Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Drogheda exchange problem

Options
  • 29-05-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

to start, I have 7Mb/s broadband on DSL, I'm getting only 3Mb/s (at the moment of writing this). I went all through eircom fault report process, what I heard that there is a problem on exchange level, there is no estimated date of repair, and their bb support told me, that basically it can take weeks before they resolve the problem. I have slow, unstable connection, 3Mb/s may look nice, but it rapidly jumps between 1 and 4 Mb/s, and it's below 1 in the evenings. Pings are enormous, online playing is unbearable. Well, I have two choices:

1. Changing ISP (will this work? I think they're using the same lines...)
    2. Switching to digiweb metro (if available)

What do you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

Hi again, I just need some info - could changing provider on the same DSL infrastructure from Eircom (Smart is not available there) change something in my situation? Or should I try with digiweb straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

If you log into your router what sort of line stats are you getting ? Your phone line might not be able for 7mb.

Well, the line is capable of 7Mb/s, but due to some sort of problem in exchange it can't get past 4. Anyway, I went all through that, I don't want eircom any more, as I am not happy with unstable connection and low speeds.

Will changing ISP for another DSL provider change anything?
    Pokes wrote: »
    If you log into your router what sort of line stats are you getting ? Your phone line might not be able for 7mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

How do you know the line is capable of 7mb ? Was it running at this speed with good stability before ? Is anyone else on eircom in the area having problems on the same exchange ? I dont think switching your provider is going to do much to be honest unless that the other provider has gear in the exchange. And if you go switching providers keep in mind that your on a 12month contract with eircom so you will prob get charged if you leave them.

modem is syncing at 5120/384, line attenuation 38, noise margin 13.

I used this website to check line capabilities:

http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

According to them it can go as fast as 7185Kbps. I don need it fast, but stable, and thats the problem.

I don think that canceling the contract is a problem. I signed up for the service and they are unable to provide it. Two reps on the line and a technician on-site acknowledged it. I was just wondering if another ISP can do some difference, I guess I have my answer.
    Pokes wrote: »
    How do you know the line is capable of 7mb ? Was it running at this speed with good stability before ? Is anyone else on eircom in the area having problems on the same exchange ? I dont think switching your provider is going to do much to be honest unless that the other provider has gear in the exchange. And if you go switching providers keep in mind that your on a 12month contract with eircom so you will prob get charged if you leave them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement