Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best weed control method for new beds.

Options
  • 30-05-2009 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've recently had some planting done as part of a landscape project and want some advice on how best to control weeds in the new beds.

Soil from the old garden (which was weed infested) was used in the beds and I'm sure the weeds are only waiting to shoot up in this spell of good weather. My original plan was to use mypex and mulch and just leave the plants exposed but the landscaper says that this would "sour" the soil and that it is best to leave the soil exposed and just hoe the beds once a week to kill the weeds.

I'm all for the minimum amount of gardening work as I already spend 3 hours a week just cutting the grass and with 4 kids to mind, time is limited enough as it is.

So do I follow his advice or can I go ahead with the mypex and or mulch solution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've just built some raised beds and I'm putting down decorative bark. This has two advantages - it's looks good, and it acts as a weedblock. It's not doing to stop all weeds growing (nothing will do that) but it will stop a lot of them. And it's organic material so no harm to the soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

My original plan was to use mypex and mulch and just leave the plants exposed but the landscaper says that this would "sour" the soil and that it is best to leave the soil exposed and just hoe the beds once a week to kill the weeds.

So do I follow his advice or can I go ahead with the mypex and or mulch solution.

The soil will only go "sour" if the mypex or other make of weed barrier is not permeable, it must let some air and water through, most of them are. If you use JUST bark mulch a certain amount of weeds will come through. Using a weed barrier with mulch on top is your best solution although some weeds do come through although they are easier to pull out.

Although if your garden is in a very windy site you can lose mulch during the windier times. If you have dogs or other animals that love rolling in it, it also gets lost! Usually a few bags to top up each year is sufficient though.

:)

Advertisement