Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I cover a scar on my back?

• 30-05-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a reasonably large surgical scar on my back and another one going from my chest to my belly button (the first runs around my shoulderblade to under my arm), while I am not ashamed of them (plus the shoulder one looks like a shark bite :D) I do feel a bit self conscious about them. Is there any way that I could hide them, I would also want to ensure that it has sun protection too. Funny thing is that I have another scar on my neck and that seems to have blended in, ah well.

I know that I could just cover up clothes wise but I do not see why I should have to - I will be wearing a bickini and have lots of backless dresses this summer and want to wear them but last year I had a few nasty stares.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can't imagine it will be easy to find something to cover them without clothing, especially in the heat of summer. (Optimism, people!)

I can't think of anything but I wanted to say ignore the nasty stares. That says more about other people than it does about you. I have scars on my neck, chest and shoulder following an accident when I was younger and if people have a problem with them they can just get lost.

But I will have a think about it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I know that I should just ignore the stares, they are a sign of courage more than anything else, but no one wants other people looking at you - yes I could wear a swimsuit but that would only cover part of them, plus my body shape does not suit them...to be fair, looking at the one on my tummy, it is not that bad, the one on my back still looks like a black mark a bit. I do love backless dresses though (my fault).

I was on holidays abroad last year when I got some rather nasty looks and it made me a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pfxh

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I was on holidays abroad last year when I got some rather nasty looks and it made me a bit paranoid.
    Sure, God love ya that you've got just a few scars that people stare at.
    I know people that have a lot more than just some scars to concern them.
    Don't ya have some good points too in your appearance? Maybe that's what they're staring at.
    And even if they were lookin' at your scars -- so **** what? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Hi Cathy,

I honestly don't know how some people can be so mindblowingly rude, but there ya go.
    If you're willing to go the make-up route, there's a concealer/foundation called dermablend by Vichy which can be used to cover scars.
    I used it to cover a scar my mum had and it did a pretty good job.
    It's designed for this sort of thing.
    You'll find it in a lot of chemists, just make sure the shade is right.
    Also, if you get stares from people, I find staring back in an equally rude manner at their face seems to get rid of most! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TonyRomo

pfxh wrote: »

I hate people like you that resort to this reasoning.

Tinted sunscreen. Im a guy so dont know what colour that stuff comes out like but maybe that works

• Advertisement

pfxh wrote: »
    Don't ya have some good points too in your appearance? Maybe that's what they're staring at.
    And even if they were lookin' at your scars -- so **** what? :)
    The scars were from very serious surgery and yes I do have more in my life to think about (such as my illness coming back) but when you are out you sometimes just want to forget the past and be "normal" whatever that is. It was tough enough loosing my hair from the treatments I underwent but now I am at a stage where I just want my life back, I have my hair back and I feel like me except for my back in particular. The stares were from people in Portugal, the Irish seem to be nicer about these things in general. My husband tries to reassure me but to no avail. I should say that I still wear the dresses but would rather not have people gawking.

Bronte - would the dermablend have sun protection? (Hope that you do not mind me asking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

cover them with tattoos

carly_86 wrote: »
    cover them with tattoos
    I would rather only have a tatoo in a place that is not exposed to the sun (am not against them, but personally do not like big ones), plus the biggest scar follows the line of shoulder blade and I imagine that getting one there would be sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

pretty sure you can get creams to reduce the appearance of scars ..... why hide them... they tell an interesting story in part of your life ...it makes you more interesting.... scars are usually more sensitive to the touch...when someone traces their fingers along them :D

dont change a thing .... they define you !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I would rather only have a tatoo in a place that is not exposed to the sun (am not against them, but personally do not like big ones), plus the biggest scar follows the line of shoulder blade and I imagine that getting one there would be sore.

Getting a tattoo on ur shoulder blade is not sore it depends on how much pain u can take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This is not an immediate quick fix, but Créme de la Mer (bloody expensive stuff) afaik was originally developed to help heal scars and reduce the look of them - might be worth a look for a longer term solution.

It's hard to combine makeup and sunprotection - scars need stronger sun protection than usual, and most makeups only come with up to factor 15. That wouldn't be enough for me, but you know your own skin.

One possibly silly idea is to get those coloured zinc sticks (something like these), get your husband to draw them on over the scars, and then draw on other patterns as well.

I'd usually have a few sarongs as well just for a bit of extra coverage if you were going for a bit of a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

There is also make-up available to cover up scars. I would recommend going into Make-up forever on clarendon street, they do a great cover-up for scars, tattoos and birthmarks. The staff are really helpful too! It's a bit of a hassle to do but it's grand for the odd night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bio-oil is supposed to be good at getting rid of scars. It might be worth a shot. I have a big scar on my elbow from slipping on spilled drink and landing on a bottle.
    Was nasty eww I hate blood. I was wondering why my mother kept rubbing bio-oil on it until she told me she was trying to get rid of the scar. I told her to feck off that I wanted to keep the scar. Its a good conversation starter. Turns out it wasnt a bottle I slipped on. It was someone stabbing me and me defending myself ha ha ha.
    I know people said it already but I would try to ignore the stairs. Scars are like little stories of your life imprinted on you.
    Best of luck and enjoy your holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fruity

hi cathy, maybe take a look at www.coverderm.com can't vouch for their stuff and don't know if they deliver to ireland but the before and after pics look good and the whole site seems to be dedicated to camaflouge make up for different skin problems. hope you find something to suit you and best of luck in the future.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Hey, this is a second vote for bio oil, my friend used it post-op on a rather extreme scar and it was wonderful, healed it brilliantly, it's not invisible but it's a faint mark rather than long dark ridge.

And definitely glare back at the horrible people!

x Chupi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Another vote for Bio oil. Brilliant stuff.

I've tried the scar reducing patches and tbh didn't find them all that great. They may work on newer scars but my scar was about 15 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

There is make up you can get that covers tattoos. They use it on on stage and for films.

http://www.face2.ie/tatcover.htm

Thats in Makeup forever in Dublin. I'm sure if you go into them they will try it on your skin to see if it covers it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I've lost the box belonging to mine D'oh!
    I've had a look online though, and as far as I can make out, It has an SPF of 20.
    Hope that helps!

I just wanted to thank people for the very helpful responses - it should help me to go out and forget about things for a while - thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emmaelizabeth

hi,i would just like to say that you shouldnt feel self conscious,although i understand you might. i have just had surgery and have been left with a large scar running along my collarbone round to my back.while i dont love it,i am proud of it,as it reminds me of how i pulled through a tough situation.besides it makes me different:) so wear your scars with pride,i think their kinda cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Another vote for Bio Oil, my cousin used it on her scar after two caesareans and its practically gone now. If not Bio Oil, Vitamin E is supposed to be very good to help scars heal also - you get the tablets, open them, and rub the liquid inside on the scar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Hey just wanted to say, if you decide to use a camoflauge make-up, setting it with baby powder on top/in between layers will help it last longer!
    most companies that sell camoflauge make up sell setting powders for them, but baby powder is as good and cheaper.
    Also if you do to use bio-oil(which I think is a great idea), don't use it before using the make-up, as the make-up won't stick to oily skin.
    Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your holiday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Knowing you purely from this site Cathy you don't strike me as the sort of person who gives a flying pig what other people think about you.

Scars are coool, sign of courage and bravery. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

My mum had her kidney removed last year and has a scar running horizontally across her whole front just under her bustline. She was recommended Vitamin E capsules, just cut the tops off them and rub it on the area. 99% sure it was Vitamin E anyway, I'll check later, they're still domwnstairs somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

People will stare no matter what, get used to it and move on with your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Another vote for vitamin E and Bio Oil!

All the best

Advertisement