Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been robbed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I often wonder how I will react if I am ever robbed, I definitely think I am likely to shoot to kill and would not go back an inch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Barcelona is a dodgy spot. Pickpocketers are rife in that city. I would carry valuables in a zipped pocket at all times. Spain itself is generally dodgy. The influx of filthy Moroccans is a key influence on this

Am i the only person here put off by this comment ?

But nope never been robbed :) and have been to barcelona twice, out in cork loads of times and dublin too and never had any hassle !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

never been robbed or mugged thank god.

House and car were both broken into in past three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Dad was robbed of his wallet in feckin Jerusalem of all places.
    Damn postcard sellers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 conbhui

I'm off to Barcelona next week and just reading some reviews it appears to be labelled "The Crime City of Europe" not sure how true that it.. I mean you'll get opportunistic pick pockets and the likes everywhere.

Anyways, it reminded me of a few years ago when I got robbed in Spain. Lost about E400 along with all my credit and debit cards.. was a pain but not the end of the world.

So did you ever get robbed or mugged whether it be at home or aboad on holidays?

Is crime that rampant?

I was robbed of my dignity. does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can't believe how many have never been robbed. I'm feeling very unlucky been broken into twice. Ten years ago in a shared apartment stupid c*** staying on our couch left a window open when he went out, clever thing to do in a ground floor apartment near Benburb street. Lost a weeks wages was paid in cash at the time, disc man, had two cases that held about 30CDs each must have only seen one emptied that but they must have had some taste left one CD Oasis Be Here Now ( It was a present I didn't buy it:o). Six years ago when my girlfriend didn't lock the patio door properly luckily wasn't sleeping well that night went to jacks thought I didn't leave light on in sitting room and my brother must have come home, took me a couple of seconds to realise it wasn't as I hadn't my glasses on. He legged it and I ran after him going up the street after him in just my boxers till I realised I wasn't really appropriately attired to kick the s*** out of the little toe rag. Got my girlfriends hand bag but there was only loose change and bank cards in it.
    Jumped by three guys on the way home from work at about two in the morning. Gave me a few digs then rooted through my pockets got a tenner and my wine opener for some reason didn't notice the backpack over my shoulder which had my phone and wallet. Had left work early and was stone cold sober where I'd normally have been walking home 2 or 3 hours later with a good few pints on me. Left me with two black eyes and was pretty shook up took me a several weeks before I’d walk at night by myself .
    Have had two quite good mountain bikes robbed one on Jervis Street one from underground car park both with decent locks on them.
    Had phone and wallet containing only bank cards taken from coat on back of stool on a night out. Was locked drunk and only noticed them missing in the morning by which time €70 worth of calls were made to the States and Oz, could have been a lot worse.
    Gardai called in all cases took details/statement dusted for prints in break-ins, never to be heard from again.
    Nearly forgot two cases of mindless vandalism had mirrors nicked of scooter in Stillorgan and motorbike was knocked of side stand on the Ballymun Road parked on drive way of a friends house, badly bent gear shifter and handle bars and broke the end of the clutch lever. Cost me over €300 to put right.
    Sometimes wonder what I did in a previous life to get all this bad luck. Hopefully that’s my quota for this life. Of course all this happened in Dublin leading a more peaceful life since I moved down the country last year. Never had any trouble abroad except for one attempted pick pocketing in Bologna by a gypsy. She had baby with her and was begging for money when I felt a hand trying to get in my pocket it appeared she was holding the baby but they were actually held in a sling leaving an arm free to work under cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Parents went to Barcelona, 2 couples with them were robbed, but passively.. one was a tap on the shoulder to cause a distraction, another was asking for directions of some sort, neither were aware of being robbed, only after.

You get it anywhere.. I watched a woman in her 40's with very slender hands, in Dublin, filch about 5 purses on a very packed number 7 bus, she even tried to dip the old biddy she was sitting beside, some nerve. I went up and told the driver, he was barely interested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Amalgam wrote: »
    I watched a woman in her 40's with very slender hands, in Dublin, filch about 5 purses on a very packed number 7 bus, she even tried to dip the old biddy she was sitting beside, some nerve. I went up and told the driver, he was barely interested..

If only there was a certain Citizen around to sort her out...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

My phone when younger, but thats all.I have a shotgun now so if someone tried to rob me i would go Padraig Nally on there ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Once at gunpoint (found out later it was a replica) when working in a petrol station during college, and once had my wallet snatched out of my hand on Parliament street and when I chased and caught him, he pulled a syringe on me.

Both times in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

a person tried to do so once. he was lucky when he fell that he didn't bang his head off the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I was broken into twice (both occasions Dublin)...mugged in McDonalds on Holloway road in London....attempted muggin on a london Bus in the middle of the day which resulted in me bein stabbed as i was being a 14 year old who thought he knew the world. Car's been broken into 3 times (for the sake of whatever was in the boot). Lot of scumbags out there :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I had my purse taken from my bad a couple of times but luckily it happened to be the day before payday so had nothing on me but on Paddy's Day this year a guy approached me outside my apartment block with a box cutter and I had just taken 200 out of my bank, I was raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

If you live in Ireland your being robbed as we speak and have been for years.;)

Apart from this,a girl stole my virginity but when I asked for it back she said she gave it away,they even did a piece on Garda Patrol but to no avail :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Girlfriends handbag was robbed in Barcelona.
    We were in a nice restaurant at a table in the far corner.
    She put her bag down by the wall.
    5 minutes later she was looking for her phone and her hand bag was gone.
    I didnt see any way that anyone could get to that bag without us seeing them - and yet they did.

Cameras in the place werent pointing in our direction when we asked to look at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm off to Barcelona next week and just reading some reviews it appears to be labelled "The Crime City of Europe" not sure how true that it.. I mean you'll get opportunistic pick pockets and the likes everywhere.
    Barcelona's side streets are definitely dodgy after dark. Two mates of mine got mugged on a stag weekend last year. Stunning city other than that, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I've never been robbed myself... but when my mam was in Barelona there last summer she was in a restaurant and she saw a guy lift some ones handbag off of her chair... some guy caught up with him and got it back, I presume he got arrested too.

Even when she was in bars and stuff the staff always told her not to leave her bag on the ground or anything just in case... so I'd imagine there is quite a bit of crime there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i got my wallet stolen once, while in a hospital in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

sam34 wrote: »
    The standards in the health service have reached a new low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Got mugged once about 5 minutes from my house. All they got was my phone that I paid about €40 for so wasn't too bad. Worst part was the fat lip:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Down home a few months ago I had my wallet in my stupidly oversize handbag and zipped up in a pocket.
    I was yapping away after the club and get home in taxi and try to pay to find bag open and wallet and 70eu gone!

Moral of story women: bring a small bag out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wallet was robbed while abroad, phone was robbed here, house was broken into by a little 16 year old scumbag... stuff was returned, no charges were pressed, wasn't my stuff. Funny though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

my purse was nicked out of my bag in the cinema a mont ago.it was the nigth before my college finals started and i had to spend the night ringing all the hotlines to cancel my cards...also had to explain to the head of my course why i hadn't my student cards the next day for my exam. was livid,mainly as there were maybe 7 other people in the cinema at the time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

i was in barca for a day and was the most beautiful city i was ever in...i didnt get robbed or see ant robbings...obviously every city has pickpoters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well, once apparently a couple of scumbags came and robbed my phone off my friends whom i had left my phone with while we were sitting in the park... when i came back after a bit, they were like two scumbags came and took your phone away...
    Hmm... I'm still not sure if i could completely believe them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i spent a week in barca, a majestic city, irish planners should have gone there before all the new developments were allowed, the only place i was robbed was a hotel bar, i spent 3/4 of an hour there a few whiskeys an a couple of beers 50 lids and no recipt:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

sam34 wrote: »

Doctors Fee's these days ... what can i say.

Besides that i haven't been robbed that i can remember

have memories of a father ted episode however :

''did you hear about mrs so and so , she was robbed in the town''

'' oh really, what did they get from her ?''

''no no , you dont understand father, she was robbed''

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my house has just been robbed, caught two scumbags rooting through my sister and mothers handbags, they pegged it, tried catch one, failed called guards, next door neighbour, gp office, fleeced... i really wanna break some faces, not sure but think they got my dads spare car key, thats it tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kingsley16

my push bike got stolen 2 months ago and i've been walking everywhere cause of it!! :mad: i hope the bastard who stole it gets knocked down by a car and i mean that!! :mad:

Advertisement