Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Revo

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Does the £150 one have the nvidia gpu and hdmi (probably not but a man can dream)? If so you've got a pretty sweet ass htpc for a good price.

Edit: Should have finished reading the links. £180 and you get hdmi and the nvidia gpu. Happy days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does the £150 one have the nvidia gpu and hdmi (probably not but a man can dream)? If so you've got a pretty sweet ass htpc for a good price.

Edit: Should have finished reading the links. £180 and you get hdmi and the nvidia gpu. Happy days.

The obvious one to go for is the base model with HDMI out- and upgrade the RAM, SSD and O/S yourself. The bios supposedly recognises 4Gb (it doesn't have the 2Gb limitation of netbooks)- and its a bog standard laptop SATA drive.......

Still haven't found it online though....... They did say June- perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Does the bundled linux OS support GPU video acceleration?

Does the bundled linux OS support GPU video acceleration?

You need to download the latest nVidia drivers- but yes is the answer.

Hey- just got to look at them on the aceroutlet website- all of the models- incl. the £150 one have the nVidia GPU and HDMI ports......

Its £150 for HDMI, 1Gb RAM, 8Gb SSD and Linux
    Its £230 for HDMI, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD and Vista Home Premium.....

Thing to do is probably hang on until mid July when you can get them with a Windows 7 upgrade cert..... :D
    According to a Reg article here the 8Gb SSD Linux version is only temp- it will be upgraded to a 160Gb HDD version @ the same price as soon as they use up their stock of 8Gb SSDs?

Best of all- its Ubuntu it ships with- not the poxy Linpus distro that was on the early versions of the Aspire. Its June and I already know what my Christmas pressie is going to be!

This is an excellent development.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smccarrick wrote: »
    Hey- just got to look at them on the aceroutlet website- all of the models- incl. the £150 one have the nVidia GPU and HDMI ports......

Its £150 for HDMI, 1Gb RAM, 8Gb SSD and Linux
    Its £230 for HDMI, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD and Vista Home Premium.....

Thing to do is probably hang on until mid July when you can get them with a Windows 7 upgrade cert..... :D
    According to a Reg article here the 8Gb SSD Linux version is only temp- it will be upgraded to a 160Gb HDD version @ the same price as soon as they use up their stock of 8Gb SSDs?

Best of all- its Ubuntu it ships with- not the poxy Linpus distro that was on the early versions of the Aspire. Its June and I already know what my Christmas pressie is going to be!

This is an excellent development.... :)

I don't really need one as my ps3 will work fine for streaming media to the tv but fúck it, I might get one just to mess about with it. £150 is pretty cheap for what it is. Glad to see they're not using that linpus piece of crap, I hope they take it off the netbooks as well.

I don't really need one as my ps3 will work fine for streaming media to the tv but fúck it, I might get one just to mess about with it. £150 is pretty cheap for what it is. Glad to see they're not using that linpus piece of crap, I hope they take it off the netbooks as well.

Tell me about it! I've got one of those eeebox (the B203b)- my hardware collection is bizzare! I really don't need one either- but by God, I want one!!!

I fear a hardware purchase on ebay is coming on......

link here

So they're already on 250Gb HDDs, Gigabit LAN and Wireless N in Asia...... At £200 incl. of shipping- I think we're in reasonable territory.

Wonder why the specs are so much better than the regular EU version?

Btw- I got an EEEbox B203 off this guy before, I'm quite happy to go back again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ceoexec2

has anyone got one of these since and if so what are the pros and cons.

there is a review on the site here somewhere that mentioned that it is not great for web browsing or flash video like you tube but was great for games. does anyione jknow if
    those isues have been resolved.

is this model a better choice
    ASRock > Products > NetTop Series > ION 330HT

revo is for sale here
    Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ceoexec2, have a look at the link below for a smattering of ION products. I would certainly place the ASRock above the Revo, but it is probably pricier.

Shop around on European sites for the ASRock, the price varies a lot.

http://www.linuxtech.net/features/nvidia_ion_products_overview.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement