes up anyway :)

Yep any personal essay/article of remote potential and I am on it!

ray2012 wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback :) might try editing it.. What did you think of the story itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Thanks for the feedback :) might try editing it.. What did you think of the story itself?

I really liked it. Interesting, original and great use of language. :)

This is my Sylvia Plath essay: under time pressure so wasn't my best work, still happy with the grade though!

"Sylvia Plath's poetry is strikingly negative and bleak yet her poetry remains appealing" Comment on this with reference to the text.

It is absolutely undeniable in my opinion that the poetry of Sylvia Plath is extremely pessimistic and often rather ambiguous. Having said this, I found her poetry to be the most fascinating and engaging of all the poets I have studied for my Leaving Certificate course. The most appropriate poems to illustrate this intriguing quality of her work are "Child", "Poppies In July", "Mirror", "Morning Song" and "Black Rook in Rainy Weather".
    In "Child", despite beginning the poem rather positively, by proclaiming the true love she has for her child - "Your eye is the one absolutely beautiful thing", Plath uses her typical realism to convey the profoundly pessimistic outlook she now has on life. Acknowledging that her child's eyes should be full of "grand and classical" images, Plath suggests she is n incapable mother who offers her child only "this troublous wringing of hands, this dark ceiling without a star". Clearly her anxiety has taken over her life and left her in a state of deep depression. Of all the poetry I have studied, this is in my opinion the mot brutally negative image I have ever come across and somehow I found myself entirely engaged and fascinated by the poem. Personally, I found the horrific contrast between the joyous "colour and ducks" in the first stanza and the powerfully desolate final stanza successfully captured Plath's emotions by striking the reader with the harsh reality of her situation after having initially introduced a rather playful, innocent atmosphere.

"Poppies in July", as an entire poem, is perhaps Plath's most disturbing poem. Plath has seemingly hit rock bottom in this poem. Her intriguing perception of poppies as "little hell flames" is an incredibly hopeless image suggesting her inability to view life as anything other than "colourless, colourless". While this is undoubtedly a frighteningly pessimistic poem, it is oddly one of her most commended. I believe this is the case because of the skillful use of red, bloody imagery she introduces. "Blood", "Hell" and "Flames" are repeated for emphasis throughout, representing the danger her negative thoughts have become for her. It is no surprise that this poem was written shortly after Plath broke up with her beloved husband Ted Hughes as one can imagine the profound sadness this breakup must have inflicted on Plath.
    "Morning Song" is my favourite poem of Plath's. While it is packed with typical realism ad negativity, it is unique in that it finishes on a positive note, an atypical development for Plath poem. Her trademark pessimism sets the tone for the poem as we see her worryingly compare her newborn child to a "new statue in a drafty museum", a cold, static symbol for something which should represent the very fullness of life, and a bleak perception of humanity. Plath also describes herself as "cow-heavy", an example of the recurring self-criticism evident throughout her poetry. Despite this, Plath admirably concludes by acknowledging her true, untainted love for her child, observing joyfully as he tries "his handful of notes, the clear vowels rise like balloons". It is both comforting and engaging for an avid Plath reader to read such a positive Plath poem because it offers assurance that despite her inability to fully embrace the wonderful things in live, she did indeed experience, to some degree, the beautiful relationship a mother has with her children. Furthermore the poem also offers more insight into the complexities of Plath's mind.
    "Black Rook in Rainy Weather" is a less despairing poem than others in this collection of Plath's poetry. The poem is equally as engaging, however. While Plath sums up poetic inspiration rather fascinatingly as "a celestial burning taking control of the most obtuse objects now and then", her true message is not in the inspiration but in the long wait for it. She describes the prosaic "Writer's Block" eloquently as "The long wait for the rare random descent". This is an engaging means of communicating this infamously feared poetic condition which Plath struggled profoundly with during her marriage to Ted Hughes. It is interesting to me, as an avid Plath reader, to gain this insight into Plath's mind regarding her dependence on poetic inspiration and the tedium she experiences while waiting for the next moment of inspiration.
    "Mirror" is another gravely harsh poem which examines modern society's preoccupation with image as well as Plath's views on old age. Plath personifies the mirror in the poem, giving him a voice, an appealing poetic device with highlights the mirrors power and importance. The mirror insists he is "important to her", outlining the vanity of the person in the poem and their obsession with the mirror. This was engaging because I found it very relevant given humanity's fixation with branding and appearance in today's world. The mirror evolves into a lake and then explains how the person in the poem "searches (his) reaches for who she really is" - perhaps conveying Plath's feelings toward herself. The lake adds vulnerability to the scene which further enforces the idea that the person in the poem is losing control over their appearance. Plath then finally reveals her views on old age in the closing line as the mirror states that "in me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman rises towards her day after day like a terrible fish". While this is evidently a disturbing and pessimistic view of old age, it is nonetheless intriguing to discover that Plath felt this way about it as perhaps she is implying that this is in fact the root of her depression. Despite the hopeless and desolate nature of the poem, I found it an enjoyable poem to study because of its complexity - it strikes me as peculiar that Plath would often lament against humanity's preoccupation with self-image yet in this poem seemingly imply that she herself practices such vanity.

In conclusion, while it is important to understand that Plath's poetry should never be interpreted solely as a suicide note, it is vital that one is aware nonetheless of the horrifically despairing mindset she had at the time. Plath once said that "if you expect nothing from anybody, you can't be disappointed". I believe that this quote in itself adequately conveys her feelings at the time and helps us to comprehend the despair and negativity evident in her poetry. Despite all this, however, I consider it a privilege to have read such intriguing and insightful poetry as I have read in this collection.

Realise it has its flaws so accepting all constructive criticism!! hate paper 2 so need to work on this stuff!

• Advertisement

Here is my Macbeth Essay for the development of their relationship:

The development of the relationship between husband and wife, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, in Shakespeare's Macbeth changes drastically as the play progresses. Initially the pair are in love and very respectful of one another, they then unite in committing regicide. From this point onwards, there is a profound drift between the pair as the guilt and evil they welcomed upon themselves slowly drives a wedge between them.
    In the opening scene of "Macbeth", their marriage is strong and the pair are united. Macbeth refers to his wife as his "partner of greatness". They then hug compassionately, illustrating a true and loving bond between them.
    Upon hearing that he is to be "king hereafter" from three witches, Macbeth informs his wife and the once "valiant", "brave" man finds himself "yield(ing) to that suggestion" of regicide. However, these thoughts are merely "horrid imaginings" at this point and without the goading of Lady Macbeth, Macbeth may not have pursued the crime.
    Despite his initial reluctance to kill Duncan, Macbeth goes through with it and he and Lady Macbeth are united in committing the crime. She drugs the guards, later offering Macbeth moral support when he struggles with his action.
    Macbeth becomes overwhelmed with guilt, almost admitting his crime aloud, openly lamenting Duncan's good nature, his "silver-skin" and his "golden blood". In order to divert attention away from her husband's admission, Lady Macbeth cunningly faints, encouraging the listeners to help her. Clearly, Macbeth depends on Lady Macbeth at this point because he is, quite simply, morally incapable of continuing otherwise.
    Despite this dependency, the pair begin to drift apart from each other after this. At one point, Lady Macbeth has to request permission from a guard to see her husband -"Could he attend to my leisure for a few words?". Evidently, this once united relationship has become profoundly tainted due to the guilt Macbeth experiences after having murdered the kind king Duncan.
    This drift is continued and perhaps peaks in the scene prior to the "Banquet Scene", when Macbeth orders the assassination of Banquo, without consulting Lady Macbeth. This is a complete role-reversal. While Macbeth originally had to be goaded into murder by Lady Macbeth, he now commits this deed of his own accord, acting independently of his wife. He advises her to be "innocent of the deed" - language which seems to echo previous advice Lady Macbeth offered Macbeth - "Look like the innocent flower". Ironically, Macbeth has become the man Lady Macbeth had willed him to be when she goaded him in the opening scenes, questioning his manhood - "When you durst do it, then you were a man."
    This relationship development reaches another turning point in the key "Banquet" scene. While Macbeth and Lady Macbeth sit down with their guests to enjoy a meal, Macbeth witnesses what is indeed a dramatization of his very own guilt - the ghost of his deceased best friend, Banquo, whom Macbeth so efficiently and pragmatically felled. Clearly Macbeth still is traumatised by the evil acts he has committed. He is overwhelmed with guilt and frightened by this vision he sees that he pleads with his guests to look at the ghost. However, of course nobody sees the ghost but himself, and his guests begin to ponder whether Macbeth may be insane. This scene is significant to the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth because it is the last time Lady Macbeth assists her husband. She immediately attempts to calm proceedings, laughing off the declaration of guilt her guests had just witnessed, insisting they leave at once - "Stand not upon the order of your going but go at once!". Once again, she has rescued Macbeth from revealing his true guilt, ensuring his reign over Scotland continues.
    At the close of the "Banquet Scene" Macbeth announces that he is "blood stepped in so far" that returning would be more "tedious" than continuing. His only option, in his view is to continue killing. He has reached a point where nothing is of importance to him any longer, accepting that his moral life is effectively finished.
    Meanwhile, rather ironically, Lady Macbeth experiences an insanity she once dismissed. She too has become overwhelmed with guilt, as she begins to see blood stains on her clothes, representing her guilt - "out damned spot, out I say!". This deed which initially she thought could be cleared with "a little water" is now proving to be a much more difficult burden to relieve her conscience of. Lady Macbeth falls exhausted emotionally, perhaps suggesting she had a conscience all along and was possibly repressing her true feelings to satisfy her "vaulting ambition". Interestingly, at this stage of the pair, Macbeth seems to have a far greater aptitude for murder, an unpredictable plot development when one considers the first few scenes.
    Upon hearing of his wife's emotional collapse, Macbeth shows little genuinity in his response -"can't thou not minister to a mind diseas'd". There is a certain meaninglessness attached to Macbeth's life at the moment, and his relationship with Lady Macbeth is practically non-existent.
    Furthermore, when Macbeth hears of his wife's death, he merely states that "she should have died hereafter", a disturbingly empty response to the death of a once "partner of greatness". This is followed by his infamous speech in which he assesses the tediousness and pointlessness of life, a beautiful interpretation, perhaps only provoked by the death of a person he truly did still love. This beautifully crafted analysis of life communicates effectively a true emptiness that Macbeth feels, following the death of Lady Macbeth.

There is clear evidence throughout the play to suggest the considerable development which the relationship between Lady Macbeth and Macbeth undergoes. From the initial unity the pair shared, to the slow and painful separation they experienced following the murder of Duncan, to the tragic, lonely deaths both suffered at the close of the play, Shakespeare is constantly altering the very nature of their relationship in order to illustrate the reversal in roles which develops. While the pair drift apart evidently as the play progresses, it is perhaps an understatement to think that there is no love whatsoever between them at the close, especially when we consider the speech Macbeth delivers upon hearing of the death of Lady Macbeth.

Advertisement