Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E46 Coupe Re-Gas

• 29-05-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads

Due to the hot nature of the weather out there and my AC wimpering like a small child, i assume it needs re-gassing it is a 02 after all.:o

Anyone recommend somewhere in dublin for this?
    Has anyone had it done?
    What was your experience / difference in the AC?
    how much did it set you back?

Maybe is will stop the dire heat when sitting in the traffic:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

I had my 99 E46 a/c repaired and re-gassed 2 years ago by Auto Air who are based in Dunsaughlin, they also do call outs. I think the guys name is Martin. Re-gassing is cheap enough, but if the condensor is gone or there is a crack in the rad, then you are looking at a few hundred. Ther number is 086-2023523. These guys know what they are talking about as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah i see, may be more to it so!

Dont usually like people doing jobs on my car. never trust them i always feel people are out to make money replacing things that dont need replacing. Just because i have a bmw doesnt mean im money bags. :P

Anyway of checking these parts myself?

Ah sure google here i come.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

As far as i can remember the best way to check for leaks is the pressure test the system. The condensor is in the front right corner of the engine bay, if there is something like dried scum on the top or bottom of it, then the consensor is knackered. The rad is not unlike a normal rad, and you can check for cracks. The best thing to do is to get a layout of and a/c system on the net and root around the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

pending your condenser is ok why dont you do what I did...buy a regas bottle with guage in halfords. I re gassed my 04 530d yesterday. You will be using the low pressure connector not the one near the rad. Its a piece of cake to do as long as there is no other snags.

Made a massive difference.....chilled cool air all day long today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

one way to check shortage of refrigerant, open hood, put air position to blow out face vents, set fan to high and switch on a/c, if you hear the compressor run for a short while and cut out and repeat this without noticeably cooling the air then chances are it's short of gas.

something to watch out for if regassing yourself, if the system is not short of gas and instead has a blockage then adding more gas increases the pressure which may lead to pipes popping:D you need some one to fit gauges and recharge properly, it shouldn't be that expensive.

al

• Advertisement

Cheers guys!

As always motors is a winner again :D

Update!

Bought that re-gas kit in Halfords. 53 Bills 20% off sale.
    The kit has a pressure tester on it. Handy!

Found my pressure was ridiculously high. Looks like the compressor was not working. It was coming on i could hear it but was not circulating the gas correctly.

Using bmw TIS, located all the parts of the AC system. Got under the car and gave compressor a few wacks with a trusty hammer.:)

Checked pressure dropped by 20Bar! Right direction. Air already felt colder in cabin.

So.. left engine off to cool down. (give AC gas time to cool and drop pressure) turn clock ahead 1 hour. System has low pressure but in good range on pressure gauge. Cabin ICY cold!! :cool:

Compressor was not shifting gas or had stalled possible unused or needed a wack to shift it. But it is working a charm:D

Money well spent (and time) Bring it on weather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

stop! Hammer time...

s2_ep2_dougal_hammer_200x150.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

listermint wrote: »
    Update!

Bought that re-gas kit in Halfords. 53 Bills 20% off sale.
    The kit has a pressure tester on it. Handy!

Found my pressure was ridiculously high. Looks like the compressor was not working. It was coming on i could hear it but was not circulating the gas correctly.

Using bmw TIS, located all the parts of the AC system. Got under the car and gave compressor a few wacks with a trusty hammer.:)

Checked pressure dropped by 20Bar! Right direction. Air already felt colder in cabin.

So.. left engine off to cool down. (give AC gas time to cool and drop pressure) turn clock ahead 1 hour. System has low pressure but in good range on pressure gauge. Cabin ICY cold!! :cool:

Compressor was not shifting gas or had stalled possible unused or needed a wack to shift it. But it is working a charm:D

Money well spent (and time) Bring it on weather :D

Well done mate

Keep in mind your AC should be used at least once a week, even shortly for like 30mn, because the components of the pump need to be lubricated. If you do not use it, it will break down.

Also a refill is one thing, but it also should be cleaned from time to time, once a year, every 2 years, depends of the use and conditions.
    Dealer have the servicing machine. They are cheap, usually just a fixed fee. At least @ Frank Keane...

Advertisement