Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been robbed?

Options
  • 29-05-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

I'm off to Barcelona next week and just reading some reviews it appears to be labelled "The Crime City of Europe" not sure how true that it.. I mean you'll get opportunistic pick pockets and the likes everywhere.

Anyways, it reminded me of a few years ago when I got robbed in Spain. Lost about E400 along with all my credit and debit cards.. was a pain but not the end of the world.

So did you ever get robbed or mugged whether it be at home or aboad on holidays?

Is crime that rampant?

So, ever been robbed / mugged in broad daylight? 113 votes

Yep - got robbed here in good ol' Eire!
    0% 0 votes
    Yeah - got robbed whilst on holiday, no fair!
    56% 64 votes
    Nope! All my valuables have remained untouched!
    8% 10 votes
    Robbed? Only if you count the Banks and Rip Off Ireland...
    34% 39 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

no

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Once, and almost a second time. Thank goodness for hurley sticks.:cool:

btw, hope you don't get mugged in Barcelona. The ironing if it happened.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'm off to Barcelona next week and just reading some reviews it appears to be labelled "The Crime City of Europe" not sure how true that it.. I mean you'll get opportunistic pick pockets and the likes everywhere.

Anyways, it reminded me of a few years ago when I got robbed in Spain. Lost about E400 along with all my credit and debit cards.. was a pain but not the end of the world.

So did you ever get robbed or mugged whether it be at home or aboad on holidays?

Is crime that rampant?
    Barcelona is a dodgy spot. Pickpocketers are rife in that city. I would carry valuables in a zipped pocket at all times. Spain itself is generally dodgy. The influx of filthy Moroccans is a key influence on this

Mod edit: Dr. Bollocko banned this user for this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Got my phone robbed when I was young, plus they took my bag of cans as well...(shakes fist).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

My friend was robbed, they just picked her up and put her in a bag.

galwayrush wrote: »
    btw, hope you don't get mugged in Barcelona. The ironing if it happened.:rolleyes:

*Makes smug pun about wrong word*

Does loosing ones virginity count?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Dont keep your wallet in your back pocket in barca anyways, any tour you go on the tour guides are all ways saying that its really bad for pickpocketing.

Hf though its a class city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Barcelona is a dodgy spot. Pickpocketers are rife in that city. I would carry valuables in a zipped pocket at all times. Spain itself is generally dodgy. The influx of filthy Moroccans is a key influence on this

Awwh.. I won't have to wear a fanny pack will I? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

That was deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

San Francisco, 2000 (J1 Summer): Robbed three times. That's what happens when you stagger around the red light district (it's where my lodgings were as it was cheap) at 3am.

Cork, circa 1998: Robbed at screwdriver point coming home from club. Farcical situation. He asked me for money first and I told him I had none (this was true). He brandished a screwdriver in my face then, but it didn't make me any richer. I was pretty drunk so I chased him then and gave him some abuse. I'd buy him a pint if I met him now - they were different times.

Only if you have a big belly that hangs over it and blocks it from view!
    Boston wrote: »
    That was deliberate.

Shhh . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:eek:

GTFO AH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Was in Salou, its near enough to Barcelona, 2years ago at the airport just after landing and everyone was trying to put the bags into the bus and with loads of people around trying to mind bags and stuff a pick pocket guy hand his had in my mothers bag, and only for my brother seen him and hitting him a puck he coulda got a lot of money. He legged it then the F~cker. Mind your self op esp around the airport when you have all your money on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

rediguana wrote: »
    San Francisco, 2000 (J1 Summer): Robbed three times. That's what happens when you stagger around the red light district (it's where my lodgings were as it was cheap) at 3am.

Cork, circa 1998: Robbed at screwdriver point coming home from club. Farcical situation. He asked me for money first and I told him I had none (this was true). He brandished a screwdriver in my face then, but it didn't make me any richer. I was pretty drunk so I chased him then and gave him some abuse. I'd buy him a pint if I met him now - they were different times.

It was me.

Where's my pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

galwayrush wrote: »
    Does loosing ones virginity count?:pac:

You can actually have that back, no one wanted it in the end :(

I found Barca fine, wasn't particularly careful with my shit - mainly as we hadn't heard the rumours about it being rob-central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Thank God someone else got robbed on hols and I'm not the only fool out there! :D

I was in an Ice-cream parlour in Torrevieja working my way through a big Strawberry Sundae and I had my handbag left on the chair beside me when along comes this guy with the menu speaking Spanish. He spent a few minutes warbling on about something or other then 10 minutes later go to look for wallet... and hey presto it's all goned away!

Afterwards we reckoned he had an accomplice to snatched my wallet whilst he was distracting us. Good thing he didn't take my bag though as my passport was in it!

Oh wells, lesson learned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its been tried. They failed badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

After Hours has robbed me of my innocence, does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

In all my travels, I've only been pick pocketed on o'connell st in Dublin. I knew who exactly who did it also....

When I reported it the guards showed me a picture of the pick pocketers and said that they were well known.... never heard anything more after that.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Someone stole my phone in school.
    Happened twice actually :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Biggins wrote: »
    Its been tried. They failed badly.

I know I'm a newbie - but I've always paid attention to your posts; are you James Bond?

OT, yeah we used to get broken into at least once a month, then moved to a place with amazinly low crime rates and got broken into within a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Robbed at gunpoint in 1997 in Finglas. Took wages from the site I was working on.

I am still waiting for the detective to call me to take a statement. They were busy that weekend :(, The Tour de France was on. I could still give them a description if they're interested. Nice handbrake turns by the squad cars when they arrived though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yep about 4 years ago walking home from a christmas party, 2 guys hopped on me and hit me with a pole in the head twice. I was left in hospital with 30 stitches in my head and scars that will be on my head forever. Firebirgade had to come and clean up all the blood
    What did they get? 5euros (why I was not in a taxi) in change and an old mobile.
    Ah sweet memories:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

brummytom wrote: »
    I know I'm a newbie - but I've always paid attention to your posts; are you James Bond?

LOL I wish. More like Mr Bean!
    I'm just lucky to know a little about how to take care of one's self more than an average person. Thats all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Biggins wrote: »
    LOL I wish. More like Mr Bean!
    I'm just lucky to know a little about how to take care of one's self more than an average person. Thats all. :)

Meh.. better than I can do to be honest; I've lost many a fight to air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Never being robbed thank god either at home or abroad. Had a few of the usual scams attempted on me like the laptop/phonebook switcheroo however naturally I knew of it and played along with the Laptop scam before getting LV Metro to book him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

nopey nope

thanfully.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Barcelona can be dodgy, but keep your wits about you, particularly in the metro stations and along the Ramblas and you should be ok.
    The only brush with theft I've had, was while living in Edinburgh a few years ago, the car was broken into, with an attempted hotwiring and my jacket and minidiscs were stolen.

Advertisement