Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Civic Photoshoot C&C

• 30-05-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Had my first "serious" car shoot there thursday. Thanks to projectgtr for letting me photograph his lovely civic :)

Right. Looking for the harshest C&C you can possibly give. GO!

3576681161_5a5021df9c_b.jpg

3577426822_86ecea115e_b.jpg

3577305752_4b0204abb7_b.jpg

3576497637_ae056e782c_b.jpg

3576159885_75b9665f29_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Photography is excellent, but the ##### car is wrong WRONG wrong WRONG wrong :confused:
    I really like the decent processing. Having good car, I'd be delighted to have pictures like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

No offence but you 350Z one's are better,i think the location isn't right it's too dark the over exposed windows of the car park are distacting.
    But that's just my opinion!

If you could do it again i'd go for an outdoor location like an abandoned industrial estate or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tbh, Rich, Black cars are like mirrors. That was even with a circ. pl on.... Taking one outside....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Get lower, get closer, get wider, get brighter :)

Wouldn't be a fan of the selective saturation, but the location does work imo. You just need to blow out the background even more. The halo's from possible tone mapping look a bit 'bleugh', I'd advise against tone mapping, if you're looking to incorporate different exposures, then get very subtle, and only very small parts of the image. Even altering the shadows gives the car a slight 'levitation effect'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

get brighter smile.gif
    +1
    The center of attraction, the car, ...well........isn't !! ie. it doesn't stand out and grab you. No 2 is the best angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Firstly get rid of the number plate on the rear, thats how there scammed and copied and used in robberys and other criminal 'activities', i know the chances are remote but i've seen it happen.

Secondly the car really needs to be a bit brighter, it needs to stand out better.

The desaturation of the background really works though, well done :)

I'm not a fan of the different alloys on the front and the back, but thats not anythin to do with the photo :):-):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Right. Looking for the harshest C&C you can possibly give. GO!

#1 Is too dark and yes I know black is harder to photograph!
    #2 Same as #1
    #3 I like! Pity you couldn't have all the brick wall in the background as the sky/girder is distracting.
    #4 Dark and as all the others the signature is way too big and distracting.
    #5 This one came out really well and thats suprising given the bit of sun burnout.

Oh yeah, 2 diff types of alloys is ghey.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

No 3 is your strongest imo ( I love the detail in the brakes), no 5 would be savage but the backlighting is a bit distracting. Overall a good job on reducing reflections, black cars are such a pain! I like your colour popping too, a similar style to Paddy McGrath.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup number three for me too.

absolutely love how the PP brings out the tarmac texture and the threads in the tyres.

good work, now get some shoots with a better car.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Get lower, get closer, get wider, get brighter :)
    Was as low and close as I could get under the circumstances. Was trying to get certain angles tbh, but avoid distortion at the wide end of the lens. As for getting brighter...it's a black car!? You shine light onto it, and, well, you get white back. I really don't think I could have got it any brighter... but maybe that's just me being crap or making excuses...
    Wouldn't be a fan of the selective saturation
    Ah you prefer green, cyan and magenta walls? :D
    landyman wrote: »
    Firstly get rid of the number plate on the rear, thats how there scammed and copied and used in robberys and other criminal 'activities', i know the chances are remote but i've seen it happen.
    Ah yeah, I know. I just said i'd leave it for this one.

I'm not a fan of the different alloys on the front and the back, but thats not anythin to do with the photo :):-):)
    Well actually, projectgtr offered to change them back to the original alloys on the back (tyres were bald from a track day :D) but I said it's grand.
    #1 Is too dark and yes I know black is harder to photograph!
    #2 Same as #1
    I suggest you buy a monitor calibration tool. You buy enough L glass so you can certainly afford one! :) they honestly look fine to me, on 3 different screens.

Anywho. Thanks for the C&C guys :) Appreciate it. I'm just back from Prodrift Punchestown day one, and I'm covered in rubber from head to toe, and even a little sunburned. More on this, after a short intermission :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Was as low and close as I could get under the circumstances. Was trying to get certain angles tbh, but avoid distortion at the wide end of the lens. As for getting brighter...it's a black car!? You shine light onto it, and, well, you get white back. I really don't think I could have got it any brighter... but maybe that's just me being crap or making excuses...
    You can always get lower and closer - Noone minds if you're lying on the ground :)

And noone minds a bit of distortion neither! So what if it's black, the background isn't! And you're losing that bit of detail in your blacks, which defeats some of the purpose of tone mapping in the first place ;)
    Ah you prefer green, cyan and magenta walls? :D
    I do indeed.
    I suggest you buy a monitor calibration tool. You buy enough L glass so you can certainly afford one! :) they honestly look fine to me, on 3 different screens.
    These screens beg to differ :)
    Anywho. Thanks for the C&C guys :) Appreciate it. I'm just back from Prodrift Punchestown day one, and I'm covered in rubber from head to toe, and even a little sunburned. More on this, after a short intermission :pac:

Gimps day out, aye?

You're too young for that kinky stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Make it look more stylish and less photoshopped.. its seriously way to photoshopped imo just looks like you added an effect and left it! Now I know nothing about shooting cars but I enjoy look at car photography(if there is such a thing) and its much nicer when its not AS photoshopped.. Just looks really clean and slick.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Fajitas! wrote: »
    You can always get lower and closer - Noone minds if you're lying on the ground :)
    Yeah, I know. :)

And you're losing that bit of detail in your blacks, which defeats some of the purpose of tone mapping in the first place ;)
    Pfft...I just did it to see how it'd turn out! I liked it :D
    I do indeed.
    LSD...
    These screens beg to differ :)
    Blergh :p
    Gimps day out, aye?

You're too young for that kinky stuff.
    Lol, too young? For rubber kinky? NEVAR! Nah, myself, Ken, Paddy and Perfect fit all had great fun in the rubber.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Lol, too young? For rubber kinky? NEVAR! Nah, myself, Ken, Paddy and Perfect fit all had great fun in the rubber.:pac:

That just sounds oh so wrong! :pac:I'm still pulling rubber off me:pac::pac::pac:

kensutz wrote: »
    That just sounds oh so wrong! :pac:I'm still pulling rubber off me:pac::pac::pac:

I think I've some rubber stuck in my teeth :o :pac:

You left early enough ken! The real fun only began after....

Anyway, I've roughly 1200 photos to go through...oh joy.

Had to get back down to Waterford in time. Just barely made it, I have 1131 to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Great shots considering the subject !!!
    3 is my fav.

Just a tip, Scrub out the reg number. I know it is only a 95 reg but you never know how it could be used without you knowing.

Had to get back down to Waterford in time. Just barely made it, I have 1131 to go through.

Hah. Fair play to you mate. Was nice to meet you and erm...feel, well, showed up by that massive lens :p

It finished up around 8:30 or so, and that was after cutting out a few things... There was only myself and another 'tog there for the pro top 16 lol.

You going again tomorrow Ken?

I can't! I'm busy all day tomorrow from 10-3. Well worth heading up today just to hear "Well that's an e-penis++"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think I've some rubber stuck in my teeth :o :pac:
    There's a first time for everything ... oh, wait! >_>

:pac:
    I can't! I'm busy all day tomorrow from 10-3. Well worth heading up today just to hear "Well that's an e-penis++"
    He actually admitted someone else had a bigger one?! :eek:

You have no idea how much of how big a compliment that is Ken! :D

An innocent day descends into smut talk!! :mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

nice to actually see the pictures:rolleyes:, turned out well imo would like to see the rest, any chance i could see some unprocessed? have a shoot coming up soon will have the wheels on right. my opinion on shooting a black car is keep it dark the light is just a no go imo personally i keeep it to night shots or underground shots

unprocessed heres how my car looks and yeah that is temple bar
    TEMPLEBAR.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

i like the detail on the car but the background seems clutterd. Distracts from the subject imo.

Old thread back from the dead :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I remember this from first time round, lol

In my own experience i find shots usually turn out a lot better with a black car when you choose a location with lots of coloured lighting.
    I cant find the pic at the moment but i got a nice E36 BMW photo with the neon of a takaways lighting in it and it came out very well.

I like the composition of the first lot of pics there but i think its lacking something to make it pop.
    Some colour and positioning the car so that the available light spans along the angular bits like the line above the door handle would make these area's stand out a little more and cancel out some of the blackness. :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Old thread back from the dead :pac:
    Maybe back from the dead for you but its my car and i never seen the pictures at all till a mate done a search and found the pictures, ive been looking forward to seeing these for a while
    Masada wrote: »
    I remember this from first time round, lol

In my own experience i find shots usually turn out a lot better with a black car when you choose a location with lots of coloured lighting.
    I cant find the pic at the moment but i got a nice E36 BMW photo with the neon of a takaways lighting in it and it came out very well.

I like the composition of the first lot of pics there but i think its lacking something to make it pop.
    Some colour and positioning the car so that the available light spans along the angular bits like the line above the door handle would make these area's stand out a little more and cancel out some of the blackness. :)

yeah i agree i tried to do a shoot in a very colourfull area but i nearly got arested for the location :mad: coloured lghts do help but i think black cars are suited to gritty undeground style shoots but thats just my opinion, ive shot my car alot as i try to learn from doing shoots on it, here is how ive got on, not to take away from calums pictures at all

playing with coloured lights
    CARANDBOAT.jpg
    carunderlights.jpg

underground (processed)
    PARKINGSHOT.jpg

night-time parking lot shot
    minedone.jpg

projectgtr wrote: »
    Maybe back from the dead for you but its my car and i never seen the pictures at all till a mate done a search and found the pictures, ive been looking forward to seeing these for a while

yeah i agree i tried to do a shoot in a very colourfull area but i nearly got arested for the location :mad: coloured lghts do help but i think black cars are suited to gritty undeground style shoots but thats just my opinion, ive shot my car alot as i try to learn from doing shoots on it, here is how ive got on, not to take away from calums pictures at all

So he shot your car but didn't tell you :confused:

i knew he shot my car but he never told me about posting the photos.!

• Advertisement

Much better use of light in third and forth ones there. :) the Yellow in the third one really makes it and thats what i meant by needing more colour. it show the image as being colour instead of being mistaken for a BW shot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

You forgot to scramble the number plate in the 2nd one above....

lol., nicely spotted.

Its unusual to see an EK civic on a 95 plate actually,

You forgot to scramble the number plate in the 2nd one above....
    thanks ill sort that in a min ;)
    Masada wrote: »
    lol., nicely spotted.

Its unusual to see an EK civic on a 95 plate actually,

yeah she was produced in december 95 so she was one of the first EKs to roll of the lines, shes a very clean example inside and out, should be doing a couple of internal shots for the next shoot should be posted up here as im starting to get the hang of my DSLR, so ill proberbl,y be posting here more often ;)

I like the blurry effect on your number plate, I also like the non blurry effects on your number plate.
    I did a check on your number plate while I was at it and did you by any chance kill a Seagull when you were racing on Dollymount beach on the 25/7/09?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I really don't like these pictures. something about them.

I like the "underground (processed)" one, but it needs to be straightened.
    The others don't do if for me as car shots. Can't put my finger on it, but i think its because the car is lost in the background - in the "playing with coloured lights" two anyways

I like the blurry effect on your number plate, I also like the non blurry effects on your number plate.
    I did a check on your number plate while I was at it and did you by any chance kill a Seagull when you were racing on Dollymount beach on the 25/7/09?
    You do know that missuse of garda resources is an offence :rolleyes: No i have never hit anything in my car and it has never been near dollymount beach, do i race? yeah i sure do its what i build my car for but i keep it to the track and strip
    Tallon wrote: »
    I really don't like these pictures. something about them.
    thats nice
    I like the "underground (processed)" one, but it needs to be straightened.
    The others don't do if for me as car shots. Can't put my finger on it, but i think its because the car is lost in the background - in the "playing with coloured lights" two anyways

i can see what you mean allright about being lost in the background, theres alot that takes you eye away from the car, TBH this was one of my first ever shoots and one of my first times using a DSLR so hopefully i can only improve. as for the processed shot yeah i noticed the angle of the picture but again im only learning to use photoshop and i wasnt able to crop it as i wanted to straighted the image :o

Now it would be nice to see if challengemaster has any more shots he is willing to share

:bitten:

:bitten:

ah you know im just joking :P

• Advertisement

You took the bait not me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Bit O.T., but whats the problem with not blurring out number plates? Its not exactly private information. If i wanted a valid number plate no. to commit a crime in, I could easily just get one off the street.

Advertisement