Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimi Hendrix vs...and guitar tones

• 29-05-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I've been going through a big jimi hendrix phase and I think that his playing has stood the test of time, not to mention his songs which imo are classics, it would have been interesting to see where his songwriting went seeing as he was only four years at it and already coming out with classics, really dig the funkier stuff like Freedom, Nightbird and Dolly Dagger. Anywho I've seen Paul Gilbert playing hendrix covers and though Gilbert is a brilliant guitarist and imo the best shredder, he can't replicate the attitude of hendrix's playing, if you can call it that.

Also I think Hendrix is a better guitarist than Jimmy Page, as I don't like Pages tone at all and while Page went into a greater variety of styles I think their guitar playing abilities were relatively equal, also I find that even on record Page is very sloppy. His sound is very pinched. In addition I should point out that while Hendrix covered Hey Joe he practically turned it into a different and way better song. While Pages version of Dazed and Confused is better than the original its not by much and to led zeps discredit they never credited the guy who wrote it, who also went onto to write the Gillette theme.

I find that the gibson guitar sound can sound really ugly unless its treated well. This is what I find with Pages playing and also with say the live performance of all right now by Free, the sound in the latter song is appalling, the sustain is thin. Another example is Richie Blackmore playing one of those red cherry gibsons. The sound is so choked and dry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Hendrix is good but over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 randy lug

I love the les paul sound, espcially Duane Allman's and I also like the early Clapton sound of the bluesbreakers and cream.

The stat is geat too though, Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone is savage. On the song Tin Pan Alley he uses these lipstick pickups to get this sweet popping sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

yeh hes good but very overrated i think.....ever hear gary moore palying red house? sounds better than hendrix if you ask me! i think its just aswell he passed on when he did i dont hink he would have being able to compete with all the bands that came out in the 70's....then again this is just my opinion after all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

it would have been interesting to see where his songwriting went seeing as he was only four years at it and already coming out with classics, really dig the funkier stuff

Do yourself a major favour and get your hands on The KPFA tapes (1970). No singing. Pure funk.

Advertisement