Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which version of this photo do you prefer. Colour or black and white ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I really like the black and white. It makes the shot more interesting imo.
    Though one thing in the colour one is that the eye is drawn more to the boules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

B&W for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

B&W too. Colour is too saturated in the first one and heavy on the HDR. Works with the B&W though very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

majiktripp wrote: »
    B&W too. Colour is too saturated in the first one and heavy on the HDR. Works with the B&W though very well.

I agree, the colour one is a bit overdone. The B&W is nice BUT I'd try a different mix. Looks like you channel mixed that at 100% red to get the B&W version. I'd mix in a lot more blue. The blue channel, particularly for older guys like in this picture introduces a lot more character into the faces. Using only the red channel any wrinkles and lines tend to wash out a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

B&W is a nice touch!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Black and white for me to. Colour wicked bright in the colour one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

B&W for me, I HATE overdone colour HDR pictures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

B&W for me too.

I like the composition & the Boule in the foreground.

The skin tones seem to be a bit too burnt & the background is distracting but could easily be toned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bella_Blue_Star

These are both beautiful shots, really. While most people seem to prefer B&W, I have to say that I prefer the colour version. Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

The B&W one looks so well, I've started to desaturate my HDR stuff, definitely looks better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I'd prefer to see the colour toned down a bit personally, or a different mix of B&W - the guy on the far right looks wrong - there's no difference between his head and shirt!

Great pic all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HappyGirl1976

I've a soft spot for B&W photos anyway... and I like the depth of the B&W one here. But someone had a good point in that your eye is definitely drawn to the boche balls (or whatever they call it in france) when in color.

PS - just checked out your website and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture on your home page... breathtaking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I'll be a sheep and say Baaahlack and White

Both are good pictures, though B&W does it for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not sure about the B&W
    At this time of the night that first guy on the left looks abit like one of the undead.

Not trying to be funny - but just how it appears to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I prefer the B & W

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Colour one foe me.............great shot!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

why does everyone process their colour images like this these day's????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Has to be colour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

two of the guys in the bw look like the undead, the guys on the left and right - far too pale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

The HDR version is definitely overcooked.

A B&W version would be better, but not the one you have here. Try playing around with the channels and the contrast and get a much more vibrant B&W version as opposed to a flat greyscale.

The composition is good though. You have the makings of a really good shot here, just keep working on the processing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Going against the grain I prefer the first one but I'd much prefer it with subtler colours. I agree with the folk here that it looks too saturated. The B&W version I'm afraid is just too flat looking for me.

As another poster pointed out the composition of the photo is excellent, so keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Genuinely appreciate the comments folks. It's amazing what a little outside perspective can bring.

Sometimes you can be working on a photo for to long and you miss things so it is always great to get second opinions.

Here are reworked versioned.

It is true that I went a bit OTT on the HDR on the colour one. I've never really done HDR before so I did a few "normal ones" and wanted to try a more extreme one and didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would. I do agree that it was a little over saturated though so I've toned that down a bit. The painterly effect I don't mind for this type of shot tbh. You see some that have no contrast at all and huge halos around everything. They're the ones I can't stand.

[URL="[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3581238570_1fc57a8406_o.jpg[/IMG]"]3581238570_1fc57a8406_o.jpg[/URL]

As for the black and white, the points about the faces being washed out were spot on. It made them lose the character that made me notice them in the first place and they did look a bit like zombies so I've darkened the skin tones a little to bring back that detail.

[URL="[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3346/3580428483_7a96d043a6_o.jpg[/IMG]"]3580428483_7a96d043a6_o.jpg[/URL]

Many thanks for the very helpful comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

Both much better, well done.

Where was the shot taken, btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The HDR version is definitely overcooked.

A B&W version would be better, but not the one you have here. Try playing around with the channels and the contrast and get a much more vibrant B&W version as opposed to a flat greyscale.

The composition is good though. You have the makings of a really good shot here, just keep working on the processing.
    I agree 100% with all these points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Both much better, well done.

Where was the shot taken, btw?

Thanks. The shot was taken in Brive in South West France. I spent a year there 10 years ago as a language assistant. That is where I met the missus so we were back visiting. Decent rugby team there. They won the Heineken in 1997 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Hee's a shot I took today in the garden, a shot I've seen here probably dozens of times :pac:. I only realised afterwards that the colour and B&W are almost identical.

Colour

3586999944_86e4026417.jpg

B&W

3587000340_21a0d1930e.jpg

Advertisement