Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why would you call your daughter 'Toireasa'?

Options
  • 30-05-2009 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

is it some variation of Therese or Teresa, or is it because your family name is Ferris which is such an Anglo and Cromwellian non Gaelic name......you have to go hardcore

Is maith liom teanga an Gael but this name Toireasa.... it was just a mistake, a moment of madness to last a lifetime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Politics? - don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

is it some variation of Therese or Teresa, or is it because your family name is Ferris which is such an Anglo and Cromwellian non Gaelic name......you have to go hardcore

Is maith liom teanga an Gael but this name Toireasa.... it was just a mistake, a moment of madness to last a lifetime

I wouldn't.

I'd also try to prevent my daughter from flashing her knickers on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes it is Teresa and I know at least two people with that name, none of whom are "hardcore". It's usually pronounced "trasa". That said, I fail to see the connection between the candidate's leanings and their name. Is there a political point here?

I wouldn't.

I'd also try to prevent my daughter from flashing her knickers on the telly.

You cannot prevent an adult doing what they want or do you want to control your children until you die?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why would you call your daughter elaine

it is cause she was conceived between 2 houses

or

Gail, because of the howling wind

or

Theresa as in theresa green and logger brown

Riviting stuff I must say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

might be that this person may become elected and then 1000's of eurocrats would have to struggle with this troubling name,

was an error made and and instead of going for Trasa....maybe a bad phone line to portloise prison at the time where Martin in was after getting caught freeing ireland....

europe might think Irish banks, Lisbon vote, Irish property chancers, Irish clerical child rapists and now this name..

its the last straw

basta
    genug
    assez already

Ireland you are out

there is real political hazard here....

oh and freedom of expression is said to be a cornerstone of democracy even if this democracy is closer to Burma right now than Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What a silly thread, one would think you've been smoking golden brown...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why would anyone call their son Biffo?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is the most feeble trolling attempt I've possibly ever seen.

might be that this person may become elected and then 1000's of eurocrats would have to struggle with this troubling name,

You mean they don't struggle with the hundreds of foreign language names in the European Parliament at the moment?

• Advertisement

You mean they don't struggle with the hundreds of foreign language names in the European Parliament at the moment?

Just the one name, apparently.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I'd say you'd probably do it as a mark of deep respect for a Spanish heroine of the Counter-Reformation and her devout Holy Roman Catholicism. Making it sound Irish changes nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

was an error made and and instead of going for Trasa....maybe a bad phone line to portloise prison at the time where Martin in was after getting caught freeing ireland....

europe might think Irish banks, Lisbon vote, Irish property chancers, Irish clerical child rapists and now this name..

its the last straw

basta
    genug
    assez already

Ireland you are out

there is real political hazard here....

oh and freedom of expression is said to be a cornerstone of democracy even if this democracy is closer to Burma right now than Canada

Well done golden brown you have managed to bring after hours into politics!

This is the reason I discuss less and less politics on this forum!!!!

Well done golden brown you have managed to bring after hours into politics!

This is the reason I discuss less and less politics on this forum!!!!

It was in AH, but it got dumped in here, instead of being dumped on full stop.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's an Irish name (it comes from the Irish for "strong", not that really matters and not that I know what my own Irish name directly translates as, as opposed to what it's the equivalent of).

I fail to see the interest or the issue. It's not exactly up there with calling your child Zowie or Moon Unit.

Is this a trolling attempt? Probably not but who cares. Is it a silly thread? Yes. Locked.

Accusations of trolling are specifically prohibited by the charter as those who have read it will know. The procedure is to report, not to accuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement