Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing subjects: Physics

Options
  • 30-05-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi! Choosing subjects at school. I'm doing Higher Level Maths for the JC but I have to say that I'm struggling. Anyway, I was thinking of doing Physics, as I'm interested in it, but I'm not sure if I'm able for it, especially since I don't intend to do Higher Maths for Leaving. Any help would be appreciated!
    -Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Hi! Choosing subjects at school. I'm doing Higher Level Maths for the JC but I have to say that I'm struggling. Anyway, I was thinking of doing Physics, as I'm interested in it, but I'm not sure if I'm able for it, especially since I don't intend to do Higher Maths for Leaving. Any help would be appreciated!
    -Paul
    i am doing physics and struggling. i can learn the definitions and the experiments but the maths questions in it are very hard imo.. i did honours maths for the jc and got a B no bother... i was doing higher lc maths until end of 5th yr and i just dont even attempt the questions in physics anymore... to be honest you need to be very mathsy if you want to do well in physics, and unless you really love the subject i wouldn take it on unless:
    your doing science/engineering in college
    really good at maths/applied maths and very into science!
    not to put you off, but if your going for a point building subject physics is not the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

IMO, the maths content in Physics isn't too bad. Certainly nowhere near the level of HL Maths, anyway. If you're interested in Physics I'd say give it a go, don't be put off by people saying it's really mathsy - okay there's more maths than in say Biology, but a lot of it just come down to using formulae.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i am doing physics and struggling. i can learn the definitions and the experiments but the maths questions in it are very hard imo.. i did honours maths for the jc and got a B no bother... i was doing higher lc maths until end of 5th yr and i just dont even attempt the questions in physics anymore... to be honest you need to be very mathsy if you want to do well in physics, and unless you really love the subject i wouldn take it on unless:
    your doing science/engineering in college
    really good at maths/applied maths and very into science!
    not to put you off, but if your going for a point building subject physics is not the way to go!

I'm sorry, but that is complete and utter bullshít!

Maths in Physics is not difficult at all! If is serious putting numbers into a formula, maybe rearrange the formula a bit, but that is all.

I do not do HL Maths, nor did I ever do it, so my Maths in general isnt incredibly strong. But saying the Maths is very hard is an absolute hyperbole.

Edit:Curse you ninja PFM........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

The maths is very easy. Just basic algebra, using formulae and rearranging equations. Not challenging at all and there is not a lot of thinking involved. There are a few definitions which aren't hard to remember. Then there's the experiments, which aren't any harder than your JC science experiments.

Overall, it's not one of the worst leaving cert subjects. In fact, I consider it the best. But I'm biased as it's my favourite subject! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

is the teacher in your school good? If you've a bad teacher, it might be a tough subject to do

the maths itself in Physics is not hard at all. Like, the actual working out of stuff isn't tough. It's generally the visualising of the problem, and knowing (/remembering!) what formula to use. For most Physics maths problems, the first line or two of the problem is the hardest. After that it's generally basic algebra and the rearranging of the equation.

Also, if you like Physics in JC, that doesn't neccessarily mean you'll like in LC. Generally speaking, most of the stuff in JC Science is BS and doesn't serve as too much of a grounding for LC. You're thought the subject from scratch in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sovietchimp

So if I'd be interested in giving it a go would I need Higher Maths?

No, not at all.

Just make sure you're willing to practice a bit.

No, definitely not. The maths in it isn't any harder than Junior Cert. higher level (it isn't even as hard in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

well maybe ye all have good physics teachers, our one left for 5 months in 6th year, 13 out of 20 failed it in the pre and in our school 6th years are asked bout their subject choices when they finish up and only 8 out of 20 said they would do it again if they had the choice. learning off definitions/experiments is grand, but the amount of formulae can be daunting and the biggest problem imo is knowing which formula to apply to which question, obviouslyy anyone can put some figures into a formula and work it out but physics aint that cut and dry.

well maybe ye all have good physics teachers, our one left for 5 months in 6th year, 13 out of 20 failed it in the pre and in our school 6th years are asked bout their subject choices when they finish up and only 8 out of 20 said they would do it again if they had the choice.

That's strange. I've always thought of it as the easier of the three sciences (granted I don't do biology). I think it's easier because there's far less information to remember than, say, chemistry - and certainly biology.

I suppose if you're not naturally interested in the subject it does really depend on your teacher, and if yours was missing for some time that probably explains your aversion to the subject.
    learning off definitions/experiments is grand, but the amount of formulae can be daunting

If you're doing electricity, yes! Far too many formulae in that section - that's why I'm leaving it out. Other sections aren't so bad. I've only 20 or so formulae to know.
    and the biggest problem imo is knowing which formula to apply to which question, obviouslyy anyone can put some figures into a formula and work it out but physics aint that cut and dry.

90% of the questions are very clear cut though: only subbing some values into some formulae. But, every year there is at least one tricky question on the paper; they're the ones that aren't so cut and dry in my opinion.

But, I think saying that you don't even attempt the questions in physics anymore is being a bit dramatic. They really aren't that bad OP.

• Advertisement

If you're doing electricity, yes! Far too many formulae in that section - that's why I'm leaving it out. Other sections aren't so bad. I've only 20 or so formulae to know.

Out of curiousity, are you doing magnetism/electromagnetic induction?

I'd sell my granny if I could leave it out!

I have it covered by I doubt I'll be answering on it, just if I'm stuck!

I'm doing mechanics, heat; sound, light and waves, and all of modern. (Most experiments too).

There's no real need to do electricity/magnetism, because even if you don't do it, you're usually only limited from answering at most 2 questions in Section B. There are 8 questions in B isn't there? And you've to answer 5, so not covering elec/mag still gives you at worst a 5/6 choice.

I have it covered by I doubt I'll be answering on it, just if I'm stuck!

I'm doing mechanics, heat; sound, light and waves, and all of modern. (Most experiments too).

There's no real need to do electricity/magnetism, because even if you don't do it, you're usually only limited from answering at most 2 questions in Section B. There are 8 questions in B isn't there? And you've to answer 5, so not covering elec/mag still gives you at worst a 5/6 choice.

Weekend before Physics is gonna be fun!

I think I'll do Joule's Law and a few other electricity exps, theyre pretty handy. Wouldnt mind answering the four of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Pick the subjects you're best at.
    Don't pick them cause you think you'll need them for third level, because you probably won't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sovietchimp

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna have a long hard think about it, but I'll probably give it a go. You don't know until you've tried do you?
    Cheers,
    -Paul

Advertisement