Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

side saddle advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gillbab

Hi,

Do you still have the saddle/habits that you mentioned in your post? And if you do, how would I contact you? I'm new to this boards.ie thing!!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭ladylouise

gillbab

i have none i am looking for them my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There was a thread on side saddle back in March and one poster mentioned that the side saddle association rented saddles. Maybe that could help you initially?

i want to show my horse side saddle .
    can a snaffle bridle be used in the senior side saddle .
    i have Pelham bridle but i am not 100% sure how to use the double reins.
    i was going to buy double bridle with rugby jointed Pelham bit .
    can a Aussie bridle also be used in snaffle bit too?
    can experice side saddle rider help me there because i am not sure what to do which bridle is allowed because i am not very experience

ladylouise wrote: »
    i want to show my horse side saddle .
    can a snaffle bridle be used in the senior side saddle .
    i have Pelham bridle but i am not 100% sure how to use the double reins.
    i was going to buy double bridle with rugby jointed Pelham bit .

For most showing classes you should really use a double bridle or pelham with double reins, not with a D ring. While I have seen people show horses in snaffles, they haven't tended to do very well.

If you don't know how to use the double reins, perhaps you could ask an experienced person you know to help you learn how to use them properly. I've seen so many horse's mouths destroyed by people using double reins who didn't use them correctly.

• Advertisement

there is no body to ask .the riding schools don,t have time to teach the double reins. because there have to many students coming in and out.can Pelham roundings be used the show class.you see i came from the horse racing side of things,so i don,t know too much about showing .all i know is the curb is on the inside and snaffle rein in on out side .with curb having more length then snaffle bit

There are a number of books on advanced riding, using double bridles and/or double reins, which could be of assistance to you. Have a look in some of the saddlery shops, or talk to some instructors to see if they could recommend some books.

can i used a racing bit hunting horse becasue my full size bridle is small?
    oh yeah o breins saddlery cork sell side saddle equiment .
    habits,veils,top hats,side saddle covers,canes,stirrup leathers,stirrups,reins,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Just purely out of interest, have you ever ridden side-saddle before or do you have much experience of side saddle riding? Is just something you wish to try out or venture into in a competitive way? From what i've read here so far, it seems an expensive equestrian sport, just wondering if its something you are going into with no experience or not have even tried before, and if this is the case, is it something you will like or adapt to easily?

MDFM wrote: »
    Just purely out of interest, have you ever ridden side-saddle before or do you have much experience of side saddle riding? Is just something you wish to try out or venture into in a competitive way? From what i've read here so far, it seems an expensive equestrian sport, just wondering if its something you are going into with no experience or not have even tried before, and if this is the case, is it something you will like or adapt to easily?
    some thing i hope to do for long time .i know who rides side saddle in RDS Dublin who might give few lessons.i am just trying to see how i get on and see if like it.

• Advertisement

I use a racing bit on my horse all the time; hunting, showjumping, hunter trialling and some basic flatwork, but if I'm going to do showing or more advanced flat work I'll usu a pelham.

what is the best girth for side saddle beside the 3 fold leather girth or fiitzwillam girth.
    girth on a budget

what the difference between a plain vagabond and plain atherstone girth?
    so what is the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 michicks

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anyone on here knows much about side saddle riding?
    I am looking to get started in it. I have tried to contact the side saddle ass of ireland but never get an answer!:mad: I want to rent a saddle out for the winter to get practice before the showing season starts and also to see if i like before i invest in all the equipment.
    Anyone any tips or suggestions for me or can anyone help me.:confused: I live in kildare and need all advice. I know nothing about it but my horse is an expert, thats all i have going for me at the moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

check out michicks

Advertisement