Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for licence tomorow

Options
  • 29-05-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm collecting written permission from a second land owner in the morning, I already have the first in writing. I plan on going straight to my local station then. So I will have the written permission from two land owners, and a receipt from the gunshop. Its a .22 break barrel air-rifle I'm applying for a cert for. This is my first time to apply have I got all the stuff I need? Is there anything else I need to make the application?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Good luck hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You should be oK with what you now have.

Best of luck and hope you don't have to wait to long for the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cheers lads, thanks. It was just a neurotic check to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. The local gunshop reckons it takes about 3 months for the process up here. I'm in Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Shooting insurance eg IFA Countryside or CAI (unless you have NARGC) would be desirable IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

if your living with your parents , then a letter from the householder to give you permission to keep a firearm in their home may be asked for;)

• Advertisement

Shooting insurance eg IFA Countryside or CAI (unless uou have NARGC) would be desirable IMO

A bit late to get it now, but could you tell me a bit more about this please?

if your living with your parents , then a letter from the householder to give you permission to keep a firearm in their home may be asked for;)

Cheers I'm alright on that one I'm nearly 40 and have my own home;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

about how much does insurance cost?do you have be in a club to get it?or can you get insured on your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Odysseus wrote: »
    Cheers I'm alright on that one I'm nearly 40 and have my own home;)

sorted then ..good luck with the application:)

A bit late to get it now, but could you tell me a bit more about this please?
    & bazza888

http://www.countrysideallianceireland.org/

These do individual membership and you don't need to be in a club and you only need one of them NOT both. A lot of Gardai look for insurance cover too.

And best of luck with the application ;)

• Advertisement

you just become a member and your covered?if your new will they take you?

bazza888 wrote: »
    you just become a member and your covered?if your new will they take you?

Yes, pay your money and your a member and have insurance for ALL legal fieldsports, even if your "new" ;)

& bazza888

These do individual membership and you don't need to be in a club and you only need one of them NOT both. A lot of Gardai look for insurance cover too.

And best of luck with the application ;)

Cheers for that info, thanks.

thanks sorry if i interupted your thread!applied for licence today!next is insurace hope its not to expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Might be obvious but you dont mention above

Detailed letter as to why you want/need this rifle
    FO asked for typed and signed version for my last app
    I D might also be an idea
    Good luck,i'm sure you wont have any trouble

any idea which is best to join cai or ifa?

IFA ! great discounts on phone etc ;)

Change over phone rental and ya get FREE membership for 12 months :)

the insurance you get would be a help trying get permission in new places to shoot!i pressume it covers injury to farm animals which i think would have some farmers more at ease for you to hunt

the insurance you get would be a help trying get permission in new places to shoot!i pressume it covers injury to farm animals which i think would have some farmers more at ease for you to hunt

Exactly and they all know about IFA ;)

cool really helpfull as i was worrying where i would get 300e to joing a club,after buying rifle, safe,scope, etc.im happy now.

• Advertisement

......im happy now.

Dealer who sold you stuff should have advised you of this :(

Insurance is very important for you and for landowners peace of mind.

Think IFA Countryside is €70 per year but the discounts available are very good and €70 is just over €1 per week which is cheap insurance :)

ts brill at 70e and 50e if you do a direct debit!everyone i asked before today said join a club to get insured!id love to but didnt have the money for it!so i can now be insured and have peace of mind.

Clubs are an option too.

Traditional "game" clubs are usually NARGC insured which including club membership and insurance would usually be around €100 per year.

Shooting ranges membership could cost anything up to €500 for the 1st year and €275ish thereafter, which would include insurance too.

As an individual IFA or CAI offer good rates too

the gun club where i am is 300 for the first year 150 after that,but is mostly shotguns.if i had 300 to spare id join!so i think ifa is the way for me at the moment

Well I have just applied now. I was told they would ring me in 7-10 days with the Super's decision at that point they will then send the paperwork to Dublin. I was told that if the Super grants my request I will then have to get a gun safe before the licence would be granted.

All the best BUT I am waiting 3 x months on my latest application - phone call to Super on Tuesday :) to see what's happeneing

All the best BUT I am waiting 3 x months on my latest application - phone call to Super on Tuesday :) to see what's happeneing
    Cheers, from what I having been reading here about waiting times I took it with a pinch of salt:pac:

Cheers, from what I having been reading here about waiting times I took it with a pinch of salt:pac:

All depends on efficiency and attitude of your Super & FAO. MY FAO is not the problem tbh it's the Super

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

It's taken 8 weeks for the Garda in the village to check the gun details are correct. Now it's gone up to the Super for approval so this is week 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'm at 6 weeks for them to check the details of my gun, has now been sent to Dublin (or so I am told), wait paitently for another few weeks!!! Anybody know if they will issue licences under the old system one year or will they make us wait for the new three year licences, supposedly due in August??

Advertisement