Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been robbed?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Barcelona is a **** hole.
    Keep you wallet in your front pocket of your jeans and keep everything zipped up tight.
    The worse is at night as the hookers/pickpockets/cvnts target drunken men and pickpocket them while feeling your sack.
    5 of us got robbed out of 7 while over there 2 years ago and I swore I'd never go back. The cops over there didn't give a fcuk either and are extremely corrupt.
    Be very careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    Robbed at gunpoint in 1997 in Finglas. Took wages from the site I was working on.

I am still waiting for the detective to call me to take a statement. They were busy that weekend :(, The Tour de France was on. I could still give them a description if they're interested. Nice handbrake turns by the squad cars when they arrived though. :D

Can't believe you fell for their excuse....the tour de france was 1998.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Funny you mention Barcelona OP because that's the only time I've ever been mugged and I had my wits about me to boot. Was overly cautious and they still stole my phone.
    Was sitting late at night in an empty plaza drinking beer with my friend when 8 guys came strolling by and came over asking for a cigarette. I was sitting down and one asked me to get up and shake his hand. I kept saying no to his insistance and he took my hand and lifted me up to stand up and shook my hand in a friendly manner. they all walked off and when I began walking back to the apartment I noticed my phone was swiped from my pocket.

I wouldn't mind but my wallet only had €15 and no cards yet I had to buy the phone again for €200+. At least they get no use or profit from it.

This should be multiple choice, I was mugged here in Eire and while I was away.

Here By a junkie for €2, but the nice fellow gave it back to me :D

Away For a mobile phone, didn't get that back though (the cheek!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

The house in college got robbed a few months back at the start of the year. They took very little though, and the Gardaí found the stuff (yet to get it back from them though). They didn't catch the guys who did it, oddly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Does loosing ones virginity count?:pac:

only if you were raped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Barcelona is a **** hole.
    Keep you wallet in your front pocket of your jeans and keep everything zipped up tight.
    The worse is at night as the hookers/pickpockets/cvnts target drunken men and pickpocket them while feeling your sack.
    5 of us got robbed out of 7 while over there 2 years ago and I swore I'd never go back. The cops over there didn't give a fcuk either and are extremely corrupt.

+1

The Ramblas are a dangerous place to be at night - you never see a cop there. It's a **** city anyway. They say it's got vibrant night-life every night of the week but that's bollox. The clubs were hopping at the weekend only. As for sight-seeing barca isn't anything special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Yeah we were robbed at home a few times growing up. The worst ever was on Christmas Day in 1995, I was ten and having just found out there is no Santa, I also had my Turbo rebound (racing car) stolen...bastards already got jewellery and stuff, that was just plain nasty!

Never been mugged, thankfully - unless that short lived Direct Debit to Concern counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Ryath wrote: »
    Can't believe how many have never been robbed. I'm feeling very unlucky been broken into twice. Ten years ago in a shared apartment stupid c*** staying on our couch left a window open when he went out, clever thing to do in a ground floor apartment near Benburb street. Lost a weeks wages was paid in cash at the time, disc man, had two cases that held about 30CDs each must have only seen one emptied that but they must have had some taste left one CD Oasis Be Here Now ( It was a present I didn't buy it:o). Six years ago when my girlfriend didn't lock the patio door properly luckily wasn't sleeping well that night went to jacks thought I didn't leave light on in sitting room and my brother must have come home, took me a couple of seconds to realise it wasn't as I hadn't my glasses on. He legged it and I ran after him going up the street after him in just my boxers till I realised I wasn't really appropriately attired to kick the s*** out of the little toe rag. Got my girlfriends hand bag but there was only loose change and bank cards in it.
    Jumped by three guys on the way home from work at about two in the morning. Gave me a few digs then rooted through my pockets got a tenner and my wine opener for some reason didn't notice the backpack over my shoulder which had my phone and wallet. Had left work early and was stone cold sober where I'd normally have been walking home 2 or 3 hours later with a good few pints on me. Left me with two black eyes and was pretty shook up took me a several weeks before I’d walk at night by myself .
    Have had two quite good mountain bikes robbed one on Jervis Street one from underground car park both with decent locks on them.
    Had phone and wallet containing only bank cards taken from coat on back of stool on a night out. Was locked drunk and only noticed them missing in the morning by which time €70 worth of calls were made to the States and Oz, could have been a lot worse.
    Gardai called in all cases took details/statement dusted for prints in break-ins, never to be heard from again.
    Nearly forgot two cases of mindless vandalism had mirrors nicked of scooter in Stillorgan and motorbike was knocked of side stand on the Ballymun Road parked on drive way of a friends house, badly bent gear shifter and handle bars and broke the end of the clutch lever. Cost me over €300 to put right.
    Sometimes wonder what I did in a previous life to get all this bad luck. Hopefully that’s my quota for this life. Of course all this happened in Dublin leading a more peaceful life since I moved down the country last year. Never had any trouble abroad except for one attempted pick pocketing in Bologna by a gypsy. She had baby with her and was begging for money when I felt a hand trying to get in my pocket it appeared she was holding the baby but they were actually held in a sling leaving an arm free to work under cover.

u gotta be the unluckiest man in ireland!...i myself have never been robbed...yet...actualy just rembered their that when i was in school i cycled alot and i come back to my bike after school to see my saddle gone:(...i know its just a saddle but when it happens ya wanna cry lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

galwayrush wrote: »
    Does loosing ones virginity count?:pac:

did she steal it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm off to Barcelona next week and just reading some reviews it appears to be labelled "The Crime City of Europe" not sure how true that it.. I mean you'll get opportunistic pick pockets and the likes everywhere.

Anyways, it reminded me of a few years ago when I got robbed in Spain. Lost about E400 along with all my credit and debit cards.. was a pain but not the end of the world.

So did you ever get robbed or mugged whether it be at home or aboad on holidays?

Is crime that rampant?

Wouldn't worry, crime statistics are amongst the most unreliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Never been robbed, but in a crowded outdoor exhibition in Jakarta, Indonesia, I felt a hand in my jacket pocket. A very hard elbow backwards and a pained gasp suggested that I had connected and the hand disappeared. If I could have turned in the crowd his face would have disappeared as well. Later, telling an Indonesian colleague about it, he remarked that the police in Jakarta are so useless that if the crowd had realised what was going on, they would have lynched the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

+1

The Ramblas are a dangerous place to be at night - you never see a cop there. It's a **** city anyway. They say it's got vibrant night-life every night of the week but that's bollox. The clubs were hopping at the weekend only. As for sight-seeing barca isn't anything special.

fcuk..that's the place we were all robbed...wouldn't mind but I was robbed the first night..warned all the guys and 4 of them were still robbed the following night.

Advertisement