Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pub should my foreign friend visit if she wants to "hook up?"

Options
  • 29-05-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Asking this for a foreign friend. She's 31 and from a different country. She's in Dublin a couple of times per month for work and would like to find a pub where she could find men. She says she doesn't want anything serious since she travels so much for work...this would be more like someone she could hook up with on an NSA basis.

It would have to be somewhere where she would feel comfortable going in alone as she doesn't really know people in Dublin besides business associates and she says she wouldn't go out with them for something like this..

She wants educated, professional-type and "classy" (her word) guys around 30-40 years old. She hates techno and dance music but likes most other kinds.

Any ideas of good pubs she could visit? I don't live in Dublin so I have no idea where to suggest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Doheny and Nesbitt
    Shelbourne Bar - guaranteed to be sleazed upon there
    William Searson's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Copperface Jacks

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toucan

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Copperface Jacks

lol

Ha ha ha. Any serious suggestions? Even when I lived in Dublin I wasn't big into pubs and clubs so I have no idea. She says she wants "posh men." I'm rolling my eyes even typing that, but it's what she says she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

toucan wrote: »
    Ha ha ha. Any serious suggestions? Even when I lived in Dublin I wasn't big into pubs and clubs so I have no idea. She says she wants "posh men." I'm rolling my eyes even typing that, but it's what she says she wants.

Your ''friend''. Sure, I hear you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

anywhere around baggot street .... or maybe some places in and around the IFSC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Why don't you ride her yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Something I made earlier for desperation:
    Jay D wrote: »
    Nothing personal to you mate, but these posts scream "I am desperate".

Single girls, or guys if you fancy are everywhere, in every pub, shop, library and office. What is your style? Are you the glamorous trendy individual or snot nosed smelly student :D

Find where you're at and ask the question, where is a bar that everyone's squashed against everybody else and where's a bar where it's quite decent, etc... It's like half of your original post is seeing whether there might be a singleton on here for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

She would be best off starting by not using yank terms like "hook up"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toucan

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    She would be best off starting by not using yank terms like "hook up"
    She IS a yank, hence the yank-ism and that's why I put the expression in quotes...I don't know if she is desperate...I suggested using something like gumtree, but she thinks there would be fewer "weirdos" in a pub...not sure I agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Messrs Maguire near O'Connell Bridge is a good place to meet respectable folk. Lots of men go in there after work for a few drinks too so wouldn't be a bad place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BeachBum25

Wait... are we suggesting that there are pubs in Dublin that a women can visit alone and WON'T get picked up??? I find this fascinating (and unlikely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BeachBum25 wrote: »
    Wait... are we suggesting that there are pubs in Dublin that a women can visit alone and WON'T get picked up??? I find this fascinating (and unlikely).

The George. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

they'll still get picked up there !!! (just not by a guy)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

any pub/bar/resturant in the city centre, on any night of the week

(well that's my experience:p )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dawson St pubs, particularly Cafe en Seine TBH if she wants to meet that kind of guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lol @ posh bloke.

Does she think that the sexual prowess of some drinking-since-Friday-lunchtime bloke is going to be any better because he's in a cheap suit and he went to college? :pac:

I guess she does have more chance of having her taxi fare paid afterward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

where's she from? I love foreign girls. I'll make it look like we just "happened" to be in the same place at the same time :)

Otherwise coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

apparently Cafe on Seine (if thats what its called) is supposed to be good for meeting halfway decent men. Never been there myself so I couldnt say for sure. If she wants to go somewhere nice, why not Kielys in Donnybrook or Russells in Ranelagh ....nice crowd in both those pubs, she might have some luck there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Fitzsimons Friday Night @ 10.00 - look for the tall lad at the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I reckon this should be merged with the copper's thread :D

edit: Never mind....just saw she's looking for a classy fella...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OP are you sure she's not asking you for this advice because she actually digs you? She mentions she's looking for a guy, asks you to help..............

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

PCPhoto wrote: »
    they'll still get picked up there !!! (just not by a guy)

Not true! I was there before and some weirdo was following me around all night...obviously some desperadoes are starting to cop onto the fact that ladies escape to gay bars to have a night of peace...but follow em anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

latenia wrote: »
    Why don't you ride her yourself?
    The OP would need one helluva schlong seeing as they are in Galway & the horny 'NSA' friend is in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hold on a sec,24 posts in and not one post asking is she hot...?

I am disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hold on a sec,24 posts in and not one post asking is she hot...?

I am disappointed.

It is a bit of a 'given' that she's not. If a bird on her own in any bar in the country couldn't get laid & needs advice on specific 'hook-up' joints to accomplish this, well ... she must be a bit of a boiler. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

There's a pub called the Church near the Jervis Shopphing Center where many women go on their own to "hook up", so men know what they are there for. So I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Hill Billy wrote: »
    It is a bit of a 'given' that she's not. If a bird on her own in any bar in the country couldn't get laid & needs advice on specific 'hook-up' joints to accomplish this, well ... she must be a bit of a boiler. :p

Whats a boiler?? Is that the same thing as a minger?? hahaha!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hill Billy wrote: »

I was thinking that but she is American and they think different.She could also be super hot and intimidate lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

fptosca wrote: »
    There's a pub called the Church near the Jervis Shopphing Center where many women go on their own to "hook up", so men know what they are there for. So I heard.

Really? Never met that many girls on their own there...
    gccorcaigh wrote: »
    Whats a boiler?? Is that the same thing as a minger?? hahaha!!

Pretty much...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Barge?

Advertisement