Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Less swallows

• 30-05-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

There seem to be less swallows around this year?
    Has anyone else found this to be the case?
    Our normal nest in the old shed has not been taken up, despite the swallows working on it earlier last month........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

you AARE RIGHT THERE ARE LESS SWALLOWS HERE THIS YEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bansheee

grellan1 wrote: »
    There seem to be less swallows around this year?
    Has anyone else found this to be the case?
    Our normal nest in the old shed has not been taken up, despite the swallows working on it earlier last month........

Yea same here the swallows checked out their usual site but haven't started to build!

Very few swallows to be seen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Good news i have two nests this year but still less swallows than usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Found two swallows nesting in my garage last week. Commented to my wife on how you never see them anymore. Locked up the garage (expect the window they were using to fly in and out) to keep the dog away and let nature take its course. Nest appears empty now, did I scare them off or would the chicks be gone by now. Would love to think they will be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I know there very worried about them in Britain but I must admit i haven't seen much change in their numbers here in recent years. Thats not to say their haven't been local declines elsewhere. Still any decline in such a previously widespread and common migrant is a cause for concern and is yet another red flag on how humans as a species are degrading the biosphere at a frightening and irreversible pace:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Having talked to a few people in this subject, it does indeed appear that their numbers are down on previous years. Just hope its down to the last 2 poor summers and not anythings more serious:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bansheee

Most year we would see at least at least 20 or more swallows around our house , we live close to a lake.
    This year we have seen only two, so there is a definite decline in our area.
    I will contact Birdwatch Ireland and see have they had similar experiences or reports from other members:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

There's definitely a problem with them negotiating the Sahara Desert as it gets bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

I was at home in Wexford last weekend and found a nest with four little swallows in it. They are a great bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Maybe the cold wet spring has delayed nest building.
    Perhaps there will be a late burst, leading to a spectacularly successful breeding season.

Here's a pic of last year's nestlings. West Donegal.
    Dawrosswallows.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Thanks for bringing the topic up,folks.Yea there is definitely a drop in the number of swallows and martins[haven't seen a swift for yonks!].Songbirds noticeably fewer in numbers, to me,also.Must check it out,something useful to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

Deffo noticed that around Kildare and northwest Wexford. The numbers are well down.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Walkman wrote: »
    Found two swallows nesting in my garage last week. Commented to my wife on how you never see them anymore. Locked up the garage (expect the window they were using to fly in and out) to keep the dog away and let nature take its course. Nest appears empty now, did I scare them off or would the chicks be gone by now. Would love to think they will be back next year.

about 15 years ago,midsummer,I think,found 3 swallows dead on floor in shed in nth Wexford.Corn spraying was in action in nearby fields.Poor buggers,lay in formation just like the birds on the Power's whiskey label.However,swallows returned the following years.

Advertisement