Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Commander 2

Options
  • 29-05-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Well having played (and loved) the first game it's nice to know the second is on it's way with both Gas Powered Games and Square Enix working on it, but not released untill 2010 unfortunately.

In the mean time here's a teaser:

Supreme Commander 2 Teaser

Hopefully it'll be a bit more optimised than the last games which really started to stress even high end hardware when the battlefields got very busy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Hopefully GPG don't leave it to stagnate with no uodates or patches like they've done with FA for nearly over a year now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I actually did really enjoy SC and FA but it was so... samey

every level was basically the exact same thing, as far as rts goes it was pretty woeful it's main saving grace was the sheer size of it all but that couldn't paper over the monotony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I actually did really enjoy SC and FA but it was so... samey

Yeah was a bit. Plus I seemed to spend most of the game with the map zoomed way way out, kinda made me feel like I was playing a game on a car GPS system :pac:

Still, good game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Supreme Commander suffered because it was so bland, it was all very well implemented and I really really liked how how much control you had over your base building and how far you could set things up in advance etc.

But its main selling point the scale was wasted because the units were boring for the most part.

Also the single player was awfully boring.

I would like a sequel if they sort these issues out, but that teaser was quite cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah, I always described SC as very well polished monotony. Like Wicknight I spent most of my time zoomed out for sheer practicality. Hopefully 2 will be more exciting.

I heard it said that SC was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation but I never really saw it, had a very different vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The last announcement I heard was they partnered up with Square-Enix to make SC 2. Think we'll see much influance from them on the game?

From the trailer I'm not liking the look of the UEF super unit. It looks like four small tanks supporting a larger one, I loved the style of the fatboy in SC though. The cybrid one looks intresting and the Aeon super unit looks like a larger version of the Colossus!

I wonder if QAI has a hand in causing any of the events in the second game :)
    I heard it said that SC was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation but I never really saw it, had a very different vibe.

Essentially it was because of Chris Taylor. He was on the TA design team and brought most of the ideas with him to GPG and made it in to a more modern TA. If you put them side by side they play differently and of course look different but both behave in the same way. Multiple factories, large amounts of units. Super units :) super weapons. Mass/Energy = Metal/Energy. They even have Geo-thermal plants!

Advertisement