Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Afternoon Tea Cake

Options
  • 30-05-2009 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

Coffee Cake :D

/End thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

pfft...... what type of coffee cake? there are many types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

star-pants wrote: »
    pfft...... what type of coffee cake? there are many types

Well . . . the Super Value coffee cake we have at the moment is nice although possibly the sponge is a bit dry. The flavour of coffee is uterrly orgasmic however!

Super Quinn give good coffee cake. Better sponge moisture with a coffee cream which is richer and creamier. It lacks the compactness of the Super Value coffee cake however and is quite filling for afternoon tea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Shop-bought cake will never be the best type of any cake!!Home made cakes ftw every time.

True I do love homemade goods... I do like to bake (although I admit shamefully it's been ages). I like apple pie hot with some icecream or lemon meringue pie! mmm oh and baked alaskas a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Coffee cake is for coffee. The best cake for afternoon tea is homemade tea brack with real butter. YUM !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

My favourite at the moment is sponge cake soaked with lemon stock syrup and layered with lemon curd buttercream. Lemons would take the exessive sweetness from the sponge. A proper sponge cake will never be "dry" :P

Another favourite (though rather time consuming and tricky to make :cool:) is a hazelnut merengue cake with choco buttercream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're having afternoon TEA, then you'll be drinking tea. Meringues and the like will not do. Has to be a soft jam sponge. Lashings of cream. And a pot of tea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Carrot cake, or carrot and orange cake, with inch-think frosting. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Faith wrote: »
    Carrot cake, or carrot and orange cake, with inch-think frosting. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

tesco finest perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

First of all for me it has to be homebaked. I'm torn between Madeira Cake, Jam Swiss Roll and Pound Cake as made by my late granny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I'd agree on the Carrot Cake but I am also partial to apple strudel (not a cake granted) or Cinnamon Rolls (both iced of course).

wipes the drool off his keyboard........

emc2 wrote: »
    I'd agree on the Carrot Cake but I am also partial to apple strudel (not a cake granted) or Cinnamon Rolls (both iced of course).

wipes the drool off his keyboard........

Oh cinnamon rolls like heroin to me. Can't get enough of them! Apple strudel is amazing too.

Viennese fingers... nyom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Victoria sponge, in all its jammy creamy glory, nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I agree with Mrs. Flitworth, Victoria Sponge wins hands down! Homemade though yummmmmmmmmmm

Victoria sponge is amazing too! With cream and jam though, not buttercream.

I really like cakes, it appears. Had a savage carrot cake on Thursday.

tesco finest perhaps?

Yes. I tried this today on your suggestion. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I'd go for Butlers Pantry coffee cake or lemon drizzle cake. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Lemon drizzle or a nice pear and almond tart or a queen cake.. my OH loves battenburg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

Carrot cake or a chocolate and hazelnut layered sandwich. Yummy!!!
    I also love a slice of upside down pear cake with a good cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

chocgirl wrote: »
    I'd go for Butlers Pantry coffee cake or lemon drizzle cake. Love it

+1 on the Butler's Pantry coffee cake.
    They sell it by the slice in Clontarf - nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wilde86

Anything from the queen of tarts on Dame St. is scrumptious. Lovely set up in there too. The little added touches like old china cups and saucers make it even more appealing. Mmmm... Yummy.

Wilde86 wrote: »
    Anything from the queen of tarts on Dame St. is scrumptious. Lovely set up in there too. The little added touches like old china cups and saucers make it even more appealing. Mmmm... Yummy.

ooooh that sounds like it requires a visit next time I'm shopping in town! whereabouts on Dame st is it?

mmmm I'd love some victoria sponge right now - might whip one up actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wilde86

ooooh that sounds like it requires a visit next time I'm shopping in town! whereabouts on Dame st is it?

mmmm I'd love some victoria sponge right now - might whip one up actually :)

Hee.. It's right across the road from Dublin castle. Little place beside the restaurant 'Toscana'.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I had some delicious fresh cream sponge cake with coffee icing last week, bought in a local bakery, bit chancy buying it for visitors tho' as I've found a lot of people don't like Coffee flavoured stuff for some reason I can't fathom.
    I also love chocolate fudge cake mmmm! Always orgasmic no matter where you buy, maybe heated a little with a dollop of fresh or ice cream.
    Jamaica ginger is lovely too, you can have it heated too with fresh cream, ice cream or custard.

I made a delicious victoria sponge with jam and cream last night. Devine. I'll be having that with a cuppa after my dins tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crossman

Biscuits always dahling, especially ones with chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

The best thing for Afternoon Tea is a fresh scone, served warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam!

Coffee on the other hand is when I break out the carrot cake with mascarpone frosting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Madeira Cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Hard to find here methinks, but I once had a red velvet cake in a gorgeus little teashop in Notting Hill, an out of body experience to say the least!

Advertisement