Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pudding bowl cake?

Options
  • 30-05-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Would anybody here know if it is possible to cook a proper sponge cake in a pudding bowl?:confused:
    I just came across a cake in a cookery book where they put two pudding bowl shaped sponge cakes on top of each other to make a mushroom shape.
    I really want to make this cake as a novelty cake in our local agricultural show tomorrow:eek: so I would be very grateful to anybody who could give me help as soon as possible.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't see why not, as long as it is oven ready material. The one problem is that if it is too big it will take a long time for the heat to penetrate to the centre, so a big bowl might end up with dried outsides by the time the middle is cooked. Muffins or fairy cakes would be a similar enough shape but obviously smaller so the heat gets to the middle faster. Might need to be cooked at a slightly lower temp to allow for this. Could be some other tricks people might know.

You could always just bake regular cakes and cut them into shapes and use icing to stick them together, like building a wall with bricks & cement. You could trim excess off and just eat it to make round shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

rubadub wrote: »
    You could always just bake regular cakes and cut them into shapes and use icing to stick them together, like building a wall with bricks & cement. You could trim excess off and just eat it to make round shapes.

Yes, that would probably be the best idea as the only pudding bowls I have at the moment are plastic and unless I can find earthenware ones I couldn't put them in the oven.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A lot of plastic stuff is oven ready these day, though some oven ready meals are really only made for single use. No point taking a risk unless certain.

A sort of off topic tip is that many soups come in strong microwaveable containers, with strong snap on reusable lids, they are often cheaper than buying empty ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If you have a steamer, steam it for around 30mins, stick a knife/toothpick/skewer in the centre to see if it's cooked. If it comes out clean, it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Thanks 4 all the ideas.

In the end I baked them in stainless steel bowls . . . but the cakes kind of burned around the edges:o. I spent all evening trying to clean the bowls as they weren't mine:eek: and eventually found that bread soda works:).

The fact that the cakes burned around the edges had no real effect on dem though. I just scraped off de burned bits nd iced the cake. I entered it in the show only 2 find out that there was nobody else in the category.
    Ah well, they still tasted good.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement