Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender, acquired ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Butterfly baby

anoisaris wrote: »
    Exactly, completely agree. (yeah copped what you were saying there eventually :o)

I may be Transsexual but I don't think any guy should be forced to live as a girl, what they did to him was wrong on so many levels and no one should have been allowed let that happen to him. As Transsexuals, in general, we make the choice about what gender to live as but he was never given that choice. His gender was forced and even I can't imagine how hard that must have been, we lose a lot of family ties after we transition (and he probably did too when he went back to being male) but that in it's self is a choice we make but he was always a "He", choice was never an option for him. For lack of a better word they mutilated him and totally demasculinized him, his death was inevitable because you can't live without some form of gender identity, at the core it's who we are. I was born male but my Identity is female so I'm comfortable with that, you were born male and your identity is male so you're comfortable too but it must be hell to be male and have parts mutilated and then be forced into a different gender role, I could never relate to that and only imagine how hard that must have been, we (as Tanssexuals) see our gender in a flux, what we are isn't what we always have to be but we have choice...he didn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Lets ignore the fact that you basically posted the link I had previously posted and lets focus on your own ignorance. This forum isn't only for people of a "Gay and Lesbian persusasion", it may not say it in the link but Transsexual and Bisexuals are free to post here too as are straight people. There's no harm in asking a question and that's all the OP did, my reply was an answer to his question whereas yours get increasingly agressive. If all we did was see every question as an attack then I could easily ask how come you just said Gay and Lesbian? I mean there are more sexualities than those two but why just name them? My point is that that's just another phobia, you argue for Gay and Lesbian rights but 1. talk about it like it's a desease, 2. talk about it like it's something that should be pitied and 3. Talk like it's black and white and you either are or aren't gay...life doesn't work like that. Look at yourself before you critize others. He asked his question to learn but you asked your question to argue. Right now you're trying to think of a moralistic reply to make yourself sound like you empathise but, and trust me on this, you don't.

You're next post will have included the words "I'm not gay but I have 7 gay friends" well bravo, well done for you.

I'm gay. :\.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

I may be Transsexual but I don't think any guy should be forced to live as a girl, what they did to him was wrong on so many levels and no one should have been allowed let that happen to him. As Transsexuals, in general, we make the choice about what gender to live as but he was never given that choice. His gender was forced and even I can't imagine how hard that must have been, we lose a lot of family ties after we transition (and he probably did too when he went back to being male) but that in it's self is a choice we make but he was always a "He", choice was never an option for him. For lack of a better word they mutilated him and totally demasculinized him, his death was inevitable because you can't live without some form of gender identity, at the core it's who we are. I was born male but my Identity is female so I'm comfortable with that, you were born male and your identity is male so you're comfortable too but it must be hell to be male and have parts mutilated and then be forced into a different gender role, I could never relate to that and only imagine how hard that must have been, we (as Tanssexuals) see our gender in a flux, what we are isn't what we always have to be but we have choice...he didn't :(

Why have you assumed I was born male or that my identity is male?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

You do realise that's a contradiction? lets assume there was a "cure" now that means there'd have to be a desease so let's call that desease "Homosexuality" or for short "Gay". Now imagine I have a son and he's, let's say, 8 years old and just very emotional, do I assume he's gay and "cure" him?

How do you "cure" a natural progression? it's like saying you can cure a burst appendix. To "cure" homosexuality you'd have to first admit that your child is born gay and when you admit that then all you will be "curing" will be who they are. The person you loved will be gone, who you are left with will be a shadow of who you loved, the "Cure" may take away more than you think.
    Given that the OP was talking about genetically engineering a straight child, your example doesnt really apply.

Frankly, most replies to the OP have latched onto his clumsy language without actually dealing with any of his actual points.

Why have you assumed I was born male or that my identity is male?

Because you are male, it's not an assumption because it's obvious. Prove me wrong and say you are female but I doubt you ever will...

• Advertisement

Because you are male, it's not an assumption because it's obvious. Prove me wrong and say you are female but I doubt you ever will...

What makes it obvious that I am male?

Given that the OP was talking about genetically engineering a straight child, your example doesnt really apply.

Frankly, most replies to the OP have latched onto his clumsy language without actually dealing with any of his actual points.

Genetically engineerig a straight child? like really? how can you genetically
    engineer a straight child not to be gay? I mean seriously their orientation is straight already so you're plan would be to **** with their genetics more just to be sure? While you are ****ing around with their genetics would you dispose of that stupidity gene too? because it sounds like it's inherent..

What makes it obvious that I am male?

It's how you talk. So I was right then and as such my assumptions were based on fact and not actually assumptions at all?

It's how you talk. So I was right then and as such my assumptions were based on fact and not actually assumptions at all?

No, you were wrong and your assumptions were based on just that-assumptions!

I am intrigued please do go on and tell me more about me!? I find this very ironic considering the nature of the topic that you have fairly adamantly and incorrectly assumed my sex.

Genetically engineerig a straight child? like really? how can you genetically
    engineer a straight child not to be gay? I mean seriously their orientation is straight already so you're plan would be to **** with their genetics more just to be sure? While you are ****ing around with their genetics would you dispose of that stupidity gene too? because it sounds like it's inherent..
    OK, I'll bite.

I'll do this nice and slow for you. The OP basically said that if people are born gay, it must be due to a genetic variation. As such, these genes could be identified and subsequently altered to remove the variation in a developing child in which it is found to exist. The result would be a genetically engineered straight child. It is not, as you assert, my plan, nor will I be ****ing around with anyone's genetics. And your last line doesn't even make sense.

• Advertisement

I am intrigued please do go on and tell me more about me!? I find this very ironic considering the nature of the topic that you have fairly adamantly and incorrectly assumed my sex.

You are male, you live in Galway, you work as an engineer but software engineer and your intrests include Golf..want me to continue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You are male, you live in Galway, you work as an engineer but software engineer and your intrests include Golf..want me to continue?

You use google.

You play online poker, and you're not very good.

OK, I'll bite.

I'll do this nice and slow for you. The OP basically said that if people are born gay, it must be due to a genetic variation. As such, these genes could be identified and subsequently altered to remove the variation in a developing child in which it is found to exist. The result would be a genetically engineered straight child. It is not, as you assert, my plan, nor will I be ****ing around with anyone's genetics. And your last line doesn't even make sense.

So what you are saying is, given the choice, you would freely accept the wipe out of any gene that variates from "Straight"? why even post here then? it's obvious from your reply that you see us all as a genetic abnormality so why post? If we sicken you that much that you view us as needing nothing more than a "cure" then why not avoid us? Personally I'd be under the impression that you post to get attention. You post what you think is "controversial" but to be honest you're just another fool that we learn to ignore

Now be under no illusions here love, you're going to reply to this with a big moralistic rant but the truth is I will always have won. because I pointed out that you're nothing but a Bigot and you just proved that yourself too.

Boston wrote: »
    You play online poker, and you're not very good.

Actually he sucks at online poker, anoisaris if you're going to play online poker at least learn the rules. Ahoma high low is a little more difficult than throwing in a $20 bet and hoping for the best.

Boston wrote: »
    You use google.

Well where else would I get my information from? he asked a question and I fullfilled the criteria of that question but what will really **** his head up is if I post his real name too.

So what you are saying is,
    Bless your simple soul. I clearly pointed out that I was outlining what the OP was suggesting, seeing as how you misunderstood his posts. I'm beginning to think that you don't actually read anyones posts, but write responses to imaginary ones instead. I clearly said it was not my plan and that I had no intention of messing with anyone's genes.
    given the choice, you would freely accept the wipe out of any gene that variates from "Straight"? why even post here then? it's obvious from your reply that you see us all as a genetic abnormality so why post? If we sicken you that much that you view us as needing nothing more than a "cure" then why not avoid us? Personally I'd be under the impression that you post to get attention. You post what you think is "controversial" but to be honest you're just another fool that we learn to ignore

Now be under no illusions here love, you're going to reply to this with a big moralistic rant but the truth is I will always have won. because I pointed out that you're nothing but a Bigot and you just proved that yourself too.
    Nice try, sweet cheeks, but its to the back of the class with you. Learn to read, then maybe you could move on to writting.

Bless your simple soul. I clearly pointed out that I was outlining what the OP was suggesting, seeing as how you misunderstood his posts. I'm beginning to think that you don't actually read anyones posts, but write responses to imaginary posts. I clearly said it was not my plan and that I had no intention of messing with anyone's genes.

It seems to me you were very clear about your opinions...
    Nice try, sweet cheeks, but its to the back of the class with you. Learn to read, then maybe you could move on to writting.

"writting"...really would I be the bestest like you is? it's spelt "writing" you fool, if you are going to correct someones grammar at least get your own right first because at least then you won't look like such a twat when I point it out.

As I said, moralistic reply, she can't accept she was beaten so calls me "sweet cheeks" as a form of condension

It seems to me you were very clear about your opinions...
    Really? Perhaps you could point out which part of my post confused you?

"writting"...really would I be the bestest like you is? it's spelt "writing" you fool, if you are going to correct someones grammar at least get your own right first.
    I never corrected your grammer, only your ignorance.

EDIT: Dont know how my reply was 'moralistic'. How is sweet cheeks more condesending than love? And it certainly isn't insulting like bigot or fool. Also I am a man. You're on some losing streak tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

Well where else would I get my information from? he asked a question and I fullfilled the criteria of that question but what will really **** his head up is if I post his real name too.

Wouldn't you banned for doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

jady88 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you banned for doing that?
    Well we can hope for it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

I don't hope for a banning only that they will realize their mistake and stop. Having suffered an unfair banning myself I do not wish it on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

jady88 wrote: »
    I don't hope for a banning only that they will realize their mistake and stop. Having suffered an unfair banning myself I do not wish it on anyone.
    I wouldn't wish an unfair banning on anyone either, some people deserve to be banned though.

Ha ha I just found "mr" anoisaris too and let's just say he is nearer my parents age than mine among some other slight differences like em....... all of them??? Did it not occur to you that a woman that posts about gender/ gay marriage/ lesbian issues etc on a gay and lesbian forum and an old man on a dating site might different people-did it not occur to you that maybe both don't add up to be the same anoisaris perhaps!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

It saddens me when a straight person comes into this section of the forum, asks a question (albeit worded controversially) and is then met with a wall of offended, defensive people.
    You'd swear from reading this thread that every person who is not LGBT is anti-LGBT.

It saddens me when a straight person comes into this section of the forum, asks a question (albeit worded controversially) and is then met with a wall of offended, defensive people.
    You'd swear from reading this thread that every person who is not LGBT is anti-LGBT.

The OPs original post was very muddled, and its hard to follow exactly what his arguments are. We're under absolutely no obligation to defend ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think the OP questions where rather straight forward, now perhaps some people didn't like what they saw as loaded questions.

I think the OP questions where rather straight forward, now perhaps some people didn't like what they saw as loaded questions.

Pretty much.

I think if the OP had posted in a forum for tall/highly intelligent/red haired people with comments suggesting that a tall/highly intelligent/red haired gene should be eradicated to prevent a child being bullied well tall/intelligent/red haired people would be fairly defensive regardless of whether the OP was tall/higly intelligent/had red hair himself or not but they would wonder was he speaking from his own experience of being bullied due to his height/intelligence/hair colour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think if the OP had posted in a forum for tall/highly intelligent/red haired people with comments suggesting that a tall/highly intelligent/red haired gene should be eradicated to prevent a child being bullied well tall/intelligent/red haired people would be fairly defensive regardless of whether the OP was tall/higly intelligent/had red hair himself or not but they would wonder was he speaking from his own experience of being bullied due to his height/intelligence/hair colour!

Perhaps you'd care to show me where exactly the in the OP this was explicitly stated ? I for the life of me don't see it.

They asked a question and a few people played the victim card :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't like the OPs posting style as I find it both difficult to read and encumber by necessary comments with don't address the points at hand. That said I think he/she was simply challenging us to offer counter arguments. Kinda like a bad case of "But why, but why, but why" syndrome.

Advertisement