Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender, acquired ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

Perhaps you'd care to show me where exactly the in the OP this was explicitly stated ? I for the life of me don't see it.

They asked a question and a few people played the victim card :rolleyes:

On the first page-"It seems pretty obvious to me why a parent would want to protect their children from years of discrimination and harship at the hands of their peers if they had the ability to do so. Not to administer the treatment or even turn their children homosexual would be a very selfish thing for a parent who wants to look "cool" or "PC" ."

(explicitly stated by the OP not in the OP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

tbh I see nothing wrong with that.

Basically all he's saying is that given the choice most parents will attempt to ensure the best for their child. Can't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

tbh I see nothing wrong with that.

Basically all he's saying is that given the choice most parents will attempt to ensure the best for their child. Can't see the problem.

People get angry with that attitude because it implies there's something wrong with being gay while there isn't. The only problem is that some people are too ignorant to realize that. If / when society learns to resolve this misconception there will be no need for a parent to make this choice.

azezil wrote: »
    People get angry with that attitude because it implies there's something wrong with being gay while there isn't. The only problem is that some people are too ignorant to realize that. If / when society learns to resolve this misconception there will be no need for a parent to make this choice.

I'd agree with you, but the fact is society isn't perfect and its understandable if some people would wish to avoid the issues that it may bring.

It’s really all just hypothetical musings though and not really one which warrants getting defensive (about other posters, not you) imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

I find a lot of the postings on here quite offensive .With regards to the comment/insinuation that if parents had a choice to change a childs sexuality as it would be easier for the child growing up ect etc What a load of TOSH ....
    Firstly you are BORN gay its that simple as a gay man I know this ,hetrosexual people have no clue about it and have no right to sa otherwise...
    Secondly if as its claimed on here that it would be better for a child growing up not being gay ect ect ,,,Kids are bullied ridiculed and made fun of on a daily basis ,,,"you're gay " ect ,,,which is a terrible thing for a kid growing up to be called as it implies there is something wrong with being gay ,,,
    BUT the bullies and others who call another gay and belittle a kid only gets his/her ideas ,and prejuices from usually their own parents ...
    Just look at some of you on here for example ,,,,
    SHAME on you all ........

• Advertisement

oisindoyle wrote: »
    I find a lot of the postings on here quite offensive .
    Welcome to the internet.
    Firstly you are BORN gay its that simple as a gay man I know this ,hetrosexual people have no clue about it and have no right to sa otherwise...
    I'm curious, what traits exactly is it that homosexuals have in your view that prevents heterosexuals from understanding or empathising with them ?

Welcome to the internet.

I'm curious, what traits exactly is it that homosexuals have in your view that prevents heterosexuals from understanding or empathising with them ?

A hetrosexaul is usually the one who askes stupid offensive questions ,,,"are you born gay " "if theres a cure for being gay would you get it " ,,," its a choice "",,,,"I know someone who was gay now they are straight" "ita not normal" ,,,"if parents had a choice ect ect ect ,,rubbish rubbish offensive stupid comments from hetros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

A hetrosexaul is usually the one who askes stupid offensive questions ,,,"are you born gay " "if theres a cure for being gay would you get it " ,,," its a choice "",,,,"I know someone who was gay now they are straight" "ita not normal" ,,,"if parents had a choice ect ect ect ,,rubbish rubbish offensive stupid comments from hetros

so...its ok to generalize about "hetros" and what they all say, but its offensive to even *ask* a homosexual if they feel they were born gay?

as it happens, I find *your* post offensive.

hot2def wrote: »
    so...its ok to generalize about "hetros" and what they all say, but its offensive to even *ask* a homosexual if they feel they were born gay? Theyre usually the ones who come up with this tripe and yes it is offensive and quite ignorant to ask a gay person ,were they born gay ....

as it happens, I find *your* post offensive.
    Whats new!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

don't be daft.

"They" are infinitely more likely to have questions about it, aren't they?

I've personally had more offensive comments from gay people about my sexuality than I have ever had from straight peope. Shall I blame them all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

This thread is weird.

So unless you're staying all heterosexuals are intellectually impaired, why is it again that heterosexuals are unable to understand the homosexual position ( no pun intended :D ).

I mean on one hand you're saying "hetrosexual people have no clue about it" and then you're complaining that they're asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yes so if you are born gay [and we aren't even certain of that yet.] it must be due to some genetic variation, yes ?
    Secondly if as its claimed on here that it would be better for a child growing up not being gay ect ect ,,,Kids are bullied ridiculed and made fun of on a daily basis ,,,"you're gay " ect ,,,which is a terrible thing for a kid growing up to be called as it implies there is something wrong with being gay ,,,
    BUT the bullies and others who call another gay and belittle a kid only gets his/her ideas ,and prejuices from usually their own parents ...
    Yes, and they got it from their parents who got it from their parents who got it from their parents etc. It's human nature to ridicule those that are different to the group, an old evolutionary trait we picked up to make sure the status quo is maintained. For obvious reasons Homosexuality never was and never will be the status quo.
    Just look at some of you on here for example ,,,,
    SHAME on you all ........
    Yes, same on me for having an opinion different then yours, bad Frosty.
    Yes, stupid Hetros for trying to understand a condition that affects minorities in our society, bad Hetros.
    This thread is weird.
    Thank you for that, very constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

Ah here I heard the whole "if you could take a tablet to turn you straight would you?" only ever from other gay people (and sadly a fair few would have answered yes to that same question) and never would a straight friend dream of asking that.

And while I might have had straight friends tell me "you don't look gay!" I hear it way bloody more from other gay people.

As for the are you born gay sure that's a question I have asked myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

I think someone should start a thread here about how and/or when they first began to realise they were gay. (this IS the gay/lesbian/bi section so I dont think it would be appropriate to ask when did people realise they were straight).

I dont think some of the threads here are very constructive (including this one) because at the end of the day alot of hetrosexual people are ignorant of homosexuality which in turn leads to the discrimination we have in this country. People need to learn and who better to teach what its like to be gay than gay people?? And NO I dont think I am being offensive saying this because people do need information. Or maybe things have changed in the last 20 years that we dont need to educate about different sexualities??

I was straight and now I am gay. (And I didnt take any pills either!)
    I know if I lived in a society that was less ignorant to different sexualities I wouldnt have been as confused as I was or have gone through the years of torture I did go through to get where I am now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭smileykey

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Lol no I'm not gay, but my friend is and had a pretty tough time of it with parents, class mates etc.
    I started thinking wouldn't it be good to have a way to reverse genetic variation that causes Homosexuality, or would it be morally right to do so.
    Thats why I started this thread.

So if someone is subject to racist abuse the obvious way to try to save future generations would not be to educate people and try to reduce ignorance and bigatory, it would be to genetically modify skin colour - i see

Also I don't think many trans people can say that they consciously modified their gender identity - some may modify their body but not their gender, the same "are they born that way or does it develop" question can be asked in relation to trans people so your first question makes no sense.

As for your second question why do you assosiate homosexuality with negative experiences? Do you view same sex attraction as a negative thing perhaps? Also what difference does it make if someone becomes gay or just is gay, or if someone choses it or not? does that somehow effect how people will see homosexuality?

Why fix something that isn't broken? Why cure homosexuality?

Advertisement