Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for licence tomorow

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just giving you guys an update.

My local station was open this evening so I decided to pop in and ask what the story is. The FO is on leave for two weeks but they checked up on my application, it came back passed by the Super. I will have to wait for the FO to come back but at least I can now get the safe organised.

My house is timber-framed so what I had in mind was fixing some 3/4 ply to the joists heavy screws ever few inches contersunked and filled, so they are won't be visible and then fixing the safe to that. With 3" screws every few inches it would be easier to rip the safe open. Anyone know if that would be ok, or will I have to fix it to the external wall. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

When I was getting my licence the local FO told me the safe MUST be bolted to a solid wall, i.e. block or mass concrete. They sent the crime preventions officer to my house to examine it before they issued the licence.

Not too sure what they suggest for timber frame house. Maybe bolting to concrete floor downstairs? Better off talking to your FO as they ask for different things in different areas.

Enjoy the gun.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Different in different stations. Your right there pajero. I wasn even asked did i have a safe.

Cheers lads, I paid for the safe today, but as motorbikes are my only mode of transport I will have to wait to get someone to collect it for me during the week. I asked the dealer about my idea for fixing some ply to the wall with 3" screws very few inchs. He said that might be ok, however, I will have to wait until the FO gets back from leave to double check it.

I went for a Gamo Viper Max .22. Anybody any reviews/experience of this model?

http://www.gamo.com/portal/international/rifles/ctnt/s0_0/_/_/10v1/Viper-Max.html

Just got a call there, licence is there to collect at my local station. I just have to fit the safe, hopefully I will get that done tomorrow night.

I asked about the ammo limit and was told it was down as 100, so I explained that they only come in tins of 500. I was told that I would need amendment, anyone know if this can that be done at local level or will it need to go back to Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Odysseus wrote: »
    I asked about the ammo limit and was told it was down as 100, so I explained that they only come in tins of 500. I was told that I would need amendment, anyone know if this can that be done at local level or will it need to go back to Dublin?

It should be doable at a local level. Your Super can write in the change or if he/she has authorised it maybe even your FO could do it.

IRLConor wrote: »
    It should be doable at a local level. Your Super can write in the change or if he/she has authorised it maybe even your FO could do it.

Cheers, thanks for that.

I collected the licence this morning, just back from the gun shop. I still need to get the amendent sorted, but as it expires the end of the month, I prob end up getting it sorted then. I picked up a scope an AGS Sapphire Duplex and the guy in the shop split a tin of pellets and say he will look after until I get the amendent sort.

So I'm a happy camper hope to head out shortly and zero the scope, just need to check the instructions. I never use a scope before.

I'll try to put a pic up later on in the other thread.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who helped with my questions over the past few weeks. Though now I'm started I'm sure I'll be back with lots more. Cheers guys.

Advertisement