Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else been totally ignoring french since oral?How do you study it?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Had such a good grasp of it before easter totaly forgot about it now! anyone the same ? Any tips how to study it and is it a good subject for points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I was doing long questions at school since the oral and getting my teacher to correct it. I basically plan on looking over verbs and some grammar/vocabulary the day before. Not the best plan admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ive been going over alot of phrases and stuff for the opinion pieces and the letter layouts etc.
    its a horrible exam because they can throw anything at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've done barely anything since the mocks, hoping that it has helped my vocabulary and tenses tho. One tip i got from a sub teacher we had for the last few weeks (was pretty crappy but told us on the last day that shes actually a corrector for the lc) was that people who do the more personal choice on Q1 do a lot better for marks. Like say in the mocks, one comprehension was about racism and one of the q1s was something like "have you ever experienced racism?"....those questions apparently do better. Havent seen it here before so just thought id share :D

So for question 1, i'd be learning loads of personal phrases in the first person that i can use. For Q2, all the journal intime phrases, other than that its general vocabulary and tenses. As for the other written piece, im not sure, have to learn topical comments, just not sure yet which ones to focus on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

I've done shít all since the mocks aswell....I'm just hoping my decent level of french will pull me through, I know most the tenses and grammar etc.
    If I was bothered I would study these topics:
    Obesity
    Traffic problems
    Unemployment
    Pollution
    Drugs/Smoking/Alcohol
    Role of mothers/fathers in families

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Apparently, a formal letter is due up....

Our teacher, who's a corrector, said it might be a thank you to a hotel where you enjoyed your stay. Failing that, a reservation to a camp site, hotel..etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Good tips thanks guys! what ye all hoping for? id love to just get the honor tbh i was meant to do pass french if fifth year but tot i might aswell stick it out as i would be just as crap in pass!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Good tips thanks guys! what ye all hoping for? id love to just get the honor tbh i was meant to do pass french if fifth year but tot i might aswell stick it out as i would be just as crap in pass!:p

I need a C3, only been doin honours since February. Am able to get a C1 probably. I always study french cause I love it, my fav subject. Hate the comps. tho. I've study idioms and jus general sen. u can throw in anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

C3 for me too, French is my weakest subject by far. Could get a d1 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

I got an A1 last year and my teacher was such a stickler for grammar. We did grammar, grammar and more grammar till we were conjugating French verbs backwards in our sleep so seriously focus on it.. it's essential for the comprehension (specific grammar Qs - usually worth about 10 marks) and for the written section as you cannot compose good, solid, coherent sentences with sh*te grammar. If you feel your grammar needs a lot of work, make a chart with a column for each tense and conjugate verbs that you'll use the most in each tense and look over it for 5 minutes a night. Make a chart with definitions of all the grammar terms and relevant examples, for example:

Le pronom démonstratif
    - this, that, these and those.
    Example:
    Masc sing: celui Masc plural: ceux
    Fem sing: celle Fem plural: celles
    NB: Must be followed by ci or là, a relative pronoun or the preposition 'de'.

L'impératif
    - used to give an order or advice/to make a suggestion.
    To form: Use the tu/nous/vous form of the verb in the present tense leaving out the personal pronoun. NB: drop the 's' from the "tu" form of 'ER' verbs.

The chart my teachers made us make had 49 explained terms like those above. Look over it for a few minutes every night up till the exam.

I'd then make sure that I'd done every comprehension in the exam papers if you haven't already done them as class/home work. If you have then get yourself onto the website of Le Monde or if you'd prefer a lighter read then get down to Eason and buy Voici (it's like "Hello" but in French) even if you're not into gossip mags cos it's easy to read, you don't feel like you're "studying" while reading it and you could even pick up some helpful phrases for the Journal en time etc.

Listen to the CD you got with your text book/exam papers over and over and over again as the aural is worth a serious chunk of the marks so it's worth putting the time in. If you have digital tv then you probably have TV5 so you could watch a bit of that if you're bothered or listen to podcasts on the internet.

Bonne chance!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

thanks for last post!

My aural usually drags me down but I've done all the papers & even past mocks so hope it has significantly improved!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement