Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spots/smudges show up in photos

• 30-05-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I have a Canon Powershot and recently my photos have these annoying spots/smudges in them. I've polished the outside of the lens carefully but no luck, there must be something in there :( could anyone tell me how this problem could be remedied? Would it be a bad idea to take the camera apart myself?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. A relatively decent shot (by my own standards anyway) completely spoiled.

IMG_0970.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

That looks more like contamination of the sensor to me.

What model Camera is it?

I would not take it apart unless it's a case of nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its a Powershot A570 IS. Yeah I figured as much, I don't reckon this thing is designed to be taken apart to be cleaned, even by a professional. I can retouch the smudges out but its a laborious task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Dust on the sensor.

So I can basically write the camera off then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It could be marks from condensation too.

Have you recently taken the camera from a cold enviroment into a warm humid one?

The cost of repair would probably be a large part of the replacement cost.

How old is the camera?

• Advertisement

The camera is 12-18 months old, its not that expensive but I like Powershots, its my second one. The smudging is only really visible on light, uniform backgrounds (like skies) so I guess I can still use it from time to time.

Can't remember if I brought it into different environments, I don't abuse it but I don't really mollycoddle it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It is really hard to tell. I'd blow my sensor if I saw pictures like that from my DSLR. Maybe to contact official service with this picture attached and asked them for opinion/price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I reckon it's dust moreso than condensation, condensation would be a bit more 'glowy' - The reason it's showing up on light photographs is the aperture is stopping down, leaving less light in, which shows up more dust/defects etc :)

I'm not sure how ballsy you are, but it might be worth ringing up Canon complaining about it. See if you can get a free repair. Tbh, it's something that shouldn't happen on a compact camera - It's a nessicary evil on a DSLR, but not on a compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't imagine it'd be cost effective to get a P&S cleaned. I had a problem with dust on the sensor on a DSC-P200, I managed to get it cleaned for free via work but a few months down the line dust was into it again and I really looked after that camera. I ended up swapping it for some DVDs on Adverts. :(

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it. Maybe it would be worth giving Canon a shout and chance my arm about a free repair. I actually had to send the camera back once before because the arpeture was not opening at all when I was trying to take shots.

One more thing I've noticed - when I use the optical zoom the smudges are zoomed also - does this mean the debris could be on the lens and not the sensor? Not that it makes any difference I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hmmm, that's different. Is it definitely just on the optical zoom?

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Hmmm, that's different. Is it definitely just on the optical zoom?

Urgh, my mistake - I actually noticed that happening in a movie I shot, but I've realised that when shooting a movie it uses digital zoom not optic, doh. My bad, carry on :o

Advertisement