Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Become a vote counter

Options
  • 30-05-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

How does one become a vote counter for the upcoming local and European elections?

I searched through the County Council website, Google, and the public jobs and found no explanation of the process one goes through to become a vote counter.

Yes, I know that Im probably to late at this stage....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

FROM MY EXPERIENCE

you need to know someone involved - its all nepotism I'm afraid.

similarly with supervising the exams in schools (Leaving/junior cert)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

its usually council or court staff appointed to do it,

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Closed shop my friend - jobs for the lads n lassies.

Tried (in vain) over the last while and came against brick walls, lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Election counters are usually local authority staff and some county registrars' staff, many of them with experience over a number of elections.

The Returning officer needs to be sure all the team are competent, numerate, and efficient. The returnig officer has a lot to do in the run up to an election, and would not have time for advertising for vacancies, interviewing and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

nuac wrote: »
    Election counters are usually local authority staff and some county registrars' staff, many of them with experience over a number of elections.

The Returning officer needs to be sure all the team are competent, numerate, and efficient. The returnig officer has a lot to do in the run up to an election, and would not have time for advertising for vacancies, interviewing and training.

So without interviews etc how can they be sure they have the right person for the job....hmmm.

Closed shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Most counters are local authority staff. These would all have benn interviewed for their LA posts and for any promotion sought. The County Registrar - i.e. the Returnig Officer - would know many of them personally and be aware that they were competent. Horses for courses rather than a closed shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep purely extra income for the Public Sector, god knows there enough people with college degrees looking for work, but its just the local council workers that get the job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Villain wrote: »
    Yep purely extra income for the Public Sector, god knows there enough people with college degrees looking for work, but its just the local council workers that get the job.

Yes indeed give the students the counting job. They'll be set for life. Put the deposit on that first house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mate got a job doing it for the one's coming up. Nice few quid seemingly. His sisters are all involved in local council.

Closed shop is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Normal people can get jobs at the polling stations afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Pythia wrote: »
    Normal people can get jobs at the polling stations afaik.

Actually its quite easy to get a job in a polling station, I think the only proviso is that your not a member of a political party. You just write a letter to your the Returing Officer app;ying for the position of a polling clerk, your name is put on a list and you get a letter in the post 7 or 8 weeks before the elections

Advertisement